PDA

View Full Version : Travel crib / bed - for beach use also - Advice needed!

BabiMama
05-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Need a travel bed / crib for 7 mo DS - must be able to carry it on or pack in suitcase for plane trip.
Trying to decide between Peapod, Bjorn Travel Lite Crib, GoCrib, and Phil&Ted Traveller.
Would also like to use it on day trips to the beach here in Florida to avoid buying a separate beach tent (will be set up under umbrella so it doesn't have to be covered on top). Can any of these really be used for both? (a crib and the beach)

I've read all the posts I can find on each of these options but still can't decide. Advice welcome!

kbud
05-30-2011, 11:45 PM
I have a peapod plus and love it. I've packed it in my suitcase many times. I haven't used it on the beach. We are also in FL and I got a UV rated small beach tent. As you know in FL once something goes to the beach there is no way to get the sand out, ever! So I wouldn't want to have sand in a bed that would be used elsewhere. Also the peapod would still let some light in, so there would still be UV rays. The kids to play with the beach tent too at home on the porch for fun. I was ok w/the sand in it for that.

kbud
05-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Sorry, I just saw you said it would be under an umbrella! So the UV protection isn't as important.

vonfirmath
05-31-2011, 10:15 AM
I have a peapod plus and love it. I've packed it in my suitcase many times. I haven't used it on the beach. We are also in FL and I got a UV rated small beach tent. As you know in FL once something goes to the beach there is no way to get the sand out, ever! So I wouldn't want to have sand in a bed that would be used elsewhere. Also the peapod would still let some light in, so there would still be UV rays. The kids to play with the beach tent too at home on the porch for fun. I was ok w/the sand in it for that.

What tent did you use? my son LOVES going to the park and we are looking at getting something easy to put up to protect the baby from the sun but she can play in near momma (or daddy) while DS runs off and plays on the equipment/bike rides/etc.

weech
05-31-2011, 11:16 AM
When DS was small, we used a Peapod on the beach. Now we use this pop-up tent: http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-10115-Instent-Shelter/dp/B001GAPN78/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1306854932&sr=8-9

lizzywednesday
05-31-2011, 11:23 AM
We used a pop-up sun shelter at the beach last year (this one, from LL Bean: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58396?feat=1096-GN2) and I bought a boat-shaped pool float at the grocery store ... I figured it would be a good place for DD to lounge while we sat on the sand. I rolled towels to prop her a bit and draped another one so she wasn't directly on the vinyl ... but it made quite a comfy nap spot! (And if it hadn't started to rain, she'd have napped there happily all day, I am sure!)

Of course, she was only 4 months old while we were at the beach, so if your baby is crawling or walking, it may not be as easy as a pool boat!