PDA

View Full Version : How much for the popcorn?

kozachka
05-30-2011, 12:44 AM
DS went to Kung Fu Panda II with other kids from his martial arts studio this morning. He really wanted to have popcorn but I did not have cash at home (I thought I won't be able to walk him to the theater and consession stand, which turned out to not be the case) so we scounged couple of change, which I was sure would be enough for a small bag of popcorn that DS wanted. I figured it'd be a dollar or so. Nah... I got a shock of a lifetime when DS told me how much it was. Well almost a shock of a lifetime. It was $4.50. Unfreaking believable. And tons of kids had it. I outright refused to pay for it, and even if I were game I accidentally forgot all my credit cards at home. I know that snack bar is where movie theater companies make the most profit, but come on, that's some mark up. Thankfully DS did not say anything about and rushed off to the movie theater to catch the show. I know he was discappointed did ask for some popcorn once we got home where I was happy to comply by popping a bag into our microwave. I hate being a scrooge but hate being ripped off and teaching DS a bad lesson (as in he can have whatever he wants no matter the price) even more.

stefani
05-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Ugh, I know. We like to go to Dollar Theatre, and a ticket is $1.50/person. DS would ask for popcorn, but yes, I remember it is about $5 (maybe $4.50, but plus tax). I try hard to break DS out of the habit of getting something at the movie theatre. I understand that is how the theatre makes money, but I think it is just too expensive.

neobunny
05-30-2011, 07:07 AM
I, too, refuse to pay the movie theaters prices for snacks & drinks. The ticket is expensive enough! I always bring my own bottled soda & snacks & hid it in my bag. I don't like popcorn so I'll bring a candy bar or chips to snack on.

Melaine
05-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Working near a theater and talking to the management I learned about the expense of rent, upkeep, heating/cooling, and showing the films. In actuality, the theater makes ZERO profit on the tickets. ALL the profit comes from concessions, period. (at least my local theater). Just to put that in perspective. I am also too cheap to buy popcorn at the theater, but I was surprised to learn how much concessions make a difference in the profit margin. I'll be taking the girls to the summer movies and I think they sell kids' meals with popcorn and a drink for a couple dollars. That may be the only time my kids ever taste popcorn at a theater!

lhafer
05-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I pay for the popcorn. We go to the movies so seldom, that it doesn't really matter to me. Plus I love movie theater popcorn!! If we went all the time, then I wouldn't get it.

kozachka
05-31-2011, 12:50 AM
I'll be taking the girls to the summer movies and I think they sell kids' meals with popcorn and a drink for a couple dollars. That may be the only time my kids ever taste popcorn at a theater!

I would have been happy to pay couple dollars for my kids popcorn even without a drink, but will not shell out five bucks for it. So the theater is missing out on my business no matter what. Not sure if there is a way of segmenting the market in such a way so that they can sell to people like I without canibalizing their much more profitable sales to those who are willing to pay up though.

It is a slippery slope, once your kid tastes popcorn during a special deal it will continue to ask for it over and over again as it becomes part of the experience.

We went out to a movie tonight again as had to use Livingsocial code that expires on June 1st and with DH out of town it seemed like a good way to spend the evening, and I brought my own popcorn and water for DS. He asked for it, and I was happy to comply. Was pretty easy to do, but I am sure DH won't agree to it when he is around, it makes him feel 'poor' but DH and money is a whole other can of worms that I am not about to open.

Melaine
05-31-2011, 07:58 AM
A couple theaters in our area have agreements with local restaurants and you can bring food in with you. DH and I brought a Chick-fil-a dinner in once and usually pick up a smoothie from the smoothie shop. It's nice to have choices beyond the stuff they usually serve at the theater.

mom2khj
05-31-2011, 08:17 AM
I pay for the popcorn. We go to the movies so seldom, that it doesn't really matter to me. Plus I love movie theater popcorn!! If we went all the time, then I wouldn't get it.

:yeahthat:

I consider it part of the movie-going experience!

Green_Tea
05-31-2011, 08:48 AM

That's us, too. My kids go to the movies *maybe* twice a year. I figure the cost of the popcorn into the experience (and I usually buy a large tub and split it between three smaller containers, which is a bit more economical, I find.)

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2011, 08:52 AM
We went one time at lunch recently and I ordered a chicken fingers and fries' combo. When they told me it was $17(!!!!!) I canceled that order! I ordered, instead, a $9 personal sized pizza. It hurt me to pay that kid of money. I don't find the kids' snack pack ($5-6) to be that bad since it has a small drink, small popcorn and candy.

Beth

KrisM
05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
We but a drink, bit bring our own snacks. It's allowed, so no sneaking it in.

bubbaray
05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
We buy popcorn, its around $5 here. Outside food is not allowed, but I usually bring some (Twizzlers usually).

lizzywednesday
05-31-2011, 09:47 AM
I agree that $5 for a small popcorn is highway robbery.

And, sure, I know that's how the theatre makes its money.

But it doesn't stop me from "smuggling" in my own bag of Sour Patch Kids. (That cost $1 rather than $4 for the same sized bag.)

alien_host
05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
I also love the taste of movie theatre popcorn, but not the price! I usually cave and get a small or get DD the kids size and take some of hers.

Where the heck is that "do you bring your own food into the movies" thread when you need it! :wink2: I still can't believe that thread was taken down and never returned!

DebbieJ
05-31-2011, 12:04 PM

:yeahthat: But I do sneak in a soda because our theatre serves Pepsi and I'm a Coke girl. :)

AnnieW625
05-31-2011, 05:10 PM
:bag, I pop my own popcorn at home and smuggle it in my Dooney & Bourke backpack.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-31-2011, 05:19 PM
i personally never understood the need to have popcorn at the movies. maybe cuz my parents are foreign and we rarely went to the movies as kids, and when we did eating concession snacks was out of the question bc they were too expensive. plus, we weren't really allowed to have "junk" food anyway.

i would have no probs saying no to theater popcorn and just bringing in healthy snacks for my kids to eat. but i bet that's only feasible up to a certain point...until they're in school and see all the other kids have popcorn and insist on why they can't have any. ugh, am not looking forward to that. indeed $5 for a small popcorn is highway robbery.