PDA

View Full Version : Do you hold your DC bday parties well after their actual bdays?

HIU8
05-31-2011, 01:35 PM
My friend has 2 DC born in the winter (same month). She never gets it together to have a bday party for them close to their actual bdays (it's always a joint party so she only has to plan once--they are 3 yrs apart). She scheduled a party for next weekend, 4 months later. This is not an unusual for her. She always does this (can't have a party at home, always looking for a bargain- so it takes more time, etc... Then she feels bad b/c her kids are winter bdays and can't have a bday outside). I have to say, I'm sort of annoyed that she does this. We are forced to acknowledge their bdays in the winter and then she does party now. I think she expects us to again give a gift (she talks about the presents they will receive). Anyway, if you do a bday party, do you wait for better weather or do it close to their actual bday?

egoldber
05-31-2011, 01:38 PM
I know that some people with birthdays near Christmas will do half birthday parties. This is not uncommon.

This past year due to a series of circumstances, we had older DD's birthday party about 7 weeks after her actual birthday. We had a small, family gathering on her actual birthday. But I certainly would never expect someone to give two presents!

rlu
05-31-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd just do a card this time.

DS has a spring birthday often around Easter so we have delayed a week or so to avoid Easter weekend, but not more than that.

eta: we have had outdoor parties, iffy due to rain, with a "rain-out" location (our house) noted on the invite.

BabbyO
05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
I know that some people with birthdays near Christmas will do half birthday parties. This is not uncommon.

This past year due to a series of circumstances, we had older DD's birthday party about 7 weeks after her actual birthday. We had a small, family gathering on her actual birthday. But I certainly would never expect someone to give two presents!

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

My brother's birthday is 2 days after Christmas so I can think of a couple times where my mom had his party in the summer so that the kids could do outdoor activities. But in those instances we had a small family get together near his birthday (our immediate family and my grandma, usually) where we gave our gifts and had cake. Then in the summer the party was just friends and they were the only ones who gave gifts. I don't even know if my parents gave him a gift then, and if they did it was only one.

I think most reasonable people would not expect gifts twice for the same birthday.

HIU8
05-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Their bdays are not near Christmas (I know some people do that). I do think that b/c of the type of party it is that my friend expects another gift from us. I'm planning on speaking with her tonight (and I'm blunt about stuff so we will see how it goes). I guess I sort of think that within 8 weeks is what I consider the norm. 16 weeks makes me feel like why bother at this point. It's WAY past their bdays and it's not their half bdays.

gatorsmom
05-31-2011, 01:46 PM
The twins were born in November and with the chaos of the holidays, it's hard for family to come to their birthday parties then. So, we usually have their birthday parties end of January or beginning of February. However, this worked for us before because the twins were too little to know or care. Now that they are getting older the are more conscious of birthdays and what they mean so I'm not sure I'll get away with that.

I never expected anyone to give gifts on their actual birthday AND the day of their party. I can understand that you'd be annoyed a bit.

willow33
05-31-2011, 01:49 PM
DS1's birthday is in mid-Feb and DS2's birthday is in late April. We had a joint bday party for them last month so that we could have the 25+ boys playing outside and not in my house :) I don't think it's strange to have a party later, but I would never expect gifts and certainly not from someone that already acknowledged their birthdays!

HIU8
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
My DS's bday is literally Thanksgiving weekend. Each year it falls on one of the 4 days of that weekend. We, like others whose bdays are close to major holidays, do hold parties before or after the holiday (I normally do 1 week prior or up to 2 weeks after--it has always just worked out that way for us). Like I said, I'm talking to this friend tonight. We cannot come to the 2nd half the party b/c of a prior commitment also (that we have had for about 2 months--well before she planned this party). Second half of the party is pizza and cake in a separate location that you have to drive to. This may belong in the bitching post. I guess I'm more annoyed than I thought.

Giantbear
05-31-2011, 02:41 PM
we are celebrating dd birthday a week late so as to avoid the memorial day weekend, but i don't think we would hold it more than a week or two later unless their was a very unusual circumstance