PDA

View Full Version : Kids, chiropractors and neck pain

infomama
05-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Dd1 has been complaining of neck pain but only at bedtime. She will try every pillow in the house and none of them suffice. She will then move her neck around in an effort to 'make it feel better'. I don't think she injured it and I don't think it's a tactic. She seems truly uncomfortable and nothing I do helps.

Anyone take their kids to chiros for adjustments? Is it true that once you start going you have to keep going and going and going. I have never been to one.

I was thinking of a memory foam topper for her bed, too.

AnnieW625
05-28-2011, 09:25 PM
I have never been to a chiropractor so I have no BTDT experience (I do deal with them for work because I handle workers' comp., but I'll leave my WC opinions about chiros. out) but DH did go one time when he threw his back out for about a month (3 x for the first week or two, then twice a week, and then once the last week I think) and he has never had to go back; that was about 10 yrs. ago. I would be very leary of a chiro. though who can't help and cure the symptoms in a month. That's just my honest opinion though because I know there are others here who probably go a lot and it's great for them, but it can get expensive esp. if it isn't covered in your insurance; which in most cases it isn't.

Clarity
05-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Dd1 has been complaining of neck pain but only at bedtime. She will try every pillow in the house and none of them suffice. She will then move her neck around in an effort to 'make it feel better'. I don't think she injured it and I don't think it's a tactic. She seems truly uncomfortable and nothing I do helps.

Anyone take their kids to chiros for adjustments? Is it true that once you start going you have to keep going and going and going. I have never been to one.

I was thinking of a memory foam topper for her bed, too.

I think if you research and find a reputable chiropractor that is experienced in dealing with children that you may find it helpful. I do see a chiro and I love him. I developed a habit of cracking my neck (PSA: DON'T CRACK YOUR NECK!!!) and I saw him regulary for a few weeks, then once a month, then as needed. I still do see him when I mess up my neck again but I think it's about 2-3 times a year.
I did take my dd2 to him when she was a baby. He saved my df's son from tubes in his ears and I took dd2 when she had two repetetive ear infections. He did not "crack" anything on my dd. It was more of a massage. I felt comfortable with that. I would not have been comfortable with him cracking anything. She's not been back beyond the couple times she went as a baby. She hasn't needed to return.

geochick
05-28-2011, 11:34 PM
I would NOT send my child to a chiropractor.

AngelaS
05-29-2011, 06:43 AM
I would totally take my kids. Dh and I go regularly and I'm considering taking the girls on a semi regular basis as well. We only go to Palmer chiros. I called around when we moved here until I found one and we love ours. I wish I knew what i know now when i had a colicky baby too--I would have totally taken her in as a month old baby.

Dr C
05-29-2011, 07:25 AM
I personally would not take my child to a chiropractor; I know others feel differently.

I would consider having a physical therapist take a look at your child's neck. They may be able to teach you some stretching/strengthening exercises that could provide relief. A PT would likely do many of the same things a good chiropractor would do.

If you're not able to find relief with physical therapy (or just time, a new pillow, etc) I'd consider bringing the child in to your ped... neck pain in kids is really not that common of a complaint and it would be worth trying to figure out why your DD is having it.

FWIW, we had a memory foam topper for our bed and while it was really comfy, I think I got back/neck pain from it! My pain went away when we took the topper off! That's just my experience, though and I'm sure others have found the opposite.

clc053103
05-30-2011, 06:48 PM
I would never. Ever.

And like Annie, that's not even considering my background in insurance.

brittone2
05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
I would not. I worked in EI as a PT prior to becoming a SAHM.

sadie427
05-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Chiropractic is a controversial topic and I don't want to start a debate, but since you asked, I would never visit a chiropractor or take my child to one. There is not much data that it is helpful, and some evidence that it may be harmful (association with vertebral artery dissection). Doing a quick search, apparently the Canadian neurologists came out very strongly against spinal manipulation for infants and children.

http://www.chirobase.org/15News/neurol.html

If my child had neck pain that did not improve after a few days of heat and/or ice and small doses of acetaminophen and/or ibuprofen, I would take him to a physician, and ask for a physical therapy referral.

kerridean
05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
I would not bring my child (or myself for that matter) to a chiropractor. I use PTs.

KLD313
05-30-2011, 07:51 PM
I went to one and brought my DD but she never did any manipulation or put her hands on either of us. She specialized in a Korean technique and she used this little machine on us. I would never go to a chiropractor that does manipulation because the thought of it freaks me out.