PDA

View Full Version : htc thunderbolt vs. iphone, help me decide

neeleymartin
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
please help me compare:

i like the htc b/c it's a mobile hotspot. great for traveling with laptop and other devices.

but, can i use itunes with the htc or is that only for the iphone? how about apps from itunes?

i currently have an ipod touch and a separate cell, i would love to combine the two devices so i would only need one.

can i play music through the aux jack, just like on my ipod?

if it helps to know i have verizon, although i don't think that matters. these may seem like dumb questions, but i am living in the dark ages. i have a flip phone, i don't text and we only just got rid of dial up internet a few months ago. talk slowly!!:hysterical:

TwoBees
06-01-2011, 12:10 PM
please help me compare:

i like the htc b/c it's a mobile hotspot. great for traveling with laptop and other devices.

but, can i use itunes with the htc or is that only for the iphone? how about apps from itunes?

i currently have an ipod touch and a separate cell, i would love to combine the two devices so i would only need one.

if it helps to know i have verizon, although i don't think that matters. these may seem like dumb questions, but i am living in the dark ages. i have a flip phone, i don't text and we only just got rid of dial up internet a few months ago. talk slowly!!:hysterical:

DH has the TBolt. I had the iPhone and returned it for the Incredible 2. First off, you should know that the TBolt's 4G takes a HUGE toll on the battery. DH can run through his battery in just a few hours if he is fully on 4G, or if his phone is searching for 4G (we're right on the cusp of the 4G boundary). If there is no 4G in your area yet, this won't matter. Or you can download an app to turn off the 4G except when you need it.

You cannot use iTunes with an android phone. You can, however, use other music programs, but you would have to load all of your music onto that new program on your computer because (unless things have changed), iTunes rips music into its own format which is not compatible with other music players such as Windows Media player.

The TBolt is a big phone. Just saying.

Verizon will most likely charge for hot spot use eventually. It might not always be free, there might be a monthly fee and/or a data cap.

If you are not very tech saavy and want to be able to use your iTunes, go for the iPhone. The user interface is incredibly easy to navigate.

If you want an Android but not the TBolt, look into the Incredible 2(no 4G but can also be used as a hot spot, I think), or the Samsung Fascinate (no 4G, don't know about hotspot capability).

ETA: Your iTunes apps cannot be transfered to an Android phone. However you will be able to use them (or at least most of them) on the iPhone.

BillK
06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Don't get a TBolt. If you want a VZW non-iPhone - get a Samsung Droid Charge or the new LG Revolution if you are in a 4G area that VZW has turned on.

The Tbolt was rushed out so VZW had a 4G device and it's sort of a mess - even months after release.

The VZW iPhone also has mobile hotspot. Keep in mind you gotta pay for it at $20/mo over and above everything else whether it's an iPhone or Android phone.

Iphone uses iTunes/App Store.

Android phones use the Android Market. You CAN use Doubletwist (free download) to convert/transfer your iTunes music library over to your Android device though.

You can't swap between the Apple App Store and Android market though - however "most" iTunes apps are also on the Android Market.

Yes any phone with a jack will allow you to use earbuds to listen to music.

Penny's Pappa
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
please help me compare:

The Verizon iPhone 4 is also a mobile hotspot. It requires you to purchase a separate data tethering package, however. I imagine the Thunderbolt would require the same.

No. iTunes is only for Apple products, though I imagine someone has worked out an app or program to transfer your iTunes library onto an Android device.

Apps from the App Store (Apple) will only work on the iPhone. Apps for the Thunderbolt would have to come from the Android Market or wherever else one gets Android apps. Fortunately, many of the more popular apps are available from either store.

The iPhone is basically an iPod as well -- and a damned good one. This kind of combination is seamless and was one of the big reasons I went with an iPhone for myself.

I don't know, but I imagine so.

Penny's Pappa
06-01-2011, 12:19 PM
You can, however, use other music programs, but you would have to load all of your music onto that new program on your computer because (unless things have changed), iTunes rips music into its own format which is not compatible with other music players such as Windows Media player.

This is a setting within iTunes. You just have to change it so that iTunes will rip to mp3 instead.

scrooks
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I have an iPhone, which I love. Dh looked into the thunderbolt but got the incredible two droid this past weekend. So far he likes it....I don't think everything is as smooth and as intuitive as on my iPhone but it's his phone...not mine:D. I thought the mobile hotspot feature did have a fee associated with it. My dad has a palm thats a year or so old he uses as a mobile hotspot and he bought the phone specifically because that hotspot feature was being offered for free on that specific phone.

TwoBees
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
This is a setting within iTunes. You just have to change it so that iTunes will rip to mp3 instead.

Ah! I didn't know that. Unfortunately all my music is ripped to "iTunes format" since I had my iPod and ripped my CDs long before I had a phone capable of playing music.

TwoBees
06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I should add that despite its bugs, DH loves his TBolt. He's also tethered to some sort of power source most of the day, so the battery life isn't an issue for him. And it does what he needs it to do--make calls, surf the internet, and play YouTube videos for my daughter occasionally.

amldaley
06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
DH and my "BFF" both have the Thunderbolt and love them. Friend got one that had bugs and they sent her a new one, did a factory reset etc and now it has been problem free for 2 months. They both are CRAZY for their phones. DH has never had a "relationship" with a phone until now. He & his Thunderbolt really have something going on. It is a real love connection.

I had an iPhone and switched to a Droid X. I actually needed a phone to be a PHONE and the sound quality on iPhones is terrible, especially on speaker phone.

The reason I did not get a Thunderbolt is b/c I have little hands. Have you held that thing? It is HUGE. And heavy! All those features come in a not so tiny package!

As for Apps...there are more free apps for Droid now than Apple - anything you need is there and most likely most of what you want.

arivecchi
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Just got an iphone 4 for DH and much prefer my Droid X. Go to the store and check them all out in person. I am in love with my huge screen and there seem to be much better accessories for my phone than for the iphone. I had a heck of a time finding a decent car charger for my DH's iphone on Amazon.

For the PP who has battery issues. I bought a separate battery and battery charger and just carry the extra battery with me. Battery issue solved!

neeleymartin
06-01-2011, 09:19 PM
okay, so as the day has progressed, i think that a hotspot is not really important to me. i will have the phone with internet, what more could i need?

the battery life doesn't matter to me. i will be near a power source most of the time.

i am interested in anyone commenting on netflix and the ability to view netflix on my tv, through the htc?!? can you do that?

also, what happens with all my apps? do i need to rebuy or download? i think yes is the answer.

as far an my music, can i change the format of it in itunes (rip to mp3??? eek) or do i need to do something else? the music is really the most important feature to me. i want a phone and music player in one. i know i will think of more as i stew with this. please keep checking back for my dumb questions. thanks.

larig
06-01-2011, 11:21 PM
i will have the phone with internet, what more could i need?

the battery life doesn't matter to me. i will be near a power source most of the time.

i am interested in anyone commenting on netflix and the ability to view netflix on my tv, through the htc?!? can you do that?

also, what happens with all my apps? do i need to rebuy or download? i think yes is the answer.

as far an my music, can i change the format of it in itunes (rip to mp3??? eek) or do i need to do something else? the music is really the most important feature to me. i want a phone and music player in one. i know i will think of more as i stew with this. please keep checking back for my dumb questions. thanks.
1. I agree.

2. You can watch netflix on your tv with an iphone. There are a couple of ways to hook it up--an HD cable, etc.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/netflix_iphone_app_updated_now_streams_to_tv.php

3. If you have an ipod touch you will have the apps (for free) for your phone. You can even just download them from the app store and it will know that you've already purchased it, so it won't bill you again. (Why they don't do this for music is beyond me.)

4. You'll have to do a file conversion from .aac to .mp3-- there are plenty of pieces of software to do that. Just google .aac to .mp3 conversion and include the OS you're running (windows, mac, etc.). Depending on how much music you have, this could take a substantial amount of time. This will also DOUBLE the size of your music library (i.e., because you'll have 2 different files for each song) or it will be similar in size--depending on how you encode your music files. There will also be a degradation in quality of the audio file. You are taking a file that has been compressed once and then you're converting it and compressing again. Every time you do something with the file it loses quality. Just like a photo--e.g., with .jpg every time you edit you are degrading the file. That said, it's debatable whether or not you will perceive the difference when listening. The way around this is to just re-rip them, but that is usually an unrealistic suggestion (I would laugh if someone told me to do that). Then there are the files you purchased from apple. There is DRM protection on those. I'm not up on converting those files, so I can't tell you to what length you need to go to convert those to mp3.

Penny's Pappa
06-01-2011, 11:36 PM
4. You'll have to do a file conversion from .aac to .mp3-- there are plenty of pieces of software to do that. Just google .aac to .mp3 conversion and include the OS you're running (windows, mac, etc.). Depending on how much music you have, this could take a substantial amount of time. This will also DOUBLE the size of your music library (i.e., because you'll have 2 different files for each song) or it will be similar in size--depending on how you encode your music files. There will also be a degradation in quality of the audio file. You are taking a file that has been compressed once and then you're converting it and compressing again. Every time you do something with the file it loses quality. Just like a photo--e.g., with .jpg every time you edit you are degrading the file. That said, it's debatable whether or not you will perceive the difference when listening. The way around this is to just re-rip them, but that is usually an unrealistic suggestion (I would laugh if someone told me to do that). Then there are the files you purchased from apple. There is DRM protection on those. I'm not up on converting those files, so I can't tell you to what length you need to go to convert those to mp3.

This can be done within iTunes.

Go to Edit>>Preferences then hit the "Import Settings" button a little past halfway down. Change the encoder to "mp3" and hit OK till you've closed all the popups. Now select all the songs you want to convert and Right-Click. In the popup menu box should be a "Convert to MP3" option. With this method you can convert between any of the files iTunes supports, and you can even make your own iPhone ringtones, but that's a slightly more complicated process....

Lastly, the iTunes store no longer sells DRM protected songs. Everything, AFAIK, is unprotected and is downloaded as an .m4a file which can be converted to .mp3 via the method I described above. However, if you're like me and you have some older, DRM-protected songs, the only way I've been able to convert them is to burn them onto a CD, then rip them back into iTunes in a non-protected format. It's a PITA but it works.

TwoBees
06-02-2011, 08:25 AM
the music is really the most important feature to me. i want a phone and music player in one.

If this is what you want most, plus you want ease of use and internet accessibility, then I think the best option for you is the iPhone. JMHO.

Penny's Pappa
06-02-2011, 08:36 AM
If this is what you want most, plus you want ease of use and internet accessibility, then I think the best option for you is the iPhone. JMHO.

:yeahthat:

georgiegirl
06-02-2011, 08:42 AM
DH and I are trying to figure out the same thing. I'm strongly leaning towards iPhone partly because of the service available (just go to the apple store if there's a problem), and I feel like the quality is better for iPhones than some of the droid devices that are churned out quickly (we currently have the original droid, which seems so old and slow...and is falling apart). I'd rather have a few less fancy features and a more solid product with better support. But I'm trying to wait until the next iPhone comes out.

neeleymartin
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
this is soo hard. i LOVE that the battery is replaceable in the htc AND that there is an expansion slot for sd card. more memory. i wonder how big of a card i can put in the htc???

boy, i'm more confused now that when i started.

youtube is super important to me, i LOVE it. on my ipod touch, youtube is weird, not like on my computer. search feature isn't there, and it automatically opens what looks like an app when i go there. this is sooo annoying. maybe this is user error. does the same with amazon. not the full featured website i like and am used to . i watched a couple of youtube videos about the htc vs iphone and several mentioned somthing about the viewing of youtube and how it doesn't work the same. this is VERY important to me.

more thoughts?

fortato
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I have the HTC Incredible, and I LOVE it. The Droid marketplace offers so much more for apps, and you can buy them on Amazon... which I love.

BillK
06-02-2011, 12:27 PM
this is soo hard. i LOVE that the battery is replaceable in the htc AND that there is an expansion slot for sd card. more memory. i wonder how big of a card i can put in the htc???

boy, i'm more confused now that when i started.

youtube is super important to me, i LOVE it. on my ipod touch, youtube is weird, not like on my computer. search feature isn't there, and it automatically opens what looks like an app when i go there. this is sooo annoying. maybe this is user error. does the same with amazon. not the full featured website i like and am used to . i watched a couple of youtube videos about the htc vs iphone and several mentioned somthing about the viewing of youtube and how it doesn't work the same. this is VERY important to me.

more thoughts?

PLEASE go check out the Droid Charge and LG Revolution if you're considering an HTC Tbolt. You'll be glad you did. Just read some threads on each one over at Android Central or Phandroid forums - you'll see a lot of unhappy Tbolt owners with lots of funky issues and horrid battery life.

All 3 will accept up to 32gb memory cards.

Penny's Pappa
06-02-2011, 01:19 PM

It's not user error. YouTube videos are in a Flash Video format. Apple's mobile devices are not Flash capable so any website with Flash-based content cannot be displayed on the iPhone/Pod without an app to serve as a workaround. The lack of Flash on Apple's devices has been a source of scorn for Apple in the tech community for some time now. Android-based devices do not have this limitation.

Now with the Amazon site, that's a bit different. Since websites can contain massive amounts of data, and since mobile devices are much smaller than your home computer monitor, many websites have developed pared-down versions of themselves to make it easier for them to be transmitted and displayed on mobile devices. You'll find this happening on either Apple or Android devices. If you navigate down to the bottom of the mobile version's page, you will typically find a link to their full, desktop version.

If the YouTube and Flash capability are really a big issue for you, then an Android device may be the way to go. However, the YouTube app on the iPhone is pretty good; you may want to download that for your iPod Touch before you completely rule it out.

larig
06-02-2011, 03:50 PM
It's not user error. YouTube videos are in a Flash Video format. Apple's mobile devices are not Flash capable so any website with Flash-based content cannot be displayed on the iPhone/Pod without an app to serve as a workaround. The lack of Flash on Apple's devices has been a source of scorn for Apple in the tech community for some time now. Android-based devices do not have this limitation.

Now with the Amazon site, that's a bit different. Since websites can contain massive amounts of data, and since mobile devices are much smaller than your home computer monitor, many websites have developed pared-down versions of themselves to make it easier for them to be transmitted and displayed on mobile devices. You'll find this happening on either Apple or Android devices. If you navigate down to the bottom of the mobile version's page, you will typically find a link to their full, desktop version.

If the YouTube and Flash capability are really a big issue for you, then an Android device may be the way to go. However, the YouTube app on the iPhone is pretty good; you may want to download that for your iPod Touch before you completely rule it out.

Yeah, my iphone came with the youtube app preinstalled, I'd be surprised if you didn't already have it.

And thanks, Penny's Pappa, for clearing up my conversion stuff I posted upthread.

I'd have to agree with Pennyspappa also about the flash thing. If flash is a big deal, then get an android. Although, most sites that are flash heavy that get any amount of traffic likely have an app that will allow you to view their site on an iphone, however. (it doesn't bother me, but then I agree with steve jobs that flash is an awful, crash-inducing scourge).

Picking a phone, I think, is a pretty personal thing. Ultimately you have to decide what your priorities are and which phone does those things best. Trying it out yourself is the only way to see if you will like the way it does things. I'd sure want to try out some of the music players for a droid, and see how I like their UIs (user interfaces) if I were you (considering you said this was a high priority for you).

I also have to disagree with the PP about the android market place vs. the app store. there are not currently more android apps, there may be at some point later, but not now (it is growing more rapidly than the app store--although I think that will ebb and flow as new updates come out, etc.). Check out wikipedia--the app store had roughly 100,000 more as of May 1.

What kind of computer do you use, BTW?

Since you'll likely be stuck with this phone for two years, you want to pick one that you love. Go try them (take pictures, movies, listen to it, etc). What I love about my iphone, you might hate, and what arivecci loves about her droid (size, etc) I would hate (I want a smallish-sized smartphone!)--it's just so personal.

We've had almost every generation of iphone (minus 1--the 3GS--we've got 3), and they're all still working, no cracked screens or problems and one of them has even been DS's for a year (as an ipod touch). I know I won't switch any time soon and we'll be getting an iphone 5 when it comes out this fall.

neeleymartin
06-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, my iphone came with the youtube app preinstalled, I'd be surprised if you didn't already have it.

And thanks, Penny's Pappa, for clearing up my conversion stuff I posted upthread.

I'd have to agree with Pennyspappa also about the flash thing. If flash is a big deal, then get an android. Although, most sites that are flash heavy that get any amount of traffic likely have an app that will allow you to view their site on an iphone, however. (it doesn't bother me, but then I agree with steve jobs that flash is an awful, crash-inducing scourge).

Picking a phone, I think, is a pretty personal thing. Ultimately you have to decide what your priorities are and which phone does those things best. Trying it out yourself is the only way to see if you will like the way it does things. I'd sure want to try out some of the music players for a droid, and see how I like their UIs (user interfaces) if I were you (considering you said this was a high priority for you).

I also have to disagree with the PP about the android market place vs. the app store. there are not currently more android apps, there may be at some point later, but not now (it is growing more rapidly than the app store--although I think that will ebb and flow as new updates come out, etc.). Check out wikipedia--the app store had roughly 100,000 more as of May 1.

What kind of computer do you use, BTW?

Since you'll likely be stuck with this phone for two years, you want to pick one that you love. Go try them (take pictures, movies, listen to it, etc). What I love about my iphone, you might hate, and what arivecci loves about her droid (size, etc) I would hate (I want a smallish-sized smartphone!)--it's just so personal.

We've had almost every generation of iphone (minus 1--the 3GS--we've got 3), and they're all still working, no cracked screens or problems and one of them has even been DS's for a year (as an ipod touch). I know I won't switch any time soon and we'll be getting an iphone 5 when it comes out this fall.

YES!! i just need to get into the verizon store and try it out. this is a brilliant idea. now if i can find the time to do that without the kiddos it will be a miracle.

larig
06-02-2011, 09:17 PM
YES!! i just need to get into the verizon store and try it out. this is a brilliant idea. now if i can find the time to do that without the kiddos it will be a miracle.

I hear you. I have so little time to shop by myself--what a luxury! I'm glad you are going to do this. You'll be much happier. Definitely hold them up like you're going to talk, and do it as long as a normal quick call would be. I once had a phone that I swear made my hand cramp up, it was awful.

TwoBees
06-02-2011, 09:27 PM
OP, I just want to give you a heads-up that some of Verizon's policies have changed. The time period to exchange a phone without penalty has been decreased to 14 days (from 30), and the new-every-two program has been eliminated. If you have a new-every-two credit already on your account, you will be able to use it, but you won't get a new credit after 2 more years (unless they add a new program of course). So just make sure you are certain about which phone you want before you sign on the dotted line.

neeleymartin
06-02-2011, 10:39 PM
OP, I just want to give you a heads-up that some of Verizon's policies have changed. The time period to exchange a phone without penalty has been decreased to 14 days (from 30), and the new-every-two program has been eliminated. If you have a new-every-two credit already on your account, you will be able to use it, but you won't get a new credit after 2 more years (unless they add a new program of course). So just make sure you are certain about which phone you want before you sign on the dotted line.

what is the "new every two"? i am due for an upgrade, but confused.

DebbieJ
06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
what is the "new every two"? i am due for an upgrade, but confused.

They used to give a loyalty credit. I currently have a credit of $50 hanging out in my account for a new phone.

neeleymartin
06-02-2011, 10:59 PM
They used to give a loyalty credit. I currently have a credit of $50 hanging out in my account for a new phone.

i have never had a loyalty credit and MAN have i been loyal. hmmm

neeleymartin
06-02-2011, 11:09 PM
WTF!!!

i just logged into verizon wireless and it says that i am not eligible for an upgrade until january 2013!!!

in the beginning of may my dh went to verizon to buy me an iphone for mother's day. he paid and then realized that they charged him an additional $35 for an upgrade before it was due (which would be may 17th) he decided to wait and returned the phone, seconds after it was rung up.

i will be PISSED if this isn't rectified. i need to wait until the morning b/c verizon is only open until 11pm!!

larig
06-03-2011, 12:17 AM
WTF!!!

i just logged into verizon wireless and it says that i am not eligible for an upgrade until january 2013!!!

in the beginning of may my dh went to verizon to buy me an iphone for mother's day. he paid and then realized that they charged him an additional $35 for an upgrade before it was due (which would be may 17th) he decided to wait and returned the phone, seconds after it was rung up.

i will be PISSED if this isn't rectified. i need to wait until the morning b/c verizon is only open until 11pm!!

oh no!!!

BillK
06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Don't forget the lovely new $375 ETF if you buy a smartphone and decide it's not for you and revert back to a regular phone within 2 years.

I'm really hating all the cell providers anymore - VZW included. They're just greedy - wait until the new 4G tiered data plans roll out later this summer too - another way for VZW to dig a lil deeper into our pockets.

neeleymartin
06-03-2011, 12:18 PM
WTF!!!

called verizon at 7am this am and they were very helpful... they need to contact the local verizon to get it squared away, but they said it would definetely NOT be a problem. it was noted that we didn't take the phone they are waiting on some payment/return thingy...i don't know. dustin (from verizon) will be calling me tomorrow am at 7am to let me know that it's all squared away.

Don't forget the lovely new $375 ETF if you buy a smartphone and decide it's not for you and revert back to a regular phone within 2 years.

I'm really hating all the cell providers anymore - VZW included. They're just greedy - wait until the new 4G tiered data plans roll out later this summer too - another way for VZW to dig a lil deeper into our pockets.

let's hope i LOVE the smartphone...i can't imagine that i won't.

i decide to go with the htc tbolt after taking a closer look at both and trying them out. the bigger size is appealing to me. and later this year(if they know what they are talking about) i will be able to add a 64gb smart card instead of just the 32. that's a great feature as well. that phone is AWESOME!! i can talk and surf simultaneously. sweet feature!!

any further thoughts are always appreciated!!

BillK
06-03-2011, 12:31 PM
i decide to go with the htc tbolt after taking a closer look at both and trying them out. the bigger size is appealing to me. and later this year(if they know what they are talking about) i will be able to add a 64gb smart card instead of just the 32. that's a great feature as well. that phone is AWESOME!! i can talk and surf simultaneously. sweet feature!!

any further thoughts are always appreciated!!

Not to rain on your parade - but unless I'm totally off base - the only simultaneous data/voice VZW phone at the moment is the LG Revolution - and that is only over the 4G LTE network if you are in one of the areas where it's available. Neither the Tbolt or Charge can do that - or any other CDMA phone on the VZW network for that matter.

The 64gb micro SD cards are also like $200 still.

neeleymartin
06-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Not to rain on your parade - but unless I'm totally off base - the only simultaneous data/voice VZW phone at the moment is the LG Revolution - and that is only over the 4G LTE network if you are in one of the areas where it's available. Neither the Tbolt or Charge can do that - or any other CDMA phone on the VZW network for that matter.

oh bill!! i need you with me when they tell unsuspecting me about these features. :D wanna come to the cape for the weekend? :ROTFLMAO:the guy at verizon told me that this was the only phone on verizon that can do this. perhaps i will have him prove it when i go back to buy, after i get this upgrade date squared away. either way, neither of these cool features are deal breakers for me. just things i can brag about.

any info or opinions on warranty? the phone comes with a year (Which i suspects covers defects and not user error) i can get an extended through asurion ($6.99/month, with $100 deductible if phone breaks, but i get a refurbished phone, whic comes with manufacturer 90day warranty) OR global (something) which is $60 upfront for a year and $90 upfront for 2 years (you get a new phone and the deductible is $75, plus the manufacturers warranty will go for an additional year (for defects) if the phone is replaced (b/c the replacement is new).

help me think this through. i think that the global company sounds like a better deal. i am rough on phones (drop them, etc, although they never break...i am lucky), plus i have two little guys, iykwim.

also, would you buy locally or through verizon 800 people?

your thoughts appreciated.

TwoBees
06-03-2011, 12:49 PM

I know this will make your head spin even more, but you CAN surf and talk if you happen to be surfing on a wifi network. But I thought the TBolt could do both on 4G--at least that is what VZW is advertising. But in any case. , Otherwise I believe Bill is correct. I just checked, and Cape Cod, MA does not yet have 4G coverage from verizon so it's a moot point for the OP.

ETA: I did a bit more research. According to CNET, you can talik and surf at the same time over 3G on the tBolt. "
The Android 2.2 smartphone also supports simultaneous voice and data over 3G

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/htc-thunderbolt-review/#ixzz1OEUIY4so"

neeleymartin
06-03-2011, 01:35 PM
just read this on a review:

"I thing the feature that sold me on the phone the most was the speech-to-text feature. Gone are the days of sneaking a text message while in traffic. Now I can speak my message and concentrate on the road instead."

sweet feature!! is this true???

BillK
06-03-2011, 01:53 PM
just read this on a review:

"I thing the feature that sold me on the phone the most was the speech-to-text feature. Gone are the days of sneaking a text message while in traffic. Now I can speak my message and concentrate on the road instead."

sweet feature!! is this true???

Pretty much any Android phone with the Google stuff can do it.

I also stand corrected the TBolt can do simultaneous voice/data on 3G (not on Edge) - and not on 4G.

edit: I still think you should get the LG Revolution or Samsung Droid Charge over the Tbolt though...

neeleymartin
06-03-2011, 02:49 PM
LG Revolution or Samsung Droid Charge over the Tbolt though...

why? did you already tell me? i will scan back through the posts if so. a guy was buying the charge when i was there. tell me more, why is it better?

BillK
06-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Both the LG and Samsung have better battery life than the HTC Tbolt. Both also have less problems as well based on my limited forum browsing. Also the Samsung has a Super AMOLED screen which is supposed to be beautiful.

I think any would do you fine - I just prefer the newer tech is all. Personally I'm holding out until the Samsung Galaxy S2 (or maybe the Motorola Droid Bionic) is released on Verizon then I'll be replacing my Droid X.

neeleymartin
06-05-2011, 09:00 PM
i ended up getting the htc tbolt!! it is awesome!! the battery life is TERRIBLE, as i knew it would be, but this is not an issue to me. i am never anywhere that i can't plug in.

now i am just trying to figure out how to get my music into this thing. all my stuff is on itunes and most is aac. poo!! not sure what to do, considering this was my most important thing!!! oh well. i LOVE the phone. i WILL figure this out.

thanks for all the info. i am so happy with the choice i made.:wavey:

Penny's Pappa
06-05-2011, 10:32 PM
now i am just trying to figure out how to get my music into this thing. all my stuff is on itunes and most is aac. poo!! not sure what to do, considering this was my most important thing!!! oh well. i LOVE the phone. i WILL figure this out.

See my post above (#13 (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3157239&postcount=13)) for instructions on converting AAC files (.m4a) to .mp3 files.

BillK
06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
i ended up getting the htc tbolt!! it is awesome!! the battery life is TERRIBLE, as i knew it would be, but this is not an issue to me. i am never anywhere that i can't plug in.

thanks for all the info. i am so happy with the choice i made.:wavey:

http://doubletwist.com/