PDA

View Full Version : DF is having twins, how can I help?

BabyBearsMom
05-31-2011, 02:35 PM
One of my dearest friends is pg with twins :cheerleader1: She is due in December and asked for my help with picking baby stuff. As the momma of a singleton, I have tons of baby advice, but nothing all that useful for what to do with two. Any things I should make sure she knows? Also, any advice on what to buy two of and what to make do with just 1? TIA!!

twowhat?
05-31-2011, 03:20 PM
For the first year or so there isn't really a whole lot that you need 2 of:

2 car seats
2 cribs and/or bassinets/P&Ps depending on where babies will sleep. We found that having 2 P&Ps was useful not just for sleeping, but for a couple of safe locations to put a baby down. But for a while, they shared a bassinet.
2 places to change babies if in a multi-story home
2 high chairs/boosters (the FP healthy care booster is a great choice if she doesn't plan on starting solids until babies are sitting up well on their own). Others love the Tripp Trapp. We personally used the IKEA high chairs but the FP boosters are more portable and have most of the same features (easy to wipe down).
2 boppies were useful for us when babies were learning to sit up - they could sit in the boppy and not crack their heads if they fell backwards. I used a twin nursing pillow for breastfeeding.
2 diaper bags were useful for us - we kept one fully packed in each car. Others I know have a "short errands" diaper bag and a "day-long outing" diaper bag.
2 wraps or carriers. Both she and DH can carry a baby when out running errands, etc. I know wearing a baby isn't for everyone, so I'd count this as an "optional", since you can simply use your stroller, but for us it was sooo essential!! And nice for outings when babies want to walk for a little but then get tired - the stroller ended up being like a 3rd child that we had to keep track of and having a good carrier meant we didn't have to schlep along a stroller.
Get 1 bouncy seat and 1 swing - wait until babies arrive to see which is more valuable, then get another of it:)

When they got close to 1 year of age we started buying duplicate toys and clothing (if same gender) because they fought so much and it afforded us a little extra peace.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head!

gatorsmom
05-31-2011, 03:41 PM
I'd offer to arrange a meal schedule for her and then call friends and family and make sure the family has meals coming for the first few weeks out of the hospital. I'd offer to come over and do laundry or buy her a couple of house-cleanings if you know of a reputable housecleaning service. The first 6 months with twins are BRUTAL. She won't need stuff as much as she needs hands to help around the house.

ETA: if there really is something you want to buy her, ask her which infant seats she is going to buy then get her a Double Snap N Go stroller with a couple of packets of these: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=stroller+hooks&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGHP_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14524890514122856549&sa=X&ei=ykTlTf63HcHb0QGi5vGxBw&ved=0CDQQ8wIwAQ# It was the only way I could get out of the house with infant twins. Most of the time I just wanted to get to Target to pick up diapers. The Double SNG stroller has a huge basket underneath that can fit a big box of diapers in it! Plus the stroller hooks allow you to hang other purchases off the side.

twowhat?
05-31-2011, 03:46 PM
I'd offer to arrange a meal schedule for her and then call friends and family and make sure the family has meals coming for the first few weeks out of the hospital. I'd offer to come over and do laundry or buy her a couple of house-cleanings if you know of a reputable housecleaning service. The first 6 months with twins are BRUTAL. She won't need stuff as much as she needs hands to help around the house.

:yeahthat: if you want to help, this would definitely be the most valuable. Meals, especially. And if she's BFing, she's going to REALLY have to eat.