PDA

View Full Version : Mom with 3 DCs:Would you rather have a nice backyard or more space inside your house?

moonsky
05-30-2011, 03:14 AM
House #1: 5 bedrooms 4 full bathrooms plus a nice game room. Backyard has no pool but a good size of green area.
House #2: 4 bedrooms 3 full bathrooms and a game room. Backyard has a pool, a sport court, and a good size of green area. 3 DCs need to share a bathroom as one of bathrooms is in the game room.

Which one would you pick?

kozachka
05-30-2011, 03:55 AM
I think it depends on your climate (in a cold climate I'd value indoor space more than in a warm one) and kids personality.

HannaAddict
05-30-2011, 04:36 AM
I would pick more bedrooms etc. and no pool. But I wouldn't want a pool at my house, we are not in a pool type climate or culture. Here they are seen as liabilities and would make me nervous with little ones. I think sport courts are nice but not used as much as friends who have them think they were going to use them. My kids love digging in the dirt and just being outside so sport court also isn't a big feature for me. Have fun deciding.

bnme
05-30-2011, 06:00 AM
I'd pick #2 if the game room was big enough to hold a computer desk and be an occasional guest room (if you ever have overnight guests). Does it have a living room, dining room AND family room? I'd almost definetly pick #2 if that were the case. 3 bathrooms to share with 5 people seems reasonable. Can't they still use the game room one -even if it is not where they regularly brush their teeth, etc.

veronica
05-30-2011, 07:40 AM
I'd go for #1, hands down. I'm a SAHM and having a large enough home for everyone is key for me. I don't care much about outside at all. In fact, we currently have a climber and swingset and DC's don't even like it. They prefer to go to the park! We do have a pool they love but were never looking for a home with a pool, this home just came with it.

lhafer
05-30-2011, 07:48 AM
What kind climate do you live in?

JBaxter
05-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Climate would be a big factor. We would use a pool a lot if we were a bit warmer longer. Jack and Nathan live in the hot tub. ( we are in Maryland)

Melaine
05-30-2011, 07:53 AM
I personally do not want a pool, so that would probably rule out number 2 for me. I am not sure what you mean by sport court.

Still, that is a tough choice. Extra bedrooms aren't too important to me, I'm fine with kids sharing, but a game room/play room would be great.

ETA: Just realized I responded even though I don't have 3 DC.

BeachBum
05-30-2011, 08:10 AM
We recently moved from a home with more bedrooms to one with more outdoor space, pool and on the water.
I never realized how much fun we could be having outside because we just didn't have that opportunity before. We absolutely LOVE having a pool, we have a very very large driveway that would be similar to your "sports court". The boys ride their bikes out there, play tennis, basketball etc etc. We've had several parties already and it's so nice and low key to have people over to swim and BBQ on the back patio. We also have enjoyed our vegetable garden.

It sounds to me like house two is plenty big enough---plus you get the outdoor amenities. That to me is more appealing than having more of the same thing.
Good luck with your decision!

s7714
05-30-2011, 08:16 AM
I'd pick #1 probably, but either would be contingent on just how much outside space there was. The whole climate thing is a moot point in my book, but then I grew up getting booted outside to play regardless of the conditions. I would want the larger house because I'm a big fan of personal space, but I'd want a yard big enough to accommodate a swingset and stuff. I'm not really too keen on the idea of a pool for safety, cost and maintenance reasons, but I know my girls would LOVE one.

brittone2
05-30-2011, 08:17 AM
As long as I had/have a certain amount of square footage, and bedrooms/layout that worked for us, a yard would be more important to me than upgrading to more interior space. My kids spend a lot of time outdoors, so a good-sized level lot is always high on our priority list.

liz
05-30-2011, 08:24 AM
I would go for the best backyard that suited our needs. I send my kids out in all kinds of weather (within reason of course :)). I love being able to send them outside and I know they enjoy it. We have spent a lot of money clearing and fixing our backyard because DH and I felt it was important for our kids to have a great space to play (and we enjoy it too!).

Our boys share a bedroom and a bathroom and so far, it is working out wonderfully.

ashleybama24
05-30-2011, 08:43 AM
House #1: 5 bedrooms 4 full bathrooms plus a nice game room. Backyard has no pool but a good size of green area.
House #2: 4 bedrooms 3 full bathrooms and a game room. Backyard has a pool, a sport court, and a good size of green area. 3 DCs need to share a bathroom as one of bathrooms is in the game room.

Depends on the climate and also your family's lifestyle. Do you currently spend lots of time outside playing, do your kids like to swim, are they active, would you use the pool at least half the year?

My inclination would be to do house #2 if I was going to use all the amenities and there was still enough sq footage and inside living space that we all didn't feel like we HAD to be outside. Does either house have half baths?

carolinamama
05-30-2011, 09:06 AM
I think I would pick your first choice because I have no desire to have a pool with little kids in the house - maybe even with older kids. As long as there is a nice green space where we can play, have a nice swingset and sandbox, it works for me. Of course I also think your climate does matter in the decision because I think I'd want a pool if I lived in Florida, kwim?

bubbaray
05-30-2011, 09:15 AM
I would pick more bedrooms etc. and no pool. But I wouldn't want a pool at my house, we are not in a pool type climate or culture. Here they are seen as liabilities and would make me nervous with little ones.

:yeahthat: I would choose the house without the pool, all other things being equal.

zag95
05-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd got with the place that has more indoor space- and a nice yard- #1- I wouldn't want a pool to maintain or be concerned with safety issues. I think it depends on where you live though. If I was in a more sunny climate (such as California) or Florida, then I may consider a pool more important to my family's overall needs (in terms of what I was looking for)

MMMommy
05-30-2011, 12:54 PM
I would pick #1 b/c I don't want a pool. The cost of maintaining a pool, combined with it being a liability/safety issue are two reasons why we looked for a home without a pool. I also prefer more usable indoor space, than outdoor space. And it sounds like #1 still has a decent sized backyard.

scrooks
05-30-2011, 01:01 PM
I would pick #1 b/c I don't want a pool. The cost of maintaining a pool, combined with it being a liability/safety issue are two reasons why we looked for a home without a pool. I also prefer more usable indoor space, than outdoor space. And it sounds like #1 still has a decent sized backyard.

:yeahthat: all of the above....unless you live in a very very warm climate!

MommyAllison
05-30-2011, 01:16 PM
As long as I had/have a certain amount of square footage, and bedrooms/layout that worked for us, a yard would be more important to me than upgrading to more interior space. My kids spend a lot of time outdoors, so a good-sized level lot is always high on our priority list.

ITA. We will have 3 kids very soon, and will all be sharing 1 bathroom, though eventually we'd like to put in a second bathroom. Our yard is amazing for being in the city, though - it's the first thing everyone comments on when they come over - and was a major deciding factor in buying this house.

daisymommy
05-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Hands down number #1.
I would not feel safe with a pool in my backyard and young children, and I think more green space for running around, climber/swings set is way more important.
Plus, then you would have a bigger indoor space too.

JoyNChrist
05-30-2011, 01:35 PM

This. I don't want a pool. It's HOT here and I still don't want a pool. Just too much upkeep and headache for me.

WatchingThemGrow
05-30-2011, 02:56 PM
We had a pool part of the time growing up in FL, and I enjoyed it. My friends who have 4 DC LOVE having one at their new house. She says it is so much easier than hauling everyone to another place to swim then bringing them back home wet.

Sharing a bedroom when you have guests or even long-term builds character, right? I think you have some DC who are older, right? I'd go for #2.

Tondi G
05-30-2011, 03:11 PM
We live in Calif and my boys are getting a little older... I totally see the value of having a pool and a sport court (basketball, I am assuming!). We are still in an apartment so having ANY yard would be an improvement for us. I would love to have a pool and grass and a basketball hoop!

o_mom
05-30-2011, 03:40 PM
In general, I would pick a better yard over inside sq ft, but my definition of a "better yard" does not include a pool or court on it, so I would say House #1. :)

Jo..
05-30-2011, 03:52 PM
We only have two but we went for location and lot.

In our budget we found big beautiful new houses on tiny lots.

We went for (same price) an older smaller home in a great neighborhood on a one acre lot. We felt like we could always add on/rebuild/ remodel, and that location was key.

I will be in the minority and vote backyard. We love ours. We have a large playset, a very large garden, and still have 1/2+ acres for our kids to run and play.

ChristinaLucia
05-30-2011, 03:56 PM
#2 for me!

SnuggleBuggles
05-30-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't need a big back yard. What I need is an easily accessible back yard- one visible from inside the house, flat walkout to the yard, and able to be fenced in. Big enough for a sandtable and some balls would be big enough for me if it is easy to use. We are just not inclined to use outdoor spaces, no matter how big and impressive, if they are poorly laid out. My friend has a great yard but she can't see it from inside. She doesn't quite trust her young kids out there so she has to be there. She said if she could see them from the kitchen she'd let them be out there without her. So, keep that in mind.

I wouldn't want a pool

Beth

goldenpig
05-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Wow, those both sound huge! I would pick the one with the pool (as long as it's fenced off), that sounds awesome!

ABO Mama
05-30-2011, 08:58 PM
We have 3 DS who share a room (their choice!) and a bathroom, and they love being outside, so it would be #2 for us.

Kungjo
05-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Depends on where you live and whether you're an outdoor person. If you spend most of your time inside the house, then I would pick house #1. IF you prefer to spend most of the year regardless of whether it's hot or cold outside then house #2 sounds better.

Have you ever had a pool? It's a lot of maintenance and upkeep. Do you want to be bothered with that or do you live in a planned community where there are neighborhood pools and hiking trails?

Indianamom2
05-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I'd choose the bigger house with no pool. Personally, the pool is a big safety factor for me (we had ours removed last year and it was such a relief not to have to worry about it or take care of it all summer.

As long as you have a nice-sized back yard, the indoor space would be more valuable for our family.

Also, keep in mind the maintenance costs of all the extra outdoor space. More grass to mow, chemicals to buy, work to do....

maestramommy
05-30-2011, 09:19 PM
House #2!

We have a pool, but the rest of the yard is unfenced, and until recently a wilderness. We are having part of it leveled, graded and seeded. Then fenced. I can't wait!

jjjo1112
05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
I have 3 kids, and I would pick number 2 for sure. I love having a large fenced yard. The kids play out there all the time. We live on a cul-de-sac and the kids are constantly playing hockey, riding bikes, playing basketball out there. I would love to have a pool because in our experience- it's where everyone congregates. Today was a beautiful day and all the kids were at our neighbor's house swimming. As the kids get older, I would rather my house be the one that everyone hangs at, so a pool would be a big draw for that :)

longtallsally05
05-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Well, I'm working on DC#3, but I can tell you I'd choose House #1 in a heartbeat. I see a pool as a liability. My cousin's DD nearly drowned in her backyard pool when my cousin & his wife had a miscommunication about who was supposed to be watching the children. They got lucky. I'd much rather have 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, with the game room and a large yard. Your kids can play any way they want to in a large green space. You could always add a pool later if you decide that you really want one.

KrisM
05-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I have 3 kids. I often wish we had a 5th bedroom just as an extra. Our office is in our kitchen. Our hobby stuff is whereever it fits. Our house is nice sized at 2200 sq ft, but that extra bedroom would be wondeful.

I also would not want a pool.

We use our backyard a lot in the nicer weather. We have the swing set, sand box, and lots of lawn. We live on a cul de sac and it's nice for bike riding, etc.

I'd go with house #1.

moonsky
05-31-2011, 01:25 AM
What kind climate do you live in?

Hot and dry in summer. From I was told, it could be above 100F but it would be only 3 months.

bubbaray
05-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Hot and dry in summer. From I was told, it could be above 100F but it would be only 3 months.

OK, I change my vote. House with the pool, but only with a secure pool fence, even if the yard is fenced.

moonsky
05-31-2011, 01:44 AM
OK, I change my vote. House with the pool, but only with a secure pool fence, even if the yard is fenced.

Though it rains a lot and is wet half of the time in winter and spring. It is cold in Fall.

kijip
05-31-2011, 01:47 AM
I would choose house #2 provided the house is in an area where pools are fairly common, popular and a good selling point. I would not buy a pool house in Seattle for example, but I would in the desert or in Florida.

Roni
05-31-2011, 08:57 AM
I would have said more indoor space, but I would like the pool. Both houses sound bigger than mine, so I would be happy either way.

amldaley
05-31-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't have 3 DC but in the last 10 years I have lived in 5 different types of houses.

In addition to considering space and how your family will use it, you should also consider your lifestyle & the upkeep of your home & property. A pool is alot of work. A big yard means spending weekends doing yardwork. A big house means more house to clean. What suits your lifestyle and your personalities?

ladysoapmaker
05-31-2011, 09:16 AM
I would personally pick #1. But then again having 4 kids and a very small house, I'm all for more space inside. That and I'm very leery with having a pool with little ones.

Good luck making your decision.

Jen

hellokitty
05-31-2011, 09:28 AM
House #1. If you can only use the pool for 3 mo out of the yr, the pool is not worth it. Plus, the safety issue about having a pool is huge to me, if you have little ones.

SammyeGail
05-31-2011, 11:38 AM
We just moved to FL from TN. We lived in the Eastern side of TN with lots of terrain, so a flat lot was very rare. If there was one it was tiny and you saw anything going on in the back facing neighbors yard, or house, lol. I really wanted one but we ended up with a slopped one, it was a pain.

I would lean toward the one with the yard with the pool, but we do live in FL now. I have always wanted one personally. I would fence it off for safety since the boys don't know how to swim yet. It would have to be in view from inside, tons of houses here have the pool as a 'focal point' of the backyard, big doors/windows to see it from inside.

I go with other PP who mention climate as a factor. Our boys have always shared a bedroom, who knows when they will separate.

If you have more to do in the backyard (play), DC might not be so adamant on separate bedrooms, if that makes sense. My niece & her DH bought a house with what you could call a gameroom above the garage, its really separate from the rest of the house. Its her step-son's room and has a bathroom. He's 14 now so the house with the gameroom, it could eventually be a bedroom for oldest DC.

I would also take into consideration the flow of the house. Our house in TN did not have an open floorplan, you could not see anyone else in another room. Not fun when the boys were toddlers! My biggest request in a house here in FL was that you could see the family room from the kitchen. We got that in the townhouse we just closed on. :thumbsup: Now if I could just blink my eyes and all our stuff be moved over there.