PDA

View Full Version : "disciplining" other people's kids in public?

smiles33
05-28-2011, 01:41 AM
I thought of the BBB moms today while my family and I were at our local amusement park (geared more toward toddlers and elementary school students). I wonder how you would have handled the situation. I also don't know that the thread title is accurate, as it isn't really discipline (since there were no consequences) but more about not allowing a kid to get away with bad behavior.

Basically, I had 3 groups of boys (none older than 12!) try to cut in front of me and my 5 year old in line! It was a busy day with several schools on organized trips (students in uniforms or matching t shirts). Most were woefully under-chaperoned so I saw roaming groups of boys.

The first 2 boys were probably 8 or 9 and they pushed through everyone all the way to the front of the line. I assumed they might have been in the restroom and were just rejoining their group, but when the mom at the front of the line looked at them and then looked at her friend funny, I leaned over and asked nicely if the boys were with her. When she shook her head no, I immediately said, "boys, you need to go to the back of the line now. It is not nice to cut and you better not do it again." Ironically, there were at least 30 other adults in the line between them and me (I was in the part of the queue that wrapped around so I could see the front of the line). A mom later thanked me for saying something but I can't believe no one else was going to say anything. Parents just kept looking at one another.

Then we got back in line to ride the same ride again and 2 older boys came to join the group standing directly in front of us after we had spent 20 minutes in the line. The chaperone of the group (all the kids were in uniform) asked where these 2 boys' chaperone was and told them to go back to her. The boys said they didn't want to and started smiling and laughing. She turned her back to them as if to give up so I loudly said, "You are not staying here." They sheepishly turned and went back to the end of the line.

I just don't get it. Why didn't anyone else say anything? Am I the only one with low tolerance for poor manners in children? Is it that people are afraid some parent will be upset that you "disciplined" their child? Or that because they got some slack since they weren't obnoxious teens but overeager elementary school boys? Maybe it is different when the parents aren't around? The kids just weren't listening to the field trip chaperones. I was very glad I spoke out but truly surprised that no one else did before me.

For the record, I am not a person any of my friends or family would describe as aggressive or confrontational.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-28-2011, 02:15 AM
Ugh I feel your pain...this really bothers me too. I think part of it is that whole generic notion of people not wanting to get involved. My dh is a perfect example of this. He is usually afraid of upsetting other people and always wants to avoid creating a scene. I think a kid would have to be seriously harming my ds before my dh would actually say anything to the kid. His excuse is that people who do these things (or allow their kid to do these things) can't really be reasoned with so the best thing to do is avoid or ignore them. Once when we were at a mall play area there was this 4 year old kicking my son (about 1 year old at the time). My dh was upset but I think all he did was pick up my ds and move him away. I didn't see it but I think if I had been there I would have wanted to say something...it's not fair that I should have to move my ds bc of anoter kids' actions and/or another parent's neglect.

Melaine
05-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Ugh how annoying. I would have done the same thing for the first situation, for the second I would have let the other adult handle it. Because I have joined friends in a line before, so not sure I qualify that as cutting. But it sure is rude.

fortato
05-28-2011, 10:27 AM
A year ago, we went to a local park where 2 boys were constantly fighting, and when it escalated to the point of them pushing on the slide, I got up... newborn in my arms... and said "Enough. This is unacceptable. If you want to fight you need to get off the the playground and do it there." Then I asked, loudly, "Who do these children belong to?" That's when the teenage girl, texting on her phone looked up and said "Oh, hey guys... come on over here".
I told her that if they want to fight, that's fine... but when it puts my or anyone elses children in danger, then it's not ok. "You need to be attentive to these kids".

I'm done being nice and letting things go. No one has the right to ruin my kids' fun at a playground..... and if my kids acted the way those kids did, we would leave immediately.

You did the right thing. Good for you!

LadyPeter
05-28-2011, 10:32 AM
That's the best kind of discipline, really. Setting limits for acceptable behavior. It's good to model that for children, so they know how to do it for themselves when someone's not respecting their boundaries.

JTsMom
05-28-2011, 10:36 AM
That's the best kind of discipline, really. Setting limits for acceptable behavior. It's good to model that for children, so they know how to do it for themselves when someone's not respecting their boundaries.
:yeahthat: I couldn't agree more.

hillview
05-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Nice job mama! I think you totally did the right thing!
/hillary

hellokitty
05-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I think ppl these days feel like they should just mind their own business. HOWEVER, I would have done the same thing as you. And I have done it before, telling kids who are being rude or misbehaving that what they are doing is not right. The other ppl around me always look relieved and I don't get why they are so reluctant to say something themselves, since they are the adults, and the kids are just kids!

MelissaTC
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I am the mean lady who yells at kids who are misbehaving. I am tired of people never saying anything. Drives me nuts! And I have no problem with people reprimanding mine. I think you did the right thing.

LMPC
05-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I am the mean lady who yells at kids who are misbehaving. I am tired of people never saying anything. Drives me nuts! And I have no problem with people reprimanding mine. I think you did the right thing.

LMAO because this is me too! I once told two kids who were running around a dr's office waiting room that "This is NOT a playground! Sit down!" FWIW, I would totally want someone to tell my kid when she was so blatantly misbehaving!

Go mama!

maestramommy
05-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Ugh I feel your pain...this really bothers me too. I think part of it is that whole generic notion of people not wanting to get involved.

I think this IS the crux of the matter. People don't want to get involved. Not unless they know the children well, and sometimes not even then.