PDA

View Full Version : Playhouses

saddie23
05-26-2011, 09:25 AM
I would love some information and feedback about outdoor playhouses. We have a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old. I think a playhouse would get a lot of play, but have some concerns.

Plastic or wood? The only wooden one that we are considering is the one at Costco, which seems to have mixed reviews. Do the plastic ones get really hot? Any feedback on the Coscto wooden playhouse that is currently for sale?

Spiders? I read some posts here and other places that playhouses get filled with spiders. How bad does it get? Does building a floor help at all?

Does your playhouse get a lot of play - is it worth it?

kristac
05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Ours is a spider house. It is on a brick patio but still the spiders LOVE it. We don't use any pestacides in the yard though- not sure if that affects the spider population. I try to convince my kiddos to pretend the webs are halloween decorations but no dice. They don't use it a ton... Just whenever I am considering selling it ;) It is plastic (Log cabin style), they've never complained about it getting hot.

If you decide you want one I'd suggest craigslist.

MoJo
05-26-2011, 01:26 PM
We have a plastic one and a very shady yard. Heat hasn't been a problem, but spiders and wasps have been. We don't have a floor, but I doubt it would help.

It would get ALOT more play if it wasn't for the bugs (I'm sure, because JellyBean asks about it every time we're out. . . but DH hasn't taken care of it, and I'm too scared of wasps since I'm allergic to bees to do it myself.)

ETA: We got it when JellyBean turned one. . . your children's ages are perfect for one, I think!

vonfirmath
05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Anyone have a fabric playhouse inside? Does that get played with?

saddie23
05-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Ugh I am not allergic to bees but I hate them, and spiders too!

I wonder if a more open design would have less of a bee/spider problem - something like this (first time doing a link, hope it works):
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Home-Garden-Playhouse/dp/B00328322A (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Home-Garden-Playhouse/dp/B00328322A)

Anyone have a fabric playhouse inside? Does that get played with?

I'd like feedback on these too - we have the Rose Petal Cottage but haven't set it up yet. I have read that it is small so I better get it out before my older DD gets too big for it!

wendibird22
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
My girls were just gifted this (http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Countryside-Cottage/dp/B0032BEJ2O/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1306435108&sr=8-24) Step 2 playhouse from the grandparents. They are 4yo and 17mos and both are enjoying it. I can't comment about the bugs or heat because well it's only 70deg here and we've only had it up for a month. I like the roof height of this one as I think it will get several years of play before the 4yo gets too big for it. And given how simple and open it is I think I'd have an easy time hosing it out if the bugs get bad.

waitingforgrace
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
We have a fabric playhouse and it gets played with a ton when I set it up.

We have this pop up tunnel
http://www.amazon.com/PlayHut-9000-76R-Disney-Princess-Tunnel/dp/B002KT1YK4/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1306434953&sr=8-32

and we have this set
http://www.amazon.com/Playhut-Lil-Explorers-Crawl-Play/dp/B0019O50V0/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1306435016&sr=8-49

It's really easy to set up and store. I bought the set at TRU (reg price $30 I think) with a coupon and the tunnel was 75% off at Target a few months back.

infomama
05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
We have two playhouses for indoor use but the Rose Petal Cottage gets tons of play. Tons.

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2011, 04:39 PM
We have the Costco one from 2 years ago. No spiders and it gets tons of play. It's been worth it, for sure!!

Beth

catpagmo
05-26-2011, 05:49 PM
I'd like feedback on these too - we have the Rose Petal Cottage but haven't set it up yet. I have read that it is small so I better get it out before my older DD gets too big for it!

DD got the Rose Petal Cottage when she turned 3, and she was just about too big for it, so it did not last long. We have a Little Tykes playhouse, and we have not had any spider issues, but it does tend to get hot. But, both my kids love it and it gets tons of play.

saddie23
05-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Thank you for all of the feedback!

My girls were just gifted this (http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Countryside-Cottage/dp/B0032BEJ2O/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1306435108&sr=8-24) Step 2 playhouse from the grandparents. They are 4yo and 17mos and both are enjoying it. I can't comment about the bugs or heat because well it's only 70deg here and we've only had it up for a month. I like the roof height of this one as I think it will get several years of play before the 4yo gets too big for it. And given how simple and open it is I think I'd have an easy time hosing it out if the bugs get bad.

I was looking at this one too! Good to hear that the roof on this one is good for a 4 year old because I think a lot of them look small/short.

We have the Costco one from 2 years ago. No spiders and it gets tons of play. It's been worth it, for sure!!

Beth

I'm glad your kids enjoy it!! Do you think it is holding up well? I think the Costco ones are so cute but the one on the website right now (which is not the same one in the store, I don't think) have somewhat bad reviews. One I read said it fell apart! I think the one on the website and the one in the store are KidKraft - do you know if the one you have is KidKraft?

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm glad your kids enjoy it!! Do you think it is holding up well? I think the Costco ones are so cute but the one on the website right now (which is not the same one in the store, I don't think) have somewhat bad reviews. One I read said it fell apart! I think the one on the website and the one in the store are KidKraft - do you know if the one you have is KidKraft?

Yes, it is a KidKraft one. The door is a bit broken but I have little doubt that my kids had something to do with it. The plastic roof is faded as is the house a little bit but otherwise it's held up well 2 years outside.

Beth

elephantmeg
05-28-2011, 02:45 AM
we just ordered a step 2 house this week from walmart.com (free site to store shipping) it's the sweetheart playhouse

ahrimie
05-29-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm not sure if colors have something to do with it. We don't have a playhouse but we have a Rainbow set outside. We stained it red last year and it has bright yellow pieces near the beams--where HUGE bumblebees LOVE to be. These are not regular bees but GINORMOUS bees. We never noticed a bee population pre-playset era though...

MSWR0319
05-29-2011, 07:40 PM

We have is one too. DS really likes it. I like that it has a high roof, like PP said. We did have a few spiders in ours this year, but just wiped down the sides and it got rid of the webs. Not a big deal. If you go this route, check Walmart.com. We got ours there for about $190 which was way cheaper than other places. I think the price has gone up but may be worth a check.