PDA

View Full Version : California Baby sunscreen stick

TwoBees
05-27-2011, 08:42 AM
What's the % of titanium dioxide and zince oxide in the California Baby sunscreen stick? And is it truely tear-free?

Uno-Mom
05-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Sorry, I don't know about the chemical make-up but we did use those all last summer (Target had a sale). If you're thinking about picking some up - we found them hard to apply. And this year the daycare hinted to please give them a different kind! It was just hard to spread evenly.

But we used it all summer on a baby, with no upset. Maybe it just never got in her eyes because it was so thick it didn't spread. Not sure. She's very fair skinned so we applied liberally.

jbbhb
05-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I have one, I totally agree, it is so hard to put on! Especially with a wiggly 10 month old. I felt like I never got it on evenly. Not worth the money in my opinion. Also not sure on the chemical aspects...

Snow mom
05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Sorry, I don't know about the chemical make-up but we did use those all last summer (Target had a sale). If you're thinking about picking some up - we found them hard to apply. And this year the daycare hinted to please give them a different kind! It was just hard to spread evenly.

But we used it all summer on a baby, with no upset. Maybe it just never got in her eyes because it was so thick it didn't spread. Not sure. She's very fair skinned so we applied liberally.

I don't have the stick in front of me either, unfortunately. The stick spreads like any physical block IMO. I prefer it to the cream for her face because it's easier to make lines across her nose/cheeks, forehead, chin, etc. and then spread it out. Like any physical block it leaves her a bit ghostly looking, but I prefer this to chemical blocks. I agree that it is probably tear free in not running into the eyes. I can't imagine it's truly tear free if it were to get into the eyes but that would go for any sunblock.

jbbhb
05-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I found my stick but I can't find the info you're looking for on the stick or the website.

I will agree that it is very effective sunscreen, it is very thick and doesn't run, it's just really hard to apply.

Uno-Mom
05-27-2011, 12:30 PM
I think our perfect situation would be using the stick for Sprog's face (for the reasons described) and a cream everywhere else (because it's just impossible to apply thoroughly to arms and legs.

We try to cover up with fabric most of the time but pants hike up...so do sleeves... so I always want to cover arms and legs anyway.

BabyMine
05-27-2011, 01:19 PM
We use ours and don't have a problem. Our children have never cried with it on even when the sweat so I'm taking that it truly is tear free. We all use the stick for our faces and have since the children were little. We also use the liquid after the stick. We apply the stick and then rub in while we tickle them under the chin. Then I put the liquid on both hands and put it on when they are looking ahead. Sometimes we have races to see who can rub it in faster.

I just used the stick a couple hours ago but I can't find it.