PDA

View Full Version : Yet another sunscreen question...best sunscreen that doesn't leave a white residue?

TwinFoxes
05-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Or at least less white residue? My girls are naturally a lovely shade of tan, all of the "good" sunscreens leave them looking a little, well, eery. We've mostly used California Baby and the Neutrogena stick. I appreciate any advice, thanks!

Uno-Mom
05-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Sprog and I are both naturally fair (aka pasty white) and the Cal Baby stick made her look like Casper the Ghost! I hear that most sticks do that. This year we're trying ThinkBaby and Episcential creams - no ghosty film from those and so far they seem to work well. Not that we've had a lot of sun so far around here...

dcmom2b3
05-30-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm watching with interest, I'm not a fan of the blue-ish cast that DD (and I) get with mineral sunscreens. I can't bring myself to switch her to chemical sunscreen, though. I've heard others say good things about Purple Prarie (sp?) sunscreen -- but don't recall whether lack of ghostly glow was one of the selling points.

TF, maybe we should just get our girls together, all blue and ghostly, and bill them as the preschool counterpart to the Blue Man Group? :tongue5:

m448
05-30-2011, 05:59 PM
I can't use mineral screens for my own skin for the same reasons. I use beyond coastal spf30 sport.

crl
05-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Loving Naturals lotion leaves the least white of any of the sunblocks I have tried and it is thinner so easier to rub in. For stick, the Purple Prairie stick leaves the least. (I have not tried the purple prairie lotion.)

Catherine

toby
05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Coppertone Kids Pure and Simple (3 rating) doesn't seem to leave much white (however, my DS is very fair so it may be hard to tell!)

I just got Purple Prairie lotion and I have to say that I am disappointed. Others seem to love it, but I thought that it was hard to rub in.

TwinFoxes
05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
TF, maybe we should just get our girls together, all blue and ghostly, and bill them as the preschool counterpart to the Blue Man Group? :tongue5:

Wolftrap, here we come! :)

Thanks for all of the advice so far...any others?

brittone2
05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Physical blocks by their nature are going to be prone to making your skin white. The ones that are less white often use nanoparticle sized titanium and or zinc oxide. Making it nanosized means you are less likely to get a white coating and it may seem to "rub in" better, but there are health concerns with nanoparticles (can cross many biological barriers). DH's area of research for his Phd was in nanoparticles and we tend to avoid nano-sized sunscreen when we can. If you want a physical block, most are going to leave a white cast. If you want a physical block but don't care about nano particles, you may find one that doesn't leave such a substantial white cast.

KpbS
05-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Coppertone Kids Pure and Simple (3 rating) doesn't seem to leave much white (

You might try this one. I really like it and if it is rubbed in it is not too ghost-like :)

Kungjo
05-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Coppertone Kids Pure and Simple (3 rating) doesn't seem to leave much white (however, my DS is very fair so it may be hard to tell!)

My DDs are rather dark and I use this one and don't see a whitest tint after it's rubbed in.

Kungjo
05-30-2011, 09:16 PM
I just got Purple Prairie lotion and I have to say that I am disappointed. Others seem to love it, but I thought that it was hard to rub in.

Toby, what about Purple Prairie don't you like? Is it really that much harder to run in? How well does it work as a sunscreen though? I'm considering buying it.

infomama
05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Vanicream is great. We currently use the 60.

Tondi G
05-31-2011, 01:06 AM

The Coppertone baby pure and free ingredient list (it may rank a 3 but it has chemicals and parabens)

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (5%), Zinc Oxide (14.5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alcohol Benzoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, PEG 12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride

TwinFoxes
05-31-2011, 04:20 AM
Physical blocks by their nature are going to be prone to making your skin white. The ones that are less white often use nanoparticle sized titanium and or zinc oxide. Making it nanosized means you are less likely to get a white coating and it may seem to "rub in" better, but there are health concerns with nanoparticles (can cross many biological barriers). DH's area of research for his Phd was in nanoparticles and we tend to avoid nano-sized sunscreen when we can. If you want a physical block, most are going to leave a white cast. If you want a physical block but don't care about nano particles, you may find one that doesn't leave such a substantial white cast.

Honestly, nano particles scare me. A lot. I guess I want the best of both worlds. I can handle some white, but California Baby makes them look freakish. I wouldn't care, but they already get enough unwanted attention.

The Coppertone baby pure and free ingredient list (it may rank a 3 but it has chemicals and parabens)

Crap. Parabens worry me.

Maybe I'll try the Vanicream, it's available in B&M stores right? Are any of the others?

I'm starting to think my fantasy sun screen doesn't exist.

mytwosons
05-31-2011, 06:06 AM
We were happy with the vanicream sensitive 30 when we used it last year. It starts out white, but very quickly disappears.

mytwosons
05-31-2011, 06:11 AM

Beth, how can I tell if a sunscreen is using nanoparticles? Would it say on the label?

o_mom
05-31-2011, 06:54 AM
We have used Alba Botanics the last two summers. Their mineral kids and fragrance free mineral formulas rate a 2. It rubs in easily and I don't notice a white cast like I do with the CB stick we use on faces. I found it at B&M stores the last two years, but not this year so I may just order some online. It was not horribly expensive, either. ETA: the listing on EWG doesn't mention nanoparticles.

TwinFoxes
05-31-2011, 07:06 AM
We have used Alba Botanics the last two summers. Their mineral kids and fragrance free mineral formulas rate a 2. It rubs in easily and I don't notice a white cast like I do with the CB stick we use on faces. I found it at B&M stores the last two years, but not this year so I may just order some online. It was not horribly expensive, either. ETA: the listing on EWG doesn't mention nanoparticles.

This is helpful, because I'm pretty sure Wegman or Whole Foods sell Alba Botanics. Thanks.

I think I'm just going to end up trying a bunch. I'll report back. :)

brittone2
05-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Beth, how can I tell if a sunscreen is using nanoparticles? Would it say on the label?

It won't say it on the label most of the time. EWG sometimes has this info.

Under EWG's methodology info for sunscreens they discuss briefly where they got their info on particle size (about halfway down the page here)

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/ewg-s-methodology-for-assessing-sunscreens/

kaharris83
05-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Here's a list of sunscreens that according to the author don't contain nano-particles. In some descriptions she mentions whether they leave a white cast or not. Maybe you could try some of these.

http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/sunscreen/

TwinFoxes
05-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Here's a list of sunscreens that according to the author don't contain nano-particles. In some descriptions she mentions whether they leave a white cast or not. Maybe you could try some of these.

Thank you very much for this link! :thumbsup:

BabyBearsMom
05-31-2011, 12:42 PM
We tried badger this weekend and liked it a lot. It was a lot easier to put on than California Baby and not nearly as white. It was a little hard to get on DD's face (I really need to pick up a stick for that), but other than that it rubbed in fairly easily, at least comparably speaking.

HIU8
05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
I agree. I have been using it for DD and DS. I find that if I rub it in really well there is much much less of the white residue. Funny--it works really well for the kids. DH used it over the weekend and got a bad burn (I applied it just as I would the kids).

AnnieW625
05-31-2011, 01:35 PM
So far all physical wise I am going to have to say the Johnson & Johnson No More Tears SPF 40. DD1 is pretty dark (she's 1/4 hispanic doesn't look a bit Irish compared to me) and this one rubs in pretty well; definitely not as white as Blue Lizard.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Episencial or the All Terrain Spray (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=All+terrain+30+spray&x=0&y=0). Vanicream, too.

american_mama
05-31-2011, 04:54 PM
deleting because I see people are interested in more specialized sunscreens

wendmatt
05-31-2011, 05:10 PM
I actually love when DD has a whitish glow, I can see that I've covered her properly and know it's doing its job!

fortato
05-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Episencial or the All Terrain Spray (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=All+terrain+30+spray&x=0&y=0). Vanicream, too.

AMAZING STUFF!!! I can't recommend this more!!!

mommybug
06-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Honestly, nano particles scare me. A lot. I guess I want the best of both worlds. I can handle some white, but California Baby makes them look freakish. I wouldn't care, but they already get enough unwanted attention.

Crap. Parabens worry me.

Maybe I'll try the Vanicream, it's available in B&M stores right? Are any of the others?

I'm starting to think my fantasy sun screen doesn't exist.

In case you're thinking about trying Vanicream, I'm pretty sure that it has nano particles. EWG states that the zinc oxide is sunscreen grade < 100nm, and if I'm reading things right, that is considered nano particle size. Which explains why it's not white. We've been using it based on DS2's dermatologist's rec, but I'm going to try Purple Prairie and the All Terrain spray.

Naranjadia
06-05-2011, 12:29 AM

We just got Loving Naturals, which is on the list and EWG's top whatever. It goes on really well - a lot more easily than others. And I feel it is less white. Blue Lizard & Badger are also ones we use.

I have yet to find a face stick that isn't pretty white though. Except for myself. :D Very expensive Coola (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003T1OZPS) which goes on matte and works well with makeup.

MoeJoe
06-06-2011, 11:55 AM
So far all physical wise I am going to have to say the Johnson & Johnson No More Tears SPF 40. DD1 is pretty dark (she's 1/4 hispanic doesn't look a bit Irish compared to me) and this one rubs in pretty well; definitely not as white as Blue Lizard.

Do you know if J&J has nano particles and/or parabens. I tried reading about it, but with 4 hrs of sleep- it is going right over my head! This is a great price and that is our second concern right now...

Thanks!

mommybug
06-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Do you know if J&J has nano particles and/or parabens. I tried reading about it, but with 4 hrs of sleep- it is going right over my head! This is a great price and that is our second concern right now...

Thanks!
If I'm understanding things correctly, yes, J&J has nano particles. EWG has the zinc oxide as sunscreen grade < 100nm.

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/384169/Johnson_%26_Johnson_Johnson%27s_Baby_Daily_Face_%2 6_Body_Lotion%2C_SPF_40/

pastrygirl
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I really like Episencial.

essnce629
06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm a fan of both the Purple Prairie lotion and sunstick. I'm 1/2 black, 1/2 Mexican and have dark skin and don't notice too much of a white cast. DBF is super white and I've noticed he looks white after using it since he always put way too much on and can't rub it all in! When I do the kids and I don't notice any crazy whiteness. I like the sunstick as well as the lotion.

I also ordered the All Terrain Kidsport spray for DS1 to use at camp this year after hearing it doesn't leave a lot of whiteness. The particle size is >100 which is good.

toby
06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Toby, what about Purple Prairie don't you like? Is it really that much harder to run in? How well does it work as a sunscreen though? I'm considering buying it.

Just getting back to this thread- sorry. For some reason, I thought that Purple Prairie was going to be thinner. I got the SunStuff Lotion and the stick (which is nice because it is really big).

I am trying it right now and I just think that it is harder to rub in than Vanicream, for example. I feel like I have a coating on my skin (which I do, but I don't feel like that with the Vanicream or Coppertone!)

It also has a slight, herbal scent so I can't use it on picky DS.
I do like the stick and other people, such as PP like the lotion so you might give it a try.

ETA: I haven't used it enough to be able to comment on how effective it is.