PDA

View Full Version : New to the world of Iphones & have questions (ETA also considering a Droid)

Jo..
05-30-2011, 09:35 AM
DH has to replace his cell (it was an old work provided 3G iphone). He's starting a new job and has to buy his own phone.,

We were thinking about just getting two, signing up for the family plan, and ditching our landline. His new employer reimburses monthly bills (voice text data), so our only out of pocket expenses would be the initial phone purchases and my portion of the monthly bill.

I see the 3gs 8gb on the apple site for $49, is it worth an extra $150 to upgrade to the 4G 16gb ($200) ?

And, if it is worth it to get the newer model, are there any better deals out there?

I am stuck in the dark ages with my old voice only prepaid cell phone that I only use for emergencies, so I am completely new to the smartphone world.

larig
05-30-2011, 09:44 AM
The one piece of info I have that would sway my decision if I were you is that apple is not going to support an upgrade for that phone. It will not receive the next scheduled upgrade that apple will release (likely) this year. That means the phone is what it is now, and won't get any new features from apple, and some app developers who implement and use the new features in their apps won't support that older technology in all likelihood. So, if you're happy with it the way it is now, and don't expect to be needing all the newest coolest apps, I'd consider getting the 3gs. Otherwise spring for the 4. I really like my 4, but it is very likely that an even newer iphone will be released this fall. Does this make sense?

so, I'd likely make due with what I have until the new phone, buy it or a reduced price iphone 4 (it may replace the 3gs as the $50 or $99 phone? if apple's previous pattern holds).

or, buy the iphone 4 and be stuck with it for 2 years.

I just don't think I'd want to be committed to a phone that is already 2 years old for another 2 years, knowing they are not going to support it in further updates on that model (which means the new stuff is too powerful for the old technology).

mommy111
05-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Have you looked at the 4g capable droids on the T-mobile website as well as, I think, verizon. Some are free today with 2 year contracts. Would you consider doing that instead of an iphone?
I'm in the same dilemma right now, I need a new smartphone and cannot afford too expensive. Would love an iphone but they don't run the faster 4g network and the iphone 4, even when the price will likely fall in the fall, will still be a year or two behind the newest 'droids that we're getting for free right now. Unless you'd like to spring for an iphone5 when it comes out.....

larig
05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Have you looked at the 4g capable droids on the T-mobile website as well as, I think, verizon. Some are free today with 2 year contracts. Would you consider doing that instead of an iphone?
I'm in the same dilemma right now, I need a new smartphone and cannot afford too expensive. Would love an iphone but they don't run the faster 4g network and the iphone 4, even when the price will likely fall in the fall, will still be a year or two behind the newest 'droids that we're getting for free right now. Unless you'd like to spring for an iphone5 when it comes out.....

this is true, but unless the phone is your primary connection to the internet I wouldn't let it sway you, especially not if you're on AT&T. Most cities don't have 4G networks yet on AT&T. Only 5 will be rolling out in the near future, and a few more will after that. For us, 4G is less important than the high quality apple-supported app store that comes along with an iphone. It's worth the money to me.

link tells at&t's 4g schedule
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/05/26/atandts-4g-battle-plan-15-major-cities-in-2011/

mommy111
05-30-2011, 02:32 PM
this is true, but unless the phone is your primary connection to the internet I wouldn't let it sway you, especially not if you're on AT&T. Most cities don't have 4G networks yet on AT&T. Only 5 will be rolling out in the near future, and a few more will after that. For us, 4G is less important than the high quality apple-supported app store that comes along with an iphone. It's worth the money to me.

link tells at&t's 4g schedule
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/05/26/atandts-4g-battle-plan-15-major-cities-in-2011/
Oh AT&T doesn't really have 4G. If I wanted 4G I'd go with verizon or t mobile which has unlimited everything plans for around $80 and with pretty good coverage (I've had them in several different locations including 2 metro areas and internationally for the past many years and never had problems).
I'm mentioning this because I really WANT an iphone :) But I'm not sure paying $100-200 for the phone plus $25-35 extra a month for the plan is worth it when you can do a non-iphone for so much less. That easily adds up to nearly $1000 extra over the course of 2 years.

Jo..
05-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh I wanted to ask another question here after doing some research into $ etc....an individual plan (DH only) would cost $85 through AT&T and would be employer reimbursed. They pay for unlimited text and data, but base voice.

A family plan would add $10 to text, $15 to data, and $80!!! to voice (because we'd have to upgrade to unlimited voice if the cells were our ONLY phones).

So MY phone would cost us $105 monthly ($1260 per year). Not in the budget. Even if we got rid of our landline ($35 per month+ long distance which is minimal).

I googled and found the T-Mobile even more plus plan and went to their site and they are having a 4 day sale where the $500 G2 phones are FREE. Even better, there is only a $50 difference between an individual plan and a family plan. So if we got rid of home phone, had free long distance, and I ditched my pre-paid emergency use cheapie cell, the cost would be only an extra $5-10 per month.

DH however has friends with droids who are disassitisfied with battery life etc. His boss can only get a few hours out of his droid battery, and they need to carry these phones around basically all day every day.

Input?

Options?

larig
05-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Oh AT&T doesn't really have 4G. If I wanted 4G I'd go with verizon or t mobile which has unlimited everything plans for around $80 and with pretty good coverage (I've had them in several different locations including 2 metro areas and internationally for the past many years and never had problems).
I'm mentioning this because I really WANT an iphone :) But I'm not sure paying $100-200 for the phone plus $25-35 extra a month for the plan is worth it when you can do a non-iphone for so much less. That easily adds up to nearly $1000 extra over the course of 2 years.

Not sure I follow how it is an extra $25-35/month for an iphone over what a droid's data plan cost would be? I definitely pay for a phone, to the tune of about $300 (I get a large-capacity one) every two years, but beyond that I'd say it's a wash. The service plans are the same, roughly, for verizon and at&t for smart phones--there's not an iphone surcharge. (I'm just trying to clarify for the OP).

Like I said, I happily pay the extra $300/two years for the apple brand backed stuff that comes along with an iphone--like the woman last week whose husband shattered hers which apple replaced, the standard-setting app store, and the knowledge that in a couple of years I'll hand it down to DS to play with and it will still be useable (he now has use of our iphone with no sim card from before he was born for when we travel, etc). If it wasn't in my budget to spend the $300 every 2 years, then I'd be fine with a droid too. Technology is a priority in our family, but totally not for everyone!

The thing about droids is that it's like buying a windows PC--there are a zillion makers, and not every one making them is making them well. Some don't support upgrades, some do...do your homework and make sure, if you buy a droid that you buy one that the manufacturer and carrier will upgrade the software on in the future. that said, I know many many people who love their droids. Ask the BBBers which ones they have and like (BTW, T-mobile was purchased by AT&T--no word if the gov't will approve the sale.)

Also, as far as budgeting--taxes should be looked into as well. I find our taxes our really high, compared to the cost of the service.

MMMommy
05-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Do you and DH use gmail as your primary email? We do in our family, and prefer Droid smartphones for that very reason. Droid phones are well integrated with all things Google - Gmail, Google calendar, and Google Contacts.

I am partial to smartphones with a pullout keyboard, which is why I have a Droid 2. Virtual keyboards are a problem for me b/c my typos are endless when using a virtual keyboard. I really need the pullout keyboard. The Droid 2's screen is much smaller than the Droid X, which can be annoying, but the payoff for me is the pullout keyboard. DH likes his Droid X and doesn't mind the virtual keyboard. I think pullout keyboards are becoming extinct and most phones are going the way of virtual keyboards.

mommy111
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
So the savings with the droid come if you have tmobile which has much cheaper plan rates than AT&T or verizon. If they've been bought out by AT&T, that won't be a problem b/c we'll be grandfathered into the cheaper T-mobile rates.
Having said that, I've waited and waited to get back to the US and get an iphone. Now I'm just wondering if its in my budget given the cost difference, like Jo already mentioned in her previous post.
Jo, let us know what you decide on!