PDA

View Full Version : when to start maternity leave?

Serepta
05-26-2011, 04:23 PM
So, this is probably dumb, but I'm 38 1/2 weeks pregnant and work an extremely stressful job (I'm a school psychologist in a high school setting) requiring me being on my feet a lot running after students in crisis. I really had planned on working up until my due date, but when I went into the Dr. yesterday I confessed that I really don't feel like I can keep up at work anymore due to excessive pain in my back, legs, groin, hips, etc, etc, etc. My Dr. assured me that it was more than fine to stop working at 38 weeks, but I didn't have to stop working if I didn't want to. I chose to go out, but now I feel incredibly guilty about it. The thing is, I really don't have to worry about time after the baby is born because being in a school I don't work in the summers, and I'm due at the beginning of June, which means the last few weeks of school I'll be out, and then don't have to return to work until September (I know many women who choose to work up until their due dates do so so that they will have more time off once the baby is born). So why do I feel so guilty? When did you guys decide to stop working, and how did you make that decision? Am I just being crazy and hormonal by second guessing my decision?

daisymommy
05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Oh goodness honey! Please don't feel guilty! I wouldn't have made it past 8 months! I don't know how pregnant working moms do it! I was in so much pain by that point I could hardly walk or get off the couch.

I worked till 7 months with #1 and had to go on bed rest for high blood pressure. After that I didn't go back to work, but seriously, by 38.5 weeks you have a free pass to lay down, put your feet up, and take care of yourself!

mom2MandC
05-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Wow, I am impressed you made it to 38.5 weeks!! If you can go on maternity leave I definitely would!!!!!!! Run now :-) Enjoy the last week or two before the baby is born to get stuff ready and rest up!! I think you can do this without guilt, especially since it won't eat into any time after the baby is born!!
I am a class room teacher, now SAHM and know how tough it is to be on your feet in the heat of summer (unless you have AC)! You really served your students well!
Enjoy any days off you have and congratulations on your soon to be bundle of joy!!!

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
If you won't burn up maternity leave that you might really want after the baby is born (most moms I know would like an extra bit of time with baby before having to go back to work) then I'd stop. I'd only keep going if you are going to "waste" any maternity leave. Both of my boys came at right around 42 weeks and it'd have stunk to used up 3 weeks before they came, kwim?

Beth

Serepta
05-26-2011, 04:50 PM
ok... thanks, you guys make me feel better. I'm lucky to have a job where I'm able to take leave. I'm a bit of a work-a-holic, and extremely hard on myself, so I think that's part of my trouble letting go of work (although it's a lesson I'll have to learn once the baby does arrive!) I think the bigger issue is that now that I'm out of work it's really hitting home for me that, yes, this baby is coming soon. I think I was burying all of my anxiety about birth and stuff (this is my first child) into dealing with work. Now it's like, wow.... I'm having a baby.... yikes!

goldenpig
05-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Did you apply for disability? We get SDI through our state and it covers 4 weeks prior and 6 weeks after, and 6 weeks of paid family leave after that. That's what I did for #2. I was getting pretty tired by the time I got to maternity leave so I was happy to be done. Now I'm self-employed so if I have another, I won't get to do that--I might have to work up until delivery and come back a couple weeks later, so that is really making me hesitate about having a third. I'd say if you can get the time off, enjoy it and get some rest! You'll be busy soon enough! Congrats on the upcoming baby!

Serepta
05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
I didn't apply for disability because at my job we have to use our sick time first, and I have enough sick time saved up to cover the time (another benefit of working in the school system - your sick days roll over each year you don't use them!). Yeah, so I don't know why I'm second guessing this, other than the fact that I'm a little neurotic when it comes to work. I'm nine months pregnant and so far this school year I've called in sick three times, mainly because I stubbornly dragged myself to work even in the throws of the fatigue, nausea filled first trimester. But, I also worked three days on a sprained ankle a year ago against the Dr's wishes, mainly because I think I'm a bit insane.

vludmilla
05-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Go easy on yourself! I am a school psychologist in a high school too and I also work with students in a therapeutic program so I really know about running around and kids in crisis. Take care of yourself and your baby and try to forget work because work and the students will all be ok. :)

mommylamb
05-26-2011, 08:06 PM
If you won't burn up maternity leave that you might really want after the baby is born (most moms I know would like an extra bit of time with baby before having to go back to work) then I'd stop. I'd only keep going if you are going to "waste" any maternity leave.
:yeahthat: When i had DS I planned to leave when I got to 39 weeks. As luck would have it, 39 weeks came on a Friday, I was home from work for about an hour when my water broke and he was born early the next day.

mommytoC
05-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Absolutely do not feel guilty...enjoy your little gift of "me" time before your DC is born!

I worked up until the day each of my DC were born...DD#1 at 37 2/7 weeks, and DD#2 at 39 3/7...since I still felt great, AND didn't want to miss any of my maternity leave. Everyone (except my wonderful OB :)) expected DD#2 to come early like DD#1. So, for the last 2 weeks, I was scheduled a bit lighter than usual at work.

mom2khj
05-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I worked up until the day I delivered with my first two. Even went straight to the hospital from work with #2. I wanted as much time off as possible after the birth. With my third, I ended up having a scheduled c-section so I chose to make my last day the Friday before (the section was scheduled for Wednesday) so I only had to use 2 vacation days.

I really did this because he was big and I was so uncomfortable I just couldn't make the drive (35 miles one way) and do the job any more. I could barely move!! It ended up only being 1 vacation day because I went into labor on the Tuesday before the scheduled C. :tongue5:

BabbyO
05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
I worked until the day before DS was born, but labor started early in the AM for me, so I knew I'd be having a baby that day. But I'm in a situation where I primarily sit at a desk all day AND I'd be using maternity leave that I'd prefer to use AFTER the baby is born.

My co-worker (pg at the same time) started her leave at 39 weeks I think.

I think you are totally justified in taking leave before the baby comes. If I had that option without losing out on time after the baby was born, I'd probably take leave early, too.

Like PP's said, enjoy the time, get rested up, prepare mentally and physically for the new joy in your life. You deserve it!

Canna
05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I was an 8th grade teacher while pregnant with DD#1 and took my leave starting at 38 weeks. Her due date was in January and I had an hour long commute...I didn't want to go into labor at school or get stuck in a snow situation (in New England). I was, however, worried that I'd be pregnant until 42 weeks and end up "wasting" a month of my leave. It was perfect, however. I went into labor at 39 weeks 4 days so I had a little over a week to relax and get everything ready before the baby arrived. If you're physically not able to do your job, don't feel guilty! You're taking care of yourself and your baby, and you wouldn't be your best at work anyway. Working in schools is VERY physically demanding, I know. Most teachers, psychologists etc are on their feet constantly (especially the good ones :)). Sounds like you made a perfect call. You worked as long as you could and made the decision when it felt right to you and when your body needed it. Have an awesome birth! :)

AnnieW625
05-27-2011, 03:33 PM
With both girls I had planned to be off for just over two weeks prior to my due date. With DD1 I was off two, plus a weekend before I had her, she was 2 weeks early. With DD2 I was off for a week prior to delivery, she was 8 days early.

With DD1 I had a lot of sick leave so I used that to cover the entire pre birth period, plus the 7 weeks after she was born. Then I took 4 weeks of saved vacation, and then took 4 weeks of un paid leave. I went back to work when she was 4 months old.

With DD2 I took a week of sick leave (I had much less by then), then took 6 weeks of SDI, then the 6 weeks of paid family leave, and then two weeks of vacation. I went back to work when DD2 was 3/1/2 months old. I had thought about taking a month off prior to having DD2, but I decided that I needed my full paycheck instead.

vikas_om5
05-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Its fact that",in the pregnancy the women should not work heavy because it can effect the
baby ,but there are many exercises which are good for the growth of the baby

vikas_om5
05-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Its very difficult to work after the delivery because our body get rest immediately and we
should rest after the deliverable

ahrimie
05-29-2011, 01:57 AM
ok... thanks, you guys make me feel better. I'm lucky to have a job where I'm able to take leave. I'm a bit of a work-a-holic, and extremely hard on myself, so I think that's part of my trouble letting go of work (although it's a lesson I'll have to learn once the baby does arrive!) I think the bigger issue is that now that I'm out of work it's really hitting home for me that, yes, this baby is coming soon. I think I was burying all of my anxiety about birth and stuff (this is my first child) into dealing with work. Now it's like, wow.... I'm having a baby.... yikes!

It's ok!! :) Just enjoy the time you have and do things for yourself. I was previously a work-a-holic and calling in sick was like torture for my soul. I finally had to quit because I was just ruining my body and everything else with the stress and the hours. For MONTHS, I just decorated my house, ran errands I never had time to do, cooked... and soon got pregnant :)

Watch tv and lounge!!! :bouncy:

oneontheway
05-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I worked up until the day I had all three of mine but only because I didn't want to start the clock since I only got 12 weeks. If I could of stopped working a few weeks earlier and still had 12 weeks with the baby I would have totally done that. Enjoy and don't feel guilty!!

LadyPeter
05-29-2011, 01:53 PM
My boss allowed me to work at home the last "month" of my pregnancy. Month is in quotes because I worked at home exactly one week and then my water broke! I was very grateful for that week, though, because I felt terrible and pretty much stayed in bed with my laptop.