PDA

View Full Version : DCUM on Kojo

mommylamb
05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
While I'm a DC local, I've never really bothered with the DC Urban Moms boards. Probably because I just found these first and this already distracts me enough from IRL ;). But, wow... just driving home and had WAMU on, so I was listening to Kojo (not usually my favorite, but it was what was on) and the discussion was about parenting websites/boards, specifically DCUM. That place sounds so totally viscous! And the guy who runs the boards was on and basically said it goes against their philosophy to get involved at all during the flame sessions. Just wanted to say I'm glad I'm here and not there.

dcmom2b3
05-30-2011, 01:50 PM
DCUM is Lord of the Flies for the Internet age -- I spend a little time there (schools forums mostly) and there are times I'm floored by the craziness.

When I need to post a question or to vent, I come to my BBB family!!!

egoldber
05-30-2011, 01:54 PM
I think it's the anonymity of it. Some people view it as a sport. But unfortunately, it's one of the few places where you can get info on some things (at least that I know of).

I hang out on the Special Needs and Virginia Public School forum. Sometimes general schooling as well. I have to say the anonymity does mean I feel like I can say things or ask questions there that I would not be comfortable asking in an identified forum.

TwinFoxes
05-30-2011, 02:06 PM
I heard it too. I don't know what makes DCUM so, well, evil. M-H's description is spot on! I think there is a high troll to parent ratio. I'm no shrinking violet, but those boards scare me!

mommylamb
05-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Very interesting read...http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/40290/dc-mommy-fight-site/page1/

Cam&Clay
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Never heard of this. Have I been living under a rock? Must check it out.

lablover
05-30-2011, 08:02 PM
I have been on the DCUM mailing list for years and it has always seemed tame. Awhile ago when you all were talking about how vicious it was I was confused so I pulled up the website and started poking around, and yikes! I guess the mailing list is different because you have to have an email address associated with your posts.

K-Bear
05-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Eh - maybe I've been on that board too long but I'm kind of used to the nastiness over there. It is a good local board and sometimes the fights are pretty entertaining.