PDA

View Full Version : Dairy challenge for milk protein intolerant toddler--when/how?

goldenpig
05-26-2011, 04:50 PM
My DS is 14 months and has a milk protein intolerance. He tested negative on the skin testing/RAST for dairy and other allergies, yet he had really bad reflux and refusal to breastfeed and a bad diaper rash and face rash that all improved with my stopping all dairy. He was on medications (first Zantac, then Prilosec, then Prevacid) but it wasn't till I did strict dairy-free for both him and me that he got better. And every time I would accidentally have something with dairy (even a small amount) he would get a rash on his face and get a reflux flare--he would wake up screaming and arching at night. (He never had vomiting or blood in his stool or diarrhea though). This happened over and over pretty reliably so I'm fairly sure he has a dairy allergy even with the negative tests. Well, I was eventually able to wean him off the Prevacid at 1 year. Around that time I accidentally had some dairy (it was a punch at a birthday party that they said didn't have any ice cream but I think it did have sherbet) and he broke out in a mild face rash. Since then he's been fine and last week I tried eating a tiny bit of dairy (slice of bread containing milk, a few bites of pizza and cupcake, and granola bar containing dairy) to see if there was any reaction and I don't think there was. So how do I do a dairy challenge? I would love to be able to get him started on dairy because he just doesn't drink that much coconut or soy milk, and it's really hard for me to be dairy-free all the time. I'm kind of nervous about it though because I don't want to make him suffer if he's still allergic. I was thinking maybe to start with some yogurt or cheese (right now he's on coconut milk yogurt and vegan rice cheese). When did you reintroduce dairy for your little ones with dairy allergy/MSPI, and how did you do it? What order of foods/milk and how long did you wait for a reaction before moving on to the next food? Did you just feed directly to your child, or start with eating dairy yourself if breastfeeding? How long before your kids outgrew their dairy allergy? Thanks!

goldenpig
05-27-2011, 02:03 AM
I just realized that he may not be ready for dairy yet...after I ate dairy on Saturday, he was really fussy that night. I mean, he normally wakes up several times a night and I have to go hold him, but that night he was more upset than usual (usually he calms down when I hold him, but that night he was squirming, restless, and inconsolable even in my arms). And now for the past couple of days, he has had a super runny nose. I thought maybe he had a cold, but I haven't caught it (whenever my kids get colds I'm always in such close contact I always get them!) so I'm now thinking it might be an MSPI symptom. It's hard to know if it's just coincidental or if it really means something. He didn't get a rash this time though. I feel like I'm going crazy-- sometimes I get the feeling that DH and my pedi are just humoring me because I think DS is allergic to dairy, but they don't really believe me.