PDA

View Full Version : a petty book club complaint

bekahjean
05-26-2011, 09:06 PM
So, our AF spouses group has a book club that meets once a month. Every month I'm on the fence whether or not I want to keep going.

Here is my problem with our book club - at least half of the books we have read have to do with cheating/adultery/family abandonment. Why do they pick books like this?! Our husbands all work together in a dangerous, high stress, very demanding job that is at least 60 hours a week. Why do they want to put thoughts like this in their heads? Why do they want to read about cheating and broken families?!

We're reading Something Borrowed this month, and while it's supposed to be light and fluffy, it's still about cheating! All the girls I have talked to about it say that it's OK since they weren't married and they end up together in the end. Really? Would it be OK if it was your (almost) husband?

OK, vent over. :) With all that said, I'll probably keep going, just to get out of the house.

infomama
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I'd take a yoga class instead going to that. Sounds awful.

bekahjean
05-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to stop going every month. My good friend that goes with me is about to move out of state, so the social aspect of it won't have the same draw once she's gone. Maybe I'll tell DH that book club is going to turn into solo movie night. :)

niccig
05-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Maybe I'll tell DH that book club is going to turn into solo movie night. :)

That sounds like a good idea.

I've been in 2 bookclubs and they were both duds. The books chosen weren't always great reads, but then no one would talk about them. It was 10 mins talking about the book and 2 hours of gossip. Add in one person wanting to always change the date/time/location and it fizzled out.

bekahjean
05-26-2011, 09:31 PM
It was 10 mins talking about the book and 2 hours of gossip.

I would almost prefer this! We get our gossip in, of course, but then we talk about the book for so long that I get bored. And since I usually didn't like the book, I don't contribute much. I don't want to be "that girl" who complains about the book every month. My friend said that I should pick a book that I like so that I won't hate that month's selection, but I just don't care enough to host it. It's totally my "turn" (I've never hosted and others have hosted multiple times), but it's not going to happen.

truly scrumptious
05-26-2011, 09:41 PM
This is why I've never joined a book club. It seems to turn reading, which is my "me" time, into a chore. And all the clubs I know of seem to pick depressing books.

hellokitty
05-26-2011, 11:22 PM
I've taken breaks from our book club before when we had a string of really lame books. My problem now is that the there is a particular clique that dominates our book club for our moms club, and I don't like that and yeah they can be very gossipy.

golightly1118
05-27-2011, 11:40 AM
I think solo movie night sounds like a great idea! I've never been into book clubs because time spent reading is my time, plus I'm usually rotating through two or three books at once.

bekahjean
05-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah, most of the girls in book club aren't my first choice of friends. I really think that after this book, I'll just go if I like the book that month. I'm done filling my head with something that I really don't want to think about. I think that I'm fairly susceptible to what I read in books. When we read Heart of the Matter (another Emily Griffins book about cheating), I would find myself wondering where DH was right then. Never mind that he works 12 hours a day, is working on his masters, as well as an Air Force course. He doesn't have the time or energy to cheat on me! I never worried when he was traveling around the world for months at a time, but after I read that stupid book, I would wonder why he wasn't home yet. I'm done with it. It's turning me into a crazy person! :)