PDA

View Full Version : S/O. Do you think it matters when kids miss school?

crl
05-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Obvious spin off, do you think it matters when kids miss school? Fir example, I wouldn't have my kid miss the first week. But the last week? Eh, they aren't doing all that much anyway really. And we pulled ds out for the two days before Thanksgiving break. Several kids were out traveling to family and again, not a lot was really happening in the classroom anyway.

Catherine

LadyPeter
05-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Not unless they miss something important and/or get in trouble for it.

s7714
05-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Once in a while for a special trip or special occasion, I think it's fine, but would I pull out a DC just for random fun things? No. But, I also have a DD that misses a far amount of school due to illness. So much so that one year we had to get a doctor's sign off for every single absence after a certain number. If she was like my other DD, who rarely ever gets sick, perhaps I wouldn't feel so strict about them not missing school.

I guess I kind of view it that if a child can miss school but still easily keep up in studies it's no big deal, but if it causes problems with the child's learning or progress, then the parent shouldn't be pulling the DC out as much.

vludmilla
05-27-2011, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't be inclined to have my child miss school for anything other than illness with the exception of the last week of school. I know that very little happens that last week of school in most places.

edurnemk
05-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't do it on important dates: first week of school, exams, etc. But other than that I have no issues. So far we've done it a few days before winter break, when not much is happening anyway (and my parents did the same when I was a kid/teenager).

At least with a vacation you can plan around it, let the school know, have him hand in work ahead of time (for older kids), etc. With DS's recurrent EI's during the winter we had no notice and since I WOTH PT, that was really chaotic for me since I count on him going to preschool for childcare.

WatchingThemGrow
05-27-2011, 05:43 PM
As a teacher, yes, I think it matters. A lot of loose ends are tied up and fun stuff happens during the last week or so.

egoldber
05-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I think that missing school occasionally is not detrimental to long term learning for most children. I do think it can be very disruptive (for various reasons) for either the child or the classroom, but I think that is quite different from disrupting learning.

Frankly, I wish we could not go the entire 4th quarter. For us it seems like it has been all about standardized test prep (we have 3 solid weeks of it). And after the tests, the last 2-3 weeks seems to be a waste with field day, class parties, packing up the classroom, award ceremonies, assemblies, etc. All fun stuff for the kids and good for social connectedness, but important for long term learning, not so much. And many kids have difficulty with the chaos that is the last few weeks of school.

AnnieW625
05-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Potentially the last week of school, a day or two prior to before or after Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years would be fine in my opinion. Maybe even the day before Veterans Day (if it was on a Friday) and maybe the following Monday would be acceptable. However in regards to the last week of school there is lots of cool stuff going on and I wouldn't want my kids to miss that.

I don't think it's determental and it's going to ruin their lives, but I just don't think I'd make a habit of it.

ashleybama24
05-27-2011, 06:19 PM
My child isn't in school yet but with so many teachers in the family (8) I hear about how annoying it is when kids miss important days all the time. When my kids are old enough to be in school they won't miss a day unless they are sick. I can also understand missing a day or two before a holiday for a vacation but usually that time is filled with fun activities like class parties and I wouldn't want them to miss out on the rewards after working so hard all year.

SnuggleBuggles
05-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Not during standardized tests, not the first week of school. Those are the 2 that I would avoid. I always send ds1 the last week of school because it tends to be pretty fun!

Beth

hillview
05-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Not during anything important -- first couple of months of school, last week of school. Once they get older, big exams etc. That said I am a big fan of travel and getting out to see the world (which I think is also important) and for now we also enjoy Disney and family time there. When my kids are older and school work exists and is more important I expect we'd pull them only to travel or for important family things (eg not Disney) -- not sure when this happens -- guessing maybe 5th grade? Also if my kids were struggling in school I would have a different answer.
/hillary

gatorsmom
05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Normally I would say no, but I think it's important that children grow up understanding that you can't just take time off whenever you feel like it. I think that it's important for many reasons. They should understand that doing their best and trying their hardest means going to school instead of doing other, more interesting things. I think they need to learn from their parents how important their education is. And i really think that a serious attitude can lead to a strong work ethic later.

Besides that, the boys' new school has finals week the last week of school, even in first grade.

randomkid
05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Normally I would say no, but I think it's important that children grow up understanding that you can't just take time off whenever you feel like it. I think that it's important for many reasons. They should understand that doing their best and trying their hardest means going to school instead of doing other, more interesting things. I think they need to learn from their parents how important their education is. And i really think that a serious attitude can lead to a strong work ethic later.

Besides that, the boys' new school has finals week the last week of school, even in first grade.
:yeahthat: ITA with this. I would let DD stay home on occasion when she was in pre-K because it was voluntary. The more she got to stay home, the less she wanted to go to school. Now that she is in K (well, almost done with it!) she has to be there. I only took her out one day to go to Disney because we had a pass we needed to use and I refuse to go on the weekends. Other than that, she only missed school if she was sick. I have found with her that when she is out of school, she is worse about not wanting to go, whether the days were missed because she was sick or there were holidays. When she goes regularly, she gets in the groove so to speak and it's easier to get her to go.

I wouldn't have her miss the last weeks of school because there are so many fun things going on. They had a party all day today to celebrate her school's 15th birthday. The last week of school they have a big Kindergarten party and a K Moving On Ceremony - we definitely won't miss that unless she gets sick!

I may also be a little more strict about it because I was sick a lot as a kid and also in college. I missed a lot of school during my life and it did make things more difficult for me.

icunurse
05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Overall, no. And I was a kid that rarely missed school and we didn't really go on outings or vacations as a family. While missing a week or so of school due to illness, Disney, an exotic once-in-a-lifetime trip or a family reunion may cause some temporary havoc, I truly believe that for *most* kids, it will not have long-lasting effects or a domino effect of failure.

We all do things that we think is in the best interest of our families at the time, whether that is having a grandparent move in with us, scheduling multiple afterschool activities, having our child spend a summer with a relative, or taking a fun trip during the school year. We can debate the pro's and con's of all of them. In the end, life goes on, kids recover, it all balances out. For me, I want my kids to have the occasional childhood memory of running off and having a fun break, whether for a long weekend at an indoor water park or a week at Disney. It is not a sign that school isn't important (or to be disrespected, as *I* am the one making the call to not attend school, NOT them), it is that sometimes life and family need to be in balance with work and school. I truly believe that in 20 years, my children will not be any less intelligent or behind their peers because of 5 missed days at school, but I do think that they will still be talking about the rare vacation. I want the memories.

ahisma
05-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes, I think it does matter.

We try to avoid missing whenever possible. DD probably misses for appointments a handful of times per year, usually only part of the day for appointments. We rarely, if ever, pull her for vacations.

At least for DD, she really is impacted by missing things. And, for things like the end of the year events, she doesn't want to miss.

That said, my DH is a teacher so it's not like we'd leave during the school year anyway.

sarahsthreads
05-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Overall, no. And I was a kid that rarely missed school and we didn't really go on outings or vacations as a family. While missing a week or so of school due to illness, Disney, an exotic once-in-a-lifetime trip or a family reunion may cause some temporary havoc, I truly believe that for *most* kids, it will not have long-lasting effects or a domino effect of failure.

We all do things that we think is in the best interest of our families at the time, whether that is having a grandparent move in with us, scheduling multiple afterschool activities, having our child spend a summer with a relative, or taking a fun trip during the school year. We can debate the pro's and con's of all of them. In the end, life goes on, kids recover, it all balances out. For me, I want my kids to have the occasional childhood memory of running off and having a fun break, whether for a long weekend at an indoor water park or a week at Disney. It is not a sign that school isn't important (or to be disrespected, as *I* am the one making the call to not attend school, NOT them), it is that sometimes life and family need to be in balance with work and school. I truly believe that in 20 years, my children will not be any less intelligent or behind their peers because of 5 missed days at school, but I do think that they will still be talking about the rare vacation. I want the memories.

:yeahthat: I couldn't agree more with this entire post.

As far as timing, I'd avoid the first weeks of school and any important tests (not that we're there yet). Also, because I know how fun the parties are to my kid, I would avoid the day or two before any holiday breaks and the last week of school.

Sarah :)