PDA

View Full Version : Where the heck do you get these "safe" sunscreens?

elektra
05-31-2011, 12:09 PM
I have been following the sunscreen threads and after being set on what I thought was o good choice (copper tone pure and simple) I read about those nano particles. :dizzy:
So I searched for the purple prairie and it was sold out on one site and on amazon, one bottle and one stick came to $44 after tax and shipping. :( and then one of the safe mama.com recs that was a spray was going to take 3 weeks to ship!
The thing is, I am headed to Hawaii with two very fair children and one very fair adult, who will be in and out of the water a zillion times. I got the neutrogena free and clear last year because I thought that was safer but it doesn't get good ratings I guess. I can pack some screen but I will also likely have to buy some there, probably at walmart.

Can one hope for an easily attainable, "safe" sunscreen that does not take 30 min to completely rub in?

BabyBearsMom
05-31-2011, 12:12 PM
I picked up Badger sunscreen at Whole Foods and used it this weekend. I was really pleased with it. It is still on the harder side to rub in, but not terrible. I see California Baby at Target. I have also seen this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036B8S1I/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0030UGP92&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HWQQ3JXMYDGJQSZWAJW at Target and my grocery store which is well reviewed by the BBB mommas.

Fairy
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm at high anxiety levels about this, too, guys. I don't know what the right choice is on these anymore. I got the spray stuff a couple years ago, and the Neutrogena Free & Clear last year. Camp is almost upon us, and sunscreen management literally gives me shpilkies. What is the right answer?! Gah!

crl
05-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Badger at my local Sports Basement
CA Baby at Target
Loving Naturals off Amazon
Purple Prairie stick off their website a while ago

I used to use Blue Lizard and got that from drugstore.com I think.

Catherine

scrooks
05-31-2011, 12:19 PM
I am having sunscreen anxiety here too....I really like using sprays but apparently there are no safe sprays? I thought the neutrogena baby free and clear was ok? :shrug:

TwoBees
05-31-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm at high anxiety levels about this, too, guys. I don't know what the right choice is on these anymore. I got the spray stuff a couple years ago, and the Neutrogena Free & Clear last year. Camp is almost upon us, and sunscreen management literally gives me shpilkies. What is the right answer?! Gah!

:yeahthat:

I have NO idea what's best. Yesterday I tried Water Babies Pure and Simple which didn't seem too bad on DD, but we weren't really in the sun too much. Chemical sunscreens do not work for me, so I originally thought I needed to use a physical block on DD, but maybe I'm just the oddball. Tons of people use chemical blocks and don't get burned. I don't want my kid to think she's a vampire because I never let her out in the sun!

calv
05-31-2011, 12:25 PM
many can be found online, also try amazon. blue lizzard is at cvs

elektra
05-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Badger at my local Sports Basement
CA Baby at Target
Loving Naturals off Amazon
Purple Prairie stick off their website a while ago

I used to use Blue Lizard and got that from drugstore.com I think.

Catherine

Thanks for this list. I think I need to check out the Loving Naturals.
I really hate the CA baby stuff- it is SOOO thick and white. My DH just about refuses to deal with it.

And now that you list the Blue Lizard, I think I have seen that at CVS.
And I literally go to walmart once a year because that is one of the only options in Kauai for certain things. So it would be great if I could pick up some sunscreen there but I don't really have high hopes for their selection.

Tondi G
05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
it makes my head spin too. I usually just end up falling back to California Baby cause I can buy it at Target and I know it is pretty safe and keeps my kids from getting burned.... sure they look a little pasty but what can you do? Between that and the rashguard shirts we are pretty covered.

TwinFoxes
05-31-2011, 12:31 PM
As the OP of that thread, my head is spinning too. Like TondiG, my fall back is CA Baby because you can get it easily. I do see some of the brands people recommended at WF and Wegmans (a local grocery chain that doesn't have a So Cal equivalent...closest comparison would be a Gelson's on steroids).

infomama
05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I buy Vanicream from www.coolibar.com (http://www.coolibar.com) I found a code ("parents") that should take 15% off. I usually buy 7-10 tubes once a year.
Looks like they also sell (among others) Badger and Blue Lizard.

wendibird22
05-31-2011, 12:56 PM
I bought 2 tubes of Alba at my Wegmans in the health food/organic section on sale for $3 each. That seems to rate pretty well on EW.

AnnieW625
05-31-2011, 01:15 PM
I totally hear you on this.

I got Johnson & Johnson No More Tears SPF 40 at Target. I believe I have also seen it at the Target on 17th & Grand too. It's $8 or $9 IIRC. It's a little thick, but not unmanagable at all.

Aveeno also has an all physical block out now too. Blue Lizard is available at CVS. My DH likes the Johnson & Johnson NMT more than the Blue Lizard, although he really likes the non thick Neutrogena Pure Touch (?) sun block (that I am sure is a 7+ on EWG) or the Up & Up SPF 30 Spray (which EWG hasn't rated, another reason I don't sing their praises is that they don't include all major brands).

Don't even bother trying to get a hold of Purple Prairie until December now that it's made the list again. I love supporting small companies but they really need to work on their supply chain now that this stuff is going to be on the list year after year they need to make more of it.

Alba is available at Sprouts or Mothers, and should also be at Whole Foods. I think I have seen Badger there too, but I have heard that is really thick.

I also really like Cellex C SPF 30 (never tried the waterproof one) and I get that from whoever is selling it cheapest online, just do a search.and I believe beauty.com also carry it. It's not nearly as thick as some of the others, but it is usually around $25 (even though full retail is $35 or $40).

brittone2
05-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Target, WFs, Frontier. Sometimes a co-op (in the past I've gotten good deals this way). I ordered Purple Prairie off some website last year.

Melaine
05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Oh gosh. I just checked one I bought at Target....and it's a 7! It's kiss my face sunswat.

elektra
05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
I totally hear you on this.

I got Johnson & Johnson No More Tears SPF 40 at Target. I believe I have also seen it at the Target on 17th & Grand too. It's $8 or $9 IIRC. It's a little thick, but not unmanagable at all.

Aveeno also has an all physical block out now too. Blue Lizard is available at CVS. My DH likes the Johnson & Johnson NMT more than the Blue Lizard, although he really likes the non thick Neutrogena Pure Touch (?) sun block (that I am sure is a 7+ on EWG) or the Up & Up SPF 30 Spray (which EWG hasn't rated, another reason I don't sing their praises is that they don't include all major brands).

Don't even bother trying to get a hold of Purple Prairie until December now that it's made the list again. I love supporting small companies but they really need to work on their supply chain now that this stuff is going to be on the list year after year they need to make more of it.

Alba is available at Sprouts or Mothers, and should also be at Whole Foods. I think I have seen Badger there too, but I have heard that is really thick.

I also really like Cellex C SPF 30 (never tried the waterproof one) and I get that from whoever is selling it cheapest online, just do a search.and I believe beauty.com also carry it. It's not nearly as thick as some of the others, but it is usually around $25 (even though full retail is $35 or $40).

Thanks Annie. Hoping to find some Badger at Sprouts now!
I did place that Amazon order for the Purple Prairie too. We'll see if it ever gets here. ;)

AnnieW625
05-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks Annie. Hoping to find some Badger at Sprouts now!
I did place that Amazon order for the Purple Prairie too. We'll see if it ever gets here. ;)

Cool, I didn't even think to check Amazon for the Purple Prairie. I owe you a PM.

Melaine
05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
I really love sprays....are there no good sprays? What do you stick with from skin deep site....2 or 3 or do you try to find a 1?

elektra
05-31-2011, 01:44 PM
I really love sprays....are there no good sprays? What do you stick with from skin deep site....2 or 3 or do you try to find a 1?

I did see a spray that had a good rating, per safemama.com. It was the KidSport by All Terrain, but I could not find it available anywhere. (It had a picture of Phineas and Ferb on the front.)

lhafer
05-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Oh gosh. I just checked one I bought at Target....and it's a 7! It's kiss my face sunswat.

Okay, I thought Neutrogena was good. that's what I have been buying. What's this list? Are they sunscreen ratings?? Can please someone post it or PM me?

Melaine
05-31-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm assuming everyone is talking about skin deep. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

kaharris83
05-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Okay, I thought Neutrogena was good. that's what I have been buying. What's this list? Are they sunscreen ratings?? Can please someone post it or PM me?

http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/sunscreen/

Here's one list.

willow33
05-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Well after reading all this info I just bought some Purple Prairie off of their website. I'm going to try the lotion and the stick and will report back :)

kaharris83
05-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Something to think about regarding EWG's safe sunscreen list:
http://safemama.com/2011/05/26/ewgs-sunscreen-report-helpful-or-harmful/

brittone2
05-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Something to think about regarding EWG's safe sunscreen list:
http://safemama.com/2011/05/26/ewgs-sunscreen-report-helpful-or-harmful/
Yep, I don't think it is wise to rely on just the score. But it feels overwhelming to some people if they feel they need to learn about individual ingredients, etc. and then they just shut down. I think EWG provides a valuable service...not the be=all, end-all, but certainly a good starting point for people who would otherwise feel like they had no idea what to buy, kwim?

SkyrMommy
05-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the links to the safemamas and skindeep sites... I've just started to have enough warm weather and sunshine here to worry about sunscreen and am totally overwhelmed.

lhafer
05-31-2011, 02:05 PM
http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/sunscreen/

Here's one list.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered some Badger sunscreen instead.

kaharris83
05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Yep, I don't think it is wise to rely on just the score. But it feels overwhelming to some people if they feel they need to learn about individual ingredients, etc. and then they just shut down. I think EWG provides a valuable service...not the be=all, end-all, but certainly a good starting point for people who would otherwise feel like they had no idea what to buy, kwim?

I totally agree. I feel overwhelmed by it all too. And everyday there's more and more information on what is harmful, it's hard not to be overwhelmed.

Gena
05-31-2011, 02:19 PM
I totally agree. I feel overwhelmed by it all too. And everyday there's more and more information on what is harmful, it's hard not to be overwhelmed.

I completely agree. I worry about sunscreen a lot. DS has albinism, so his skin simply does not make pigment. That puts him at high risk for sunburn and other skin damage.

It's so confusing when one place says one thing and another says something else. And then I look at the prices of some of these "good" sunscreens (which another source says may not really be really good) and I can't believe what they cost for a tiny little tube.:47:

I mean some of these are like $12-15 for a 3oz or 4oz tube. Some are more. Considering that the American Academy of Dermatology recommends using 1 full oz for a single application, that 3 or 4 oz tube is only gonna last a couple of days. That's a lot of money on our already limited budget.

Melaine
05-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Yep, I don't think it is wise to rely on just the score. But it feels overwhelming to some people if they feel they need to learn about individual ingredients, etc. and then they just shut down.

"Shut down" is exactly how I feel about this right now. There are just too many things to look into and examine. I just don't have the emotional strength to put every single product in our home under the magnifying glass and launch an intensify internet search. I just need the facts. I don't have time to learn about the dangers of each ingredient (and frankly, I don't want to). I just wish parenting wasn't becoming increasingly more complicated with each passing year.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=All+terrain+30+spray&x=0&y=0

For the safe spray. I tried it last week after Safe Mama's sheet came out and like it, works and NO whiteness!

sunshine873
05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
I have also seen this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036B8S1I/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0030UGP92&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HWQQ3JXMYDGJQSZWAJW at Target and my grocery store which is well reviewed by the BBB mommas.

I bought this (the Johnson & Johnson) on Amazon mom after reading reviews here. It is a "2" on the EWG database and so far it seems to work pretty well. When I first started putting it on her, I thought it was going to leave her with that ghost/blue tint, but it rubbed in well. We haven't been swimming with it yet...that'll come in a week or so, but I have no reason to think I won't like it. I got 4 tubes in the Amazon shipment & keep one in her room, one in our front closet & one in each diaper bag. Convenient! :)

MMMommy
05-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Whole Foods had a couple of the "good" ones, I think.

SpaceGal
05-31-2011, 02:52 PM
I've bought Alba at Wegmans here for about $3-4. I also found Vanicream on diapers.com
and the medco health store. We don't go through sunblock that much so a tube last us about two summers...we're in the northeast. We also have the kids wear rashguards and what not. I know Target has California baby as well.

TwinFoxes
05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=All+terrain+30+spray&x=0&y=0

For the safe spray. I tried it last week after Safe Mama's sheet came out and like it, works and NO whiteness!

I just ordered some. I'm glad to hear no whiteness! And spray is an added bonus.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I just ordered some. I'm glad to hear no whiteness! And spray is an added bonus.

And it is moisturizing, so good for dry skin and eczema. We like it so much we bought more!

elektra
05-31-2011, 03:55 PM

Just ordered some of this too! For whatever reason, when I tried to order it last night, it had the whole 2-3 week wait. Looks like it should arrive next week now hopefully.

I also just found Badger and Alba at my Sprouts! I bought both.
And my purple prairie is on the way.

The Alba did not make the cheat sheet from safemama.com but it was on the "almost but no cigar" list. And I decided to try it since it will be nice to have something to buy at the store vs. ordering online. The Alba costs the same amount as what the shipping was for Purple Prairie!

Looks like I have 4 new options to test. :)

trales
05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I buy 7 -10 tubes of vanicream on drugstore.com. I love the way it spreads. I also had kiss my face, which did great last year and not good this year.

We will stick with vanicream.

curiousgeorge
05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
We have had good luck with the California Baby sunscreen. It doesn't make my little guy too white, and kept him from getting burned at the beach and pool all summer long.

Right now all sunscreen is buy one get one half off at Babies R Us. I am not a fan of BRU, but this makes the sunscreen a good deal if you buy two tubes of it.

gatorsmom
05-31-2011, 04:19 PM
I love the California baby stick- compact, lasts in the water and easy to apply.

I also am a big fan of Vanicream Sport 35.

Both got good ratings on the Skin Deep database and you can get both at Target. You can also get the Vanicream from Walgreens. If they dont' have it, they can order it for you to pick up.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/387717/Vanicream_Sunscreen_Sport%2C_SPF_35/

ETA: I've yet to find a healthy spray sunscreen. :(

MontrealMum
05-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Just wanted to 2nd the rec for Coolibar for safe sunscreens. Last year it was the only place that had what I was looking for. Also, for those in the Midwest, you can usually find Blue Lizard at Meijer's of all places. They carry Alba products too, but I don't know about the sunscreen.

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Well, people around here might not care about extended rear facing but they care about sunscreens. 2 Targets are totally picked over on CA Baby.

Thanks for that spray recommendation! I bought some.

Beth

o_mom
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Just wanted to 2nd the rec for Coolibar for safe sunscreens. Last year it was the only place that had what I was looking for. Also, for those in the Midwest, you can usually find Blue Lizard at Meijer's of all places. They carry Alba products too, but I don't know about the sunscreen.

Meijer and Kroger had Alba sunscreens last year, but I haven't found them there this year.

kms00
05-31-2011, 06:20 PM
I just saw in the Costco magazine that they have a 4 pack of the All-Terrain for $27.99, only at costco.com. It includes 1 sun lotion, 1 sun spray, 1 sunburn gel, and 1 insect repellent. I am not sure if this is a good price or if the other things are good though. Hopefully someone will know.

bekahjean
06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Well, I just dropped almost $50 on sunscreen. DH is not going to believe me when I tell him! :shake: It's frustrating to have to spend so much, but our whole family is very fair skinned and I think this is one thing that I don't have to scrimp or save on.

I am going to try the Purple Prairie lotion and stick, as well as their deodorant and bug spray. I'm always looking for a good natural deodorant, but I haven't found one I really like yet.

I also ordered the AllTerrain Kidsport spray from Amazon. It says it has a 2-4 week wait, but I'm hoping it won't take that long.

There is really nowhere local to shop for sunscreen - No Target, CVS, Meijer, or Wegmans. (Heavens, but I miss Wegmans!!) I'm hoping that Purple Prairie ships quickly, because it's supposed to be 95+ for the next week and we need to get to the pool! :)

Tondi G
06-01-2011, 12:51 PM
I just saw in the Costco magazine that they have a 4 pack of the All-Terrain for $27.99, only at costco.com. It includes 1 sun lotion, 1 sun spray, 1 sunburn gel, and 1 insect repellent. I am not sure if this is a good price or if the other things are good though. Hopefully someone will know.

sounds like a pretty good deal if you will use the burn gel and the insect repellant... on their website the spray sunscreen is 12.99 alone

http://www.allterrainco.com/ecommerce/natural-oxybenzone-free-sunscreens/3-oz-kidsport-spf30-sunscreen-spray.html

essnce629
06-02-2011, 06:48 AM
We use the Purple Prairie sunscreen lotion and sunstick and I really like both. I just ordered the All Terrain spray though for DS1 to use on his own at summer camp. Hope it's good!

Melbel
06-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Vanicream has worked great for us and is less expensive than many of the other options. It is available behind the pharmacy counter at Target.

HonoluluMom
06-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Is this something that I could spray on DD's scalp? She doesn't like to wear a hat at the pool/beach, so I've been looking for a micro spray type sunscreen for her scalp.

I've bought some Kinesys fragrance free spf 30 (rated 3 on EWG) that says it's a micro spray. I haven't tried it yet, but it costs $20 and I would like something cheaper.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Is this something that I could spray on DD's scalp? She doesn't like to wear a hat at the pool/beach, so I've been looking for a micro spray type sunscreen for her scalp.

I've bought some Kinesys fragrance free spf 30 (rated 3 on EWG) that says it's a micro spray. I haven't tried it yet, but it costs $20 and I would like something cheaper.

It isn't a fine mist, so I spray it on my hand and put it on Bumbee's part. It is a lotion spray. Comes out white but blends well. And you can feel the oiliness, but it sinks in well. I hope this makes sense. :shrug:

elektra
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Vanicream has worked great for us and is less expensive than many of the other options. It is available behind the pharmacy counter at Target.

Just checked and my CVS also carries Vanicream behind the pharmacy counter. Thanks for that info.

lil_acorn
06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I just went to drugstore.com and bought some Blue lizard sensitive. it is 10% off, bought 3 to get free shipping + 7% back from fatwallet.

mypa
06-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Many of the sunscreens mentioned here are sold on www.medcohealthstore.com

Here is a promo code 10MHS30 for $10 off $30 purchase (before discount). Shipping is $0.99 per order.

I was able to use the code multiple times, don't know when it expires.

DrSally
06-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I've gotten Blue Lizard at drugstore.com (a big bottle, CVS sells a smaller tube) and Badger at my local organic food store.

Lisa, did you find the vanicream at Target behind the pharmacy counter? I thought I had seen it out on the endcap last year, but now i don't see it out anymore. I'd like to try that for my face.

I'd also like to try the purple prairie.

kochh2
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I also picked up Lizard at the drugstore, but we just finished that tube... so then i went to a local health food store and bought beyond coastal kids. I like it. it rubs in very well, except my eyebrows, but i can easily fix that with a dab of water...

wimama
06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
We used Alba all last summer for DS and liked it.

lizzywednesday
06-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I used Lavanila Baby Block for DD last summer with the Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby stick for her face.

The thing that Skin Deep dislikes most about the P&F Baby cream is its SPF - they feel that the listed SPF of 60 is misleading.

Similar in price-point & ingredients (but rated a lot better on Skin Deep because it's got a lower listed SPF) is Aveeno Natural Baby, which is what I'm using on DD this summer. Yes, she looks pasty, but it works!

FWIW, I've seen Coppertone brand mineral block at the regular grocery store. I didn't check it against SkinDeep, but I felt better about it than the spray stuff my DH uses. (The spray-on stuff is for DH because if we don't get it, he doesn't use sunscreen. He doesn't like the feeling of the cream on his hands; me, I just remember getting bad burns, so I'll use pretty much anything.)

IF you really want to go all-natural, the other folks up-thread have given you some other great options. Good luck!