PDA

View Full Version : Do kids over 12 months still drink formula?

citymama
05-29-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm just curious. Do FF kids gradually switch to cow's milk at 1, in other words are they "weaned" off formula? Or is formula "better" than cows milk just as breastmilk is preferable to cows milk? We've never used formula, but I'm wondering whether our back-up supplies during my upcoming work trip (and in the future) should be formula or cows milk, in addition to the pumped milk I'll leave behind.

DietCokeLover
05-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Mine stayed on formula/ toddler formula til they were about 1.5 or so.

crl
05-29-2011, 02:29 PM
DS was adopted from China at 13.5 months. He was still on formula. We left him on it for catch up nutrition and for comfort until he was about 18 months.

DD has been with us from the beginning and is big for her age. The week she turned one I started mixing her formula with whole milk, gradually reducing the amount of formula until it was all milk. A neighbor told me this was what our ped (we have the same ped) suggested so I just went ahead and did it. Worked fine and no issues for dd.

Catherine

okinawama
05-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Mine wasn't, I started to transition him gradually to cows milk just at or a little before a year and he was on 100% cows milk around 13 months. He was off the charts for weight and height, so I didn't feel he needed the formula any longer.

mommylamb
05-29-2011, 03:04 PM
When DS hit 12 months, he was mostly on formula, though I was still breastfeeding him once before bed, but at that point we switched all his formula to cow's milk and he was fine with it.

AshleyAnn
05-29-2011, 03:09 PM
My pedi said to wean DD completely to cows milk at one year. Some babies stay on it a bit longer and wean more gradually but DD is a big girl so the doc said to go ahead and wean her. I know lots of people who start weaning before a year and are done at a year because formula is $$$ compared to formula. Formula is much more nutrient rich than cows milk so yes it is better but most toddlers do not need the extra nutrition as they are getting regular foods.

I would try cows milk and see if it bothers her tummy. Some kids aren't ready for lactose yet. If shes good with milk let her have regular milk, if not go with formula.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-29-2011, 03:45 PM
my ds drank toddler formula (Enfagrow) from about 10mos to 13mos. he was still breastfed up to 12mo. we switched to whole milk at 13mos just because it was so much cheaper and just easier. i guess toddler formula has DHA and other vitamins/nutrients, but there didn't seem to be much research saying how it was so much better than cows' milk, at least for kids over age 1.

as for introducing cow's milk (or toddler formula), we just one day gave him a bottle of it, he drank it, and that was that. never had any problems whatsoever.

Dr C
05-29-2011, 04:24 PM
The usual advice is to wean to cow milk at 12 months. The logic is that most kids at that age are getting plenty of nutrients from table food, and their milk intake has dropped off somewhat. Toddler formula is what you'd want to give if you were going to continue to formula feed after a year; infant formula is only designed for babies up to 12 months. Most peds view toddler formula as a waste of $$.

There are some kids with unusual nutritional needs (failure to thrive, allergies, etc) for whom regular milk is not the best choice. But most kids (including many of those who had some fussiness with milk-based formula as young infants and were transitioned to soy, etc for that reason) are fine with milk.

Citymama, I'd just try some cow milk for DD (maybe before your trip) and see if she tolerates it. If she does, you can feel fine using that as a backup. You might need to warm it up a bit if she is used to warm expressed breastmilk.

citymama
05-30-2011, 02:56 AM
There are some kids with unusual nutritional needs (failure to thrive, allergies, etc) for whom regular milk is not the best choice. But most kids (including many of those who had some fussiness with milk-based formula as young infants and were transitioned to soy, etc for that reason) are fine with milk.

Citymama, I'd just try some cow milk for DD (maybe before your trip) and see if she tolerates it. If she does, you can feel fine using that as a backup. You might need to warm it up a bit if she is used to warm expressed breastmilk.

Thanks all - I didn't realize that most babies are done with formula by 1. I guess there's no reason to introduce it at 13 months then! In the last few weeks, DH has given DD2 a little cow's milk and she's taken it without a problem. It's been in small amounts and we haven't noticed any digestive issues. She is fine with cheese and yogurt so I don't suspect lactose intolerance. She is on the small side (20-25th percentile for weight) but thriving and growing at a consistent rate.