PDA

View Full Version : How many days/year have you taken your child out of school for vacation?

ett
05-27-2011, 01:13 PM
This is only because I'm curious so please don't post anything to stir the pot.

Thank you!

Jeanne
05-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Took my oldest out in 1st grade for 5 days.

Will take my oldest out in 4th grade in Oct for 5 days and my youngest will be in 2nd grade and taken out for those same 5 days.

crl
05-27-2011, 01:21 PM
DS missed 0 days for vacation in preschool and K and 2 days in 1st. I voted 1-2 because that was this school year.

Catherine

mom2ethan
05-27-2011, 01:22 PM
I've taken my kids (2nd and K) out twice this year when we went on vacation. They missed 1 day in the fall for a trip and 3 days this spring for a trip.

egoldber
05-27-2011, 01:25 PM
It has varied year to year.

In K we took her out for 10 days.

I think first grade maybe 1 or 2 days?

In second grade for 4 days.

In third grade for 3 days.

In 4th grade only one day so far.

We are planning to take her out for 4 days this fall in 5th grade and I am dreading it. Starting in 4th grade they do a LOT more work in the classroom (writing in class, science projects, group activities, etc.). We were planning around another relative's schedule and now that person is not going at all on the trip and I am :irked: because I would have chosen a week when we did not have to take her out.

After this year we are not planning to take her out any more because it is too hard on her.

sarahsthreads
05-27-2011, 01:26 PM
I didn't vote. This year = 0, last year (K) = 4.

Sarah :)

hillview
05-27-2011, 01:51 PM
This year
5 days Disney
5 days UK (DH's family)

Last year
5 days Disney
10 days UK and France

Next year
5 days Disney
TBD UK
/hillary

momof2girls
05-27-2011, 02:28 PM
one day a yr is the most I am willing to do. So, both DDs have missed one day each yr for vacations.

StantonHyde
05-27-2011, 02:56 PM
My kids are in 2 different schools with different calendars. Next year, it lines up really well. This year--I took DD out for a week so we could go away on DS's spring break. His break was at the end of March--and we need to get away from winter around here and that's about how long I can take it!! (and I love to ski, etc. I just need my desert fix by March) Plus DD is in K this year and DS has dyslexia so making up his homework is harder.

ellies mom
05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
We haven't yet because there hasn't been a need but I won't rule it out in the future.

This winter my parents came up for my graduation and we were going to pull my oldest out early one afternoon so we could do something fun but she had such a long list of things she just couldn't miss that finally we ended up leaving her in all day.

MelissaTC
05-27-2011, 04:30 PM
It has varied from year to year. We have done a day here or there. We already have a day planned for September. He is off a Friday but we are pulling him out Thursday so we can travel a day earlier. We are going away with our in- laws who are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary. Considering we live 550 miles away from each other, I think M spending the time with his grandparents is important. I also pulled him out on a half day as it was take your kid to work day at DH's job. He loved it and had a great time learning about engineering and electronics. His teacher was fully supportive of that.

AnnieW625
05-27-2011, 06:13 PM
In anticipation of next school year (kindergarten for DD1) I voted 1-2 days. We are going to a wedding in October and we will most likely take her out of school that Friday before because it's 4 hr. drive and I don't want to get stuck in LA traffic which on Fridays can be almost constant.