PDA

View Full Version : Gift idea for male HS Graduate?

artvandalay
05-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Looking for a gift for my neighbor's son. He's a really nice kid. His family is new to the area, so they are not having a party for him. I'd like to get him a little something and wanted to give him something a little more personal than cash. Any ideas?

TwinFoxes
05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd like to get him a little something and wanted to give him something a little more personal than cash. Any ideas?

Cash and a nice note? :) Seriously, the first thing I thought was "cash".

DietCokeLover
05-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Is he going away to college? A fun gift is a laundry basket, a bottle of detergent, and a couple rolls of quarters.

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Alas, they don't need quarters any more. :)

I'd go cash too. That's really what they want, I think.

Beth

AnnieW625
05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
I did a Barnes & Noble gift card because that where his university had their online book store too. I'd do that or cash.

DietCokeLover
05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Alas, they don't need quarters any more. :)

I'd go cash too. That's really what they want, I think.

Beth

Really? Laundramats don't take quarters anymore? Did I just age myself?

wendmatt
05-31-2011, 05:07 PM

That's what I thought! DHs nephew is graduating this weekend and we're giving him cash, I know his mum will get all the essentials and I know he'll want cash :)

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Really? Laundramats don't take quarters anymore? Did I just age myself?

I don't know about laundromats but on campus ones use their ID cards (or similar) that get loaded up with money. Swipe it in the washing machine and you are set. My SIL just graduated from college and I embarrassed myself on that quarter thing a few years back. :) I should have known though b/c my last year of college they had gone to the debit card type system.

belovedgandp
05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Only because I kind of knew the kid, we just gave him a portable grill. He's going to a big football school so it will be good for tailgating; he's living in an apartment and he does a lot of grilling already for his mom.

misshollygolightly
05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
How about an Itunes gift card or a gift card to his university's bookstore? Or a gas card if he'll be taking his car? It's not really a "cool" gift, but a set of towels in the school colors (or in a nice neutral) would probably be helpful--especially if you included at least one large "bath sheet" or oversized towel.

zag95
05-31-2011, 06:54 PM
How about a t-shirt or sweatshirt or baseball cap to the university he'll be attending? That is a cool gift! Something for his dorm room might be neat too- like a care kit (food, snacks. laundry stuff, etc)

traciann
05-31-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't know about laundromats but on campus ones use their ID cards (or similar) that get loaded up with money. Swipe it in the washing machine and you are set. My SIL just graduated from college and I embarrassed myself on that quarter thing a few years back. :) I should have known though b/c my last year of college they had gone to the debit card type system.

well...you could still put those quarters towards their student card. I think its a fun idea. I also like the Saltwater Canvas shower bags filled with essentials. I have heard they are great for dorms.

artvandalay
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I think I will get him a baseball cap to the university he's going to and cash.

DebbieJ
06-02-2011, 10:28 PM

:yeahthat:

Jen841
06-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I received a laundry bag with instructions on it. My standard is the BIGGEST laundry bag I can find (so they can bring it home) and $.