PDA

View Full Version : 80 Thank you cards done, 15 more to go....

gatorsmom
05-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I HATE HATE HATE writing thank you notes. I'll find every reason in the book to procrastinate. These are for people who gave money when my dad died. I have to write them. I hate that writing these cards forces me to think about dad's death over and over again with each card I write.

The yucky thing is, the 80 I already wrote are for people whose addresses I know. The rest are for people whose addresses I have to search for.

ARGH!!!!!! :banghead: :dizzy:

But, MAN is it going to feel awesome when I'm all done. :boogie: :boogie:

ok, vent over.

AnnieW625
05-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Hugs, and I was complaining that I am a month late on DD1/DD2s combined birthday party thank you notes (I have about 5 more out of 20 left). I'll be thinking about you as I finish mine. Thank you for sending them though, those recipients will always remember that note. You are amazing, and I know that sending out 80 thank you notes for death isn't the easiest thing to do.

happymom
05-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Wow, thats a lot of cards to write! About the addresses, have you tried searching on www.whitepages.com (http://www.whitepages.com)? Its usually quick and easy. Certainly a lot easier than the days when we had to look through phonebooks!

:hug:

elektra
05-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Can I pay you to do mine?

JoyNChrist
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Ugh. I hate writing thank you cards, even for happy occasions (so in your case it's super sucky). Treat yourself when you're done!

DebbieJ
06-01-2011, 12:18 AM
I was just talking with friends last night who are in thank you night hell after their daughter's death earlier this month. They have already written out ~200.

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE who gave money is expecting a thank you note from you. SERIOUSLY.

sariana
06-01-2011, 01:33 AM
NO ONE and I mean NO ONE who gave money is expecting a thank you note from you. SERIOUSLY.

:yeahthat:

You're awesome for writing them, but there really is no need.

MoJo
06-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Too late to help Lisa, but for any others who may encounter this:

Several years ago an acquaintance lost her son. She created thank you cards and had them made up, just like people make Christmas cards or birthday invitations. They featured a picture of her son. They felt very personal (and yes, I still remember it years later) but they saved her from having to write out every one. I'd definitely recommend that route to anyone who has a bunch to send after a loss.

Hope you can find your addresses quickly! My suggestion for that is anywho.com.

Melaine
06-01-2011, 07:55 AM
I feel like I am about to ask a totally inappropriate question, but I don't mean to be rude in any way, I'm honestly just curious.

I have never, ever heard of anyone giving money at a death...can someone explain this to me? Is this regional? Here people send flowers or maybe bring food over to the family.

ciw
06-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I feel like I am about to ask a totally inappropriate question, but I don't mean to be rude in any way, I'm honestly just curious.

I have never, ever heard of anyone giving money at a death...can someone explain this to me? Is this regional? Here people send flowers or maybe bring food over to the family.

Here, people often ask for monetary donations to a favorite charity in lieu of flowers after a death.

Good luck, OP. That's a lot of thank-you cards!

gatorsmom
06-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Money given to the family is meant to help the family pay for the funeral and the luncheon served afterwards. It's really common here. My dad's funeral was pretty much average from what I've seen and his cost about $12,000. The funeral home we used said that cremation is even more expensive even though they have their own crematorium. In our case, we did request donations be made to the American Cancer Society in lieu of gifts, but I still did get a fair amount of cash. Which I then donated to the ACS in my dad's name.

Most of the people who gave money gave about $20 which is a pretty big amount for most of these people who are either blue collar factory workers or small farmers. So, i really felt the need to acknowledge their gifts. That's why I wrote out the cards.

I got the cards done! The boys just helped me stamp them. Intrestingly enough, after calling family and friends, I managed to get an address for everyone who donated. At one point, I called Information for a name that didn't show up online and there was only one family with that last name in the area but different first names. I called them, explained the situation, and it turns out they knew some distant relatives of mine! The very nice lady then gave me the address I was looking for who turned out to be her BIL and is unlisted.

Thanks for all the support everyone! Off to the Post office I go!