PDA

View Full Version : White kids furniture - yay or nay?

CharlotteMommy
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
DC #2 is going to be a girl, and we are trying to decide on furniture for the nursery. We are leaning toward white furniture, but wanted opinions on whether it will just be destroyed by little kid messes like crayons, etc. Please weigh in with your experience with white furniture in your DC's room. TIA!

erosenst
05-30-2011, 08:15 PM
DD has white furniture. She's had the shelves and dresser since she was born, and her bed since she was 2.5. She's now 7, and while there are definitely a few dings, it's not bad at all.

WatchingThemGrow
05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
DD's had some crayon marks on it from the time I left them all here with our minister's wife, lol. They came right off. We have some wear spots where DH leaned up against the changing table a zillion times, but Stanley sent us a white paint pen to fix it. It is beautiful furniture and it makes a small room seem very big.

MommyAllison
05-30-2011, 08:29 PM
We have some white furniture in both of the kid bedrooms, and have been happy with it. The changing table/dresser has spots where the paint has rubbed off from 5.5 years of constant use, but we just touch up whenever we want to. The white furniture actually stays cleaner than all of our white trim & interior doors, go figure. :)

KrisM
05-30-2011, 08:47 PM
DD has the white furniture that I got in 1976. It cleans up pretty well. I did repaint it about 6 years ago, but other than that, it wipes clean.

happymom
05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
We have white furniture- the Stanley Young America line. DD's room is tiny, and we didn't want to make the room seem even smaller with dark furniture. DD is only 2.5 years, so we haven't had the furniture all that long, but its still in good condition so far. The paint did wear off in 2 spots- the spots that we lean against when changing her and when putting her to sleep. I think DH's belt in particular makes that worse. I would buy white again in a heartbeat though.

geochick
05-30-2011, 09:00 PM
White's fine if you're particularly careful with what you let in the room. When my dd was younger, we didn't allow her to use crayons, markers, etc., in her white room. She used that stuff in the designated art area. She's now 4 and has a desk with all that art stuff in it in her white room. We've never had a problem with messes on the white furniture. It's no different from having a light wall (aka canvas to a 2 year old). I actually like white because it shows you where the grubby fingerprints are.

mom2binsd
05-30-2011, 09:06 PM
We have white in both DC's rooms. I think it's easier, as you can always pick up other pieces to go, white is generally white whereas woods are so many different finishes. I've also been able to touch up little nicks with white paint very easily (I used liquid paper once too and it was fine).

waitingforgrace
05-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Go for the white. It's easy to clean and you can easily add pieces later. No matter what finish you choose the bigger factor is the quality of it to start.