PDA

View Full Version : **Made Them!** Question about kale chips

randomkid
05-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I made some this afternoon. Used olive oil, apple cider vinegar and kosher salt. I sprinkle parmesan on some and once they were almost done, I tasted both. Liked the parm better, so sprinkled over all to finish cooking. DH and I like them. DD liked her first taste, but none after that. This is one of those things she probably would have eaten when she was 2yo and would still eat now if I had introduced them then. She likes Veggie Booty, so I'm surprised she didn't like them. Oh well, at least she tried it.

I think they taste like collards which DH and I both like. IDK, it seems greens are southern, but I never grew up eating kale and I grew up eating pretty traditional southern food, including collard and turnip greens. I was hoping DD would like the kale chips, but since she didn't I probably won't make them often. Of course, DH said they would be good with bacon crumbled on top :rotflmao: Probably because we've always made collards with ham in it!

Thanks all - my first batch came out perfectly. And thanks for the tip about apple cider vinegar. I do think that made them better.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking about making these, but wonder what they taste like. We don't really ever eat kale, so I don't know the taste. When it is baked like these chips, what does it taste like? I did a search and found one thread where someone compared it to seaweed. Does it taste like seaweed when baked, because nobody in this house likes that taste.

Thanks!

brittone2
05-29-2011, 12:09 PM
IMO Not like seaweed. It does not taste like a potato chip either obviously (I only mention that because some people expect them to taste like a "chip" and are disappointed for obvious reasons!). We love them (my kids scarf them down). They get crispy and have a bit of that carmelized/burnt (not really burnt, but that's as close as I can get...) flavor. Kale is naturally a bit bitter and the chips are a little bitter too, which works or doesn't work for certain tastebuds. We like them but not everyone would be receptive.

If you like brussels sprouts you can take the individual leaves off and do the same thing that you would w/ kale chips. It also works with spinach leaves. (i've done the brussles sprouts but not the spinach leaves). If you like brussles sprouts or spinach leaves maybe that's an option too.

curiousgeorge
05-29-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't think they taste like seaweed either, but it is not a taste everyone likes, IME. My husband and I like them but my mom definitely did not.

I have a friend who tosses hers with parmesan cheese and says it is great. We haven't done that yet, we've just used salt/pepper/olive oil.

twowhat?
05-29-2011, 12:58 PM
They taste like kale, but sweeter and less bitter to me. You know how the sugars in veggies caramelize when they're roasted? I think the same sort of thing happens to kale. I make mine with apple cider vinegar whisked into the olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt straight out of the oven. It does not come out bitter at all. If you get it just right, the chips come out VERY crunchy (as in, they will fall apart when bitten into and melt right in your mouth). They are definitely a messy snack. And my toddlers totally will eat it!

ABO Mama
05-29-2011, 01:15 PM
We like them at our house too!

mommylamb
05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
We make kale chips pretty frequently too. I put olive oil, garlic powder and kosher salt on them, so they taste like garlic. Yum.

Jo..
05-29-2011, 01:49 PM
I can't describe them other than to say they taste like crispy salty Kale. :)

Thank you for bringing up this topic though. I just pulled in a HUGE garden harvest (tons of onions, peas, and beets, some strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and cucs) and was wondering what to do with the beet greens. I don't waste good greens, but I JUST made sauteed beet greens two days ago and didn't feel like having them again so soon.

I googled, and sure enough I can make beet green chips! YAY.:applause:

citymama
05-29-2011, 01:51 PM
If you don't know what kale tastes like, you gotta try it once! Nothing like seaweed. The closest thing would be some other kind of veggie chip, not potato.

JustMe
05-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Has anyone tried this with purple kale? Just bought a whole bunch yesterday, and am wondering if it would turn out okay? Also, any tips on how to tell when they are done? I searched on-line recipes and some people talk about baking them too long, etc. Thanks!

Jo..
05-29-2011, 02:15 PM
justme I read that when the edges start to turn brown it's time to get them out of the oven

That is the tip I usually follow...some pieces brown more quickly than others so toward the end I watch closely

chozen
05-29-2011, 02:34 PM
this sounds so good, how do you make them?

Jo..
05-29-2011, 02:57 PM
I like this one...the vinegar adds a tiny bit of tang/acid which is missing from most recipes

http://www.food.com/recipe/kale-chips-110071

mommylamb
05-29-2011, 03:02 PM
I can't describe them other than to say they taste like crispy salty Kale. :)

Thank you for bringing up this topic though. I just pulled in a HUGE garden harvest (tons of onions, peas, and beets, some strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and cucs) and was wondering what to do with the beet greens. I don't waste good greens, but I JUST made sauteed beet greens two days ago and didn't feel like having them again so soon.

I googled, and sure enough I can make beet green chips! YAY.:applause:

If you're looking to do something with beet greens, I have a recipe for spring onion and beet green frittata, which is excellent. http://amondesignstudio.blogspot.com/2010/04/farmers-market-frittata.html

Jo..
05-29-2011, 03:58 PM
If you're looking to do something with beet greens, I have a recipe for spring onion and beet green frittata, which is excellent. http://amondesignstudio.blogspot.com/2010/04/farmers-market-frittata.html

Well, that is just about perfect. I harvest a ton of spring onions and I am a Feta adict (I buy in bulk at Sams). This is bookmarked and will be made during my next beet harvest! Thank you.

LMPC
05-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Just wanted to say that I make them with a little olive oil and kosher salt, and I think they taste a little like popcorn. I have had sauteed kale, and to me that tastes a lot like sauteed collards or greens in general. But baking them tastes totally different!

Melaine
05-29-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm going to have to try these again. I didn't like them at all when I made them last week. We have more kale from the CSA so I will try it as you guys suggested. Maybe the vinegar will help, I didn't know to do that.