PDA

View Full Version : What are you using for bugs?

Ceepa
05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
It's been a buggy season so far and getting worse. We're outside more these days and the insects are terrible.

Last year we had a eucalyptus spray that was OK but wondering if there's something safe that you guys like. We're not talking deep woods camping but something for general outdoors activity would be good.

trentsmom
05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
There was an article in the paper this weekend that talked about Terro Mosquito Repellent (http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=mosquito). It's something that you sprinkle on the yard to keep away mosquitoes and gnats. I'm going to try it out so that I don't have to keep putting bug repellent on all of us.

The article also talked about BugBands (http://bugband.net/bugband-store-wristbands.php). Might have to try those, too.

Jo..
05-31-2011, 11:26 AM
I LOVE my Thermacell. Love it. Was recommended on Garden Web, hunters use it and love it in the woods, and you don't have to spray anything on your body.

If I am out working in the garden I just keep it nearby (it works 15 feet in every direction so it is also great for cookouts, camping, etc).

The refills (repellant and butane) can get pricey but if you shop around online there are deals.

Walmart, sporting good stores, etc all carry these

http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCELL-MR-G-Cordless-Repellent-Appliance/dp/B0031ESIVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306855502&sr=8-1

I am a mosquito magnet and Bug Bands and natural repellants did not work for me.

Fairy
05-31-2011, 12:08 PM
For the first time that I can remember ever, we have a huge junebug problem. They're positively everywhere. And they creep me out. I had a junebug incident in college, and I'm just noooot good with any kind of beetle ever since. We have an exterminator that does quarterly service, he's due thsi month thank goodness. We also had the wasp treatment done around the house, and that's been good so far.

trentsmom
05-31-2011, 02:39 PM
I LOVE my Thermacell. Love it. Was recommended on Garden Web, hunters use it and love it in the woods, and you don't have to spray anything on your body.

I read about Thermacell in a hunting column. I didn't realize that it had such a large area of protection! That would be perfect for when my boys are playing in the kiddie pool.

Ceepa
05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Jo, never heard of the Thermacell. Looks interesting. Thanks.

Trentsmom, the bands look like a possibility because I could hang them off of belt loops.

BTW, Fairy, do I even want to know what a "junebug incident" is? :ROTFLMAO:

JoyNChrist
05-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Thermacell is awesome! DH uses one for hunting and I love it for the backyard.

I HATE junebugs! Those little hooked feet freak me out!

peanut520
05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Is there anything out there for ticks too?

boilermakermom
05-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Has anyone tried the Badger stick or lotion?

Indianamom2
05-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Ugh....Junebugs! Please Fairy, tell me it's not true! One of the things I've enjoyed about living in northern Indiana is the LACK of Junebugs. But if they're in Chicago...well, that can't be good news.

I HATE JUNEBUGS. Hate them with a passion.