PDA

View Full Version : S/o coconut oil

DietCokeLover
05-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Ok, the posts about natural products got me wondering... What are the uses of coconut oil?
I see as a moisturizer, but what else? I'm intrigued. Do you use it on your kids?

Edensmum
05-29-2011, 04:45 PM
I use it as a moitsurizer and as a cooking oil. It has no flavor, so it's great for things like roasting veggies Etc. It's high in fat, but the good kind.

Uno-Mom
05-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Edensmum: how does the smoking point compare to, say... olive oil ... butter ... and vegetable oil?

jgenie
05-29-2011, 05:03 PM
If you cook with it, what types of dishes do you use it for? Would you mind linking to an online source? TIA

elbenn
05-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I use it in baking muffins and cakes. It works good with pancakes (on the pan instead of butter or other oil). It does have a light coconut flavor (it is from coconuts after all) so you might want to consider than when you cook with it.

DietCokeLover
05-29-2011, 05:57 PM
If you use it as a moisturizer, do you smell like a coconut?

LMPC
05-29-2011, 05:59 PM
If you use it as a moisturizer, do you smell like a coconut?
I use it on DD in the winter when she takes a bath and yeah, she smells like she belongs on a tropical island when we get done...but in a good way.

Never used it for cooking but I thought it had a low smoking point.

kochh2
05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I use it in my hair, as in, on a weekend, or after work, I put some in my hair, let it soak in over night, not so much that you leave a grease ring on your pillow, but then wash it out in the AM, and my hair feels Deee----vine!!!

it's helpful if you have GI issues, and I have occasionally tried my hand at oil pulling, which is a bit hard to understand, but it's in your mouth, and you pull it around for several minutes between your teeth, and all... supposed to help with health overall.... not sure if i buy it.

i also use it for moisturizer and cooking :)

robinsmommy
05-29-2011, 06:50 PM
I know of some crunchy mamas who use it as a natural alternative to, ahem, lubricant.

We've used it as a very light lip balm for DD, who gets cracked lips but hates the chapstick type stuff.

brittone2
05-29-2011, 07:29 PM
PPs covered most of what we use it for: cooking, washing face/removing makeup, moisturizing, natural deodorant, it is antifungal so can be used on fungal skin stuff, lub, and you can even swish it like mouthwash and then spit...it feels weird but my gums were really really healthy when I did this for a while (and it makes your teeth feel super ridiculously smooth). (like PP described, some people refer to this as "oil pulling". I don't believe the hype there but did it just for gum health, etc. and found it really effective. It is supposed to be naturally antimicrobial and I am guessing it may disrupt the tooth-decay causing bacteria when you do this. BUt yeah, I don't believe in the "oil pulling" folklore overall.) Put some on your feet in the winter and then put some white cotton socks over it to soften your feet. It really is multipurpose :)

Some brands are more "coconut" tasting and some are less so. I buy Nutiva. The more coconutty flavored brands are really good in baked goods but you can acquire a taste for it as a regular cooking oil. You want one that is unbleached, cold-pressed, not deodorized, etc. if you are looking for a "healthy" oil. They sell deodorized, refined forms of coconut oil too but they are processed differently.

Tropical Traditions is another reputable brand.

Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is one of the beneficial compounds in breastmilk :)

eta: it is solid at temps around say 70 degrees and below (almost a little like shortening consistency?) and in warmer temps (70ish...room temp in spring/summer) it will be a liquid.

DietCokeLover
05-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Ok, I'm totally fascinated. I'm going to have to get some.

brittone2
05-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Ok, I'm totally fascinated. I'm going to have to get some.

I hope you like it. With all of those possible uses, hopefully you'll find something to do with it :)

EllasMum
05-29-2011, 08:04 PM
My BFF makes icing/frosting using coconut oil. She basically swaps out the butter for coconut oil, melts dark chocolate, mixes the two, and the result is a sort-of ganache. The icing stays creamy and does not harden. We just attended her DD's birthday, and BFF had made a chocolate zucchini cake and iced it with the chocolate ganache/icing made with coconut oil. It was *wonderful*. This is her go-to icing recipe. Delicious.

Melaine
05-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Bath & Body:
I use it with as body scrub and face wash mixed with EVOO and sugar, also as a moisturizer. I have used it on the girls hair to moisturize it. I have used it as a "personal lubricant" as pp mentioned.

For cooking, I like it in baking, but I do taste the coconut taste in some things and I haven't quite got the hang of using it in place of EVOO for pan cooking. I burned a pot of popcorn trying it in place of corn oil.

My favorite is the body scrub, it is so much nicer than some expensive stuff and leaves your skin lovely and smooth. Perfect!

mrshalco
05-29-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm fascinated by this post!! I just started eating differently (Paleo) and so far I've only used the Coconut Oil in cooking! I can't wait to read more about the other uses for it!!

daisymommy
05-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Here's a good deal on a 2 pack of Nutiva to try it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO5Q64/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GAT6NG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GD4SNEX8CSCGKR3VRQC

And here is a great blog post summarizing some of the health benefits of coconut oil: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/09/coconut-oil-its-health-benefits-and-why-its-in-my-diet.html

My favorite way to use it is to cook eggs in it, saute veggies or anything else in it. It has a high smoke point. Alot of people melt it and use it for baking in place of vegetable oil or butter. I can detect the coconut flavor, but many people can't.

DietCokeLover
05-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Here's a good deal on a 2 pack of Nutiva to try it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO5Q64/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GAT6NG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GD4SNEX8CSCGKR3VRQC

And here is a great blog post summarizing some of the health benefits of coconut oil: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/09/coconut-oil-its-health-benefits-and-why-its-in-my-diet.html

My favorite way to use it is to cook eggs in it, saute veggies or anything else in it. It has a high smoke point. Alot of people melt it and use it for baking in place of vegetable oil or butter. I can detect the coconut flavor, but many people can't.

I just ordered from that deal. Now on to look at the blogpost.

ciw
05-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Bath & Body:
I use it with as body scrub and face wash mixed with EVOO and sugar

Melaine, what ratio of coconut oil to EVOO and sugar do you use?

Melaine
05-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Melaine, what ratio of coconut oil to EVOO and sugar do you use?

Here is the original recipe I started out with:

http://condo-blues.blogspot.com/2009/04/4-homemade-sugar-scrubs-that-go-from.html

After making 3 or 4 batches now, I think the ratio I use is about 50% sugar to 50% EVOO and Coconut Oil, but I just eyeball it. You just have to melt the coconut oil to mix it up. And then I like to add a bit of vanilla to make it smell like sugar cookies. Next time I think I am going to add some fresh mint instead.

momm
05-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Baby's cradle cap! The quickest most efficient way to get rid of cradle cap. It does smell though, and only goes in like two washes (because you won't use strong shampoo on babies)
When I used to have time I used to oil my own hair overnight with coconut oil like PP said. And shampoo it out the next day. I loved my hair like that and nothing else works as well for frizzy curly hair.
ETA - and dandruff.

We also use it for cooking but there's definitely a smell in the air, like with all other cooking. But it smells coconut-y.

I love it!

ciw
05-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Here is the original recipe I started out with:

http://condo-blues.blogspot.com/2009/04/4-homemade-sugar-scrubs-that-go-from.html

After making 3 or 4 batches now, I think the ratio I use is about 50% sugar to 50% EVOO and Coconut Oil, but I just eyeball it. You just have to melt the coconut oil to mix it up. And then I like to add a bit of vanilla to make it smell like sugar cookies. Next time I think I am going to add some fresh mint instead.

Thanks, Melaine! I'm definitely trying this -- it sounds like it smells yummy!

Sweetum
06-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Works like a charm on red diaper area and I believe for diaper rashes too. I apply after over exposure to sun as well. Careful, though, not before going into the sun.

Katigre
06-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Natural lubricant all the way. A middle aged woman who was a late hippie in the 70's first told me about it and it is awesome - especially newly post-partum and when you're nursing. Moisturizing, natural, and also tastes nice if you want to use it for other activities ;).

pinkmomagain
06-04-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm fascinated by this post!! I just started eating differently (Paleo) and so far I've only used the Coconut Oil in cooking! I can't wait to read more about the other uses for it!!

Yay! I'm eating this way too and loving it.

I also mix some in my coffee in the am. Trying to stay away from dairy/sugar and it lends some sweetness and a creamy/oily mouthfeel to the coffee. And with every sip it moisturizes my lips!

boltfam
06-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Yay! I'm eating this way too and loving it.

I also mix some in my coffee in the am. Trying to stay away from dairy/sugar and it lends some sweetness and a creamy/oily mouthfeel to the coffee. And with every sip it moisturizes my lips!

Funny! I'm sipping my am coffee with cocoa, almond milk, and coconut oil as I read this! Yummy!

pinkmomagain
06-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Funny! I'm sipping my am coffee with cocoa, almond milk, and coconut oil as I read this! Yummy!

OK now I'm gonna have to try the cocoa and almond milk too -- sounds delish!

firemama
06-04-2011, 10:17 PM
We use it for cooking, moisturizing, and DD's diaper rash/red bumps (it is amazing).

I buy it at Whole Foods or the health food store, and no matter what I use it for, I buy extra virgin organic food grade coconut oil. It is of much better quality and smells much better than cosmetic coconut oil.