PDA

View Full Version : For Those With Panic Attacks- a Question

Indianamom2
05-26-2011, 01:15 PM
The quick question is this: Can an episode of extreme fear bring on a new wave of panic attacks that had previously been controlled?

Here's why I'm asking: My anxiety/panic attacks seemed to be under control over the last few months. I've not been taking any meds and I've been doing fine. Not totally anxiety-free, but not having panic attacks, if that makes sense.

Then last Thursday's carbon monoxide poisoning episode happened and that totally and completely terrified me. It just came out of the blue and that rush of adrenaline and fear was pretty strong that day. It took me a few hours to calm down to "normal".

However, since then, I think I've been having some panic attacks again. Last night, I went to the mall to look for a dress for DD. I walked into Gymboree and thought I would pass out. I felt this weird sensation all through my body and my head has felt weird for a while and I don't know how to describe it other than just feeling like I simultaneously wanted to run away and call 911. I assume this is just a new manifestation of panic attacks.

I just went to a new family doctor yesterday morning and he is running all sorts of new bloodwork, so that's already taken care of....but still, does this sound plausible? I really, really, really don't want to start all the panic up again so I'm trying to be reasonable. I also really, really, REALLY don't want to have to bring all this anxiety into my relationship with my new doctor...at least not right at the beginning. I think it's part of the problem with my former doctor. I think he just assumed it was more anxiety and not something "real".

Any suggestions?

Naranjadia
05-26-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm not a doctor, of course, but I have experience with panic attacks, and several family members with it, too.

I would assume an episode of extreme fear could act like any other major stressor. I had my first panic attack in about 10 years this spring, due to a series of stressors. Family members have had them after long "dry" spells due to depression, miscarriage, death of a relative.

If you're trying to think medically about options, you might consider at least getting something you can have on hand if it happens again, like klonopin or xanex or whatever worked for you. Sometimes the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have "a plan" can help.

Indianamom2
05-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the response. I have klonopin here in the house, but I never ended up taking it. I'm a little hesitant to start something but at the same time, I CANNOT fall back into this pattern of panic over and over. It's not fair to my family.

I'm just frustrated because I thought it was under control and one stupid scary moment does me in? Ugh...

Naranjadia
05-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the response. I have klonopin here in the house, but I never ended up taking it. I'm a little hesitant to start something but at the same time, I CANNOT fall back into this pattern of panic over and over. It's not fair to my family.

I'm just frustrated because I thought it was under control and one stupid scary moment does me in? Ugh...

I hear you. When I had my panic attack this spring, I was at work and had to get DH to bring me a klonopin. But my thought at the time was "Not again!" You should keep in mind that it may be a one-off occurrence - sort of like an "aftershock" from the carbon monoxide experience.

Also, klonopin is good because it can be as needed, unlike some of the other anxiety meds that have to take time to have an effect and have to be ramped up and weaned off.

It's impossible to caution someone with anxiety about worrying about it - but remember that this is not something you are doing, it's chemicals in your brain or whatever the lastest theory is :p I'm just concerned that the more you worry about controlling it for the sake of your family, the more anxious you will become.

robinsmommy
05-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I do think that it can, I'm guessing that it is actually re-triggers something chemically in the brain- I find that if I can break the cycle, it doesn't continue to spiral downwards...if not, well, it gets ugly and I have to start from scratch.

So, for me that means exercise, preferably something really hard like running or really restorative like yoga, both is even better. Fresh air and sun are good, too.

Avoiding more triggers - I don't do news/internet if I'm having problems, esp with all the ugly weather in tornado alley - scary stuff I have no control over is the worst. The earthquake in Japan was hard on me - DH just didn't get it - "hey, look at this video!" - we had a loooong talk about that, he is better but still doesn't quite get it. Big, noisy environments can be bad too (like the mall....)

Making sure I get enough sleep, even with the stressors - this is the hardest, but most important thing for me. With not enough sleep I quickly turn into a real mess. I use meds if that is what it takes to sleep.

Socialize in ways that feel safe - therapy if you do that, talking in a comfortable place with a trusted friend, post on the BBB....

Keep your brain busy - keep music on, de-clutter, do work that keeps your hands AND your brain busy - computer games that are not too adrenalized if nothing else. Anything to break the cycle of thinking about bad stuff and what-ifs.

And whatever else I need for extra self-care - baths, cups o' tea, calls to mom, putting the kids in front of a movie so I can read a book, do what you need to do.

Hang in there mama!:grouphug:

Indianamom2
05-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I hear you. When I had my panic attack this spring, I was at work and had to get DH to bring me a klonopin. But my thought at the time was "Not again!" You should keep in mind that it may be a one-off occurrence - sort of like an "aftershock" from the carbon monoxide experience.

Also, klonopin is good because it can be as needed, unlike some of the other anxiety meds that have to take time to have an effect and have to be ramped up and weaned off.

It's impossible to caution someone with anxiety about worrying about it - but remember that this is not something you are doing, it's chemicals in your brain or whatever the lastest theory is :p I'm just concerned that the more you worry about controlling it for the sake of your family, the more anxious you will become.

:hysterical: You definitely get it. That made me laugh!

Indianamom2
05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I do think that it can, I'm guessing that it is actually re-triggers something chemically in the brain- I find that if I can break the cycle, it doesn't continue to spiral downwards...if not, well, it gets ugly and I have to start from scratch.

So, for me that means exercise, preferably something really hard like running or really restorative like yoga, both is even better. Fresh air and sun are good, too.

Avoiding more triggers - I don't do news/internet if I'm having problems, esp with all the ugly weather in tornado alley - scary stuff I have no control over is the worst. The earthquake in Japan was hard on me - DH just didn't get it - "hey, look at this video!" - we had a loooong talk about that, he is better but still doesn't quite get it. Big, noisy environments can be bad too (like the mall....)

Making sure I get enough sleep, even with the stressors - this is the hardest, but most important thing for me. With not enough sleep I quickly turn into a real mess. I use meds if that is what it takes to sleep.

Socialize in ways that feel safe - therapy if you do that, talking in a comfortable place with a trusted friend, post on the BBB....

Keep your brain busy - keep music on, de-clutter, do work that keeps your hands AND your brain busy - computer games that are not too adrenalized if nothing else. Anything to break the cycle of thinking about bad stuff and what-ifs.

And whatever else I need for extra self-care - baths, cups o' tea, calls to mom, putting the kids in front of a movie so I can read a book, do what you need to do.

Hang in there mama!:grouphug:

I appreciate your thoughtful response. I am trying to stay busy (which isn't too hard these days). I think I'm a little bit thrown because when I first started having panic attacks about 10 years ago, being home alone was a trigger...when I was around others, I was usually fine.

This time, it seems like being around others is a trigger, and then sometimes being alone. It's such a vicious cycle and I am very tired of it this year.

Melaine
05-26-2011, 02:09 PM

I really agree with this and would take this mindset if I were you, OP. For me, I tend to have clusters of anxiety attacks after periods of long-term stress. More intense events don't seem to be as much a problem as weeks of day-to-day angst. I also rarely have panic attacks during actual stressful events, but around the event when I am otherwise relaxed (ie. in the car driving, trying to sleep, shopping otherwise calmly).
So I would try not to put to much dread into this and assume it was a one-time event. I have definitely had isolated attacks that come and go with no warning and are not followed up by others. For example, I had one a couple weeks ago as we were getting ready for the trip with the wedding and I was super stressed. Fortunately, haven't had any since.

For me, I acknowledge a panic attack (realizing what they were was hugely helpful to me) and then try not to think any more about it. Dwelling on my "diagnosis" is absolutely the worst thing I can do, so I try my hardest not to.

daisymommy
05-26-2011, 02:46 PM
The quick question is this: Can an episode of extreme fear bring on a new wave of panic attacks that had previously been controlled?

Absolutely, positively, without a doubt.
Hows that for an answer? :)
I'm sorry the ugly beast is rearing it's head again. I've been on and off meds. in the past for both depression and anxiety, and I know how disruptive it is to life, what a struggle it is to deal with.
I think you've been given some great advice though, so nothing I can add to that.

robinsmommy
05-26-2011, 04:14 PM
I appreciate your thoughtful response. I am trying to stay busy (which isn't too hard these days). I think I'm a little bit thrown because when I first started having panic attacks about 10 years ago, being home alone was a trigger...when I was around others, I was usually fine.

This time, it seems like being around others is a trigger, and then sometimes being alone. It's such a vicious cycle and I am very tired of it this year.

It really stinks when a trigger changes and you have to figure out all over again what helps or doesn't help (one Dr told me that running might make things worse, but it doesn't for me - I can see that it could for others - it burns off steam for me, but other people might get revved up by it).

I am rather dreading our trip to DL next month with crowds, noise and all that - I guess we'll be taking a big break every day for "down time".

For me things like the mall, DL, the REALLY noisy neighborhood coffeeshop, all stress me out. A walk with a friend, a quiet, early lunch with DH at a restaurant, those type of things work ok.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is a little "mini-episode" of anxiety and that things resolve quickly.