PDA

View Full Version : Book for girl hairstyles?

KrisM
06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
DD wants me to make her hair in all sorts of fashions that she thinks up. I can't do most. I was thinking of getting us a book with ideas and instructions so she can pick and I can do. I know there are websites out there, but I'd rather have a book. I found a couple on Amazon and am thinking of getting Cozy's Complete Guide to Girls' Hair (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579654223/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER), but thought I'd ask here first. Have one you like?

ray7694
06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I find everything on youtube.com

bubbaray
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Unless this is something that you really want to do and have the time for, I would just keep saying "I don't know how" and not even get a book. :bag

IMO, doing cute girls hair is something you either can do or can't. I can do pony tails and pig tails, but that is about it. My girls used to ask, but have given up. I can't even French braid.

I can tell you that if I expressed any desire to TRY to do their hair, I would never get out of the house by dinner time. Not kidding. They would be changing their minds, etc. It would be horrible.

KrisM
06-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I find everything on youtube.com

I'm not ready to set her on You Tube looking and she wants to pick it out. I'm not able to because generally I don't know what she's asking for ;).

KrisM
06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Unless this is something that you really want to do and have the time for, I would just keep saying "I don't know how" and not even get a book. :bag

IMO, doing cute girls hair is something you either can do or can't. I can do pony tails and pig tails, but that is about it. My girls used to ask, but have given up. I can't even French braid.

I can tell you that if I expressed any desire to TRY to do their hair, I would never get out of the house by dinner time. Not kidding. They would be changing their minds, etc. It would be horrible.

I can French braid and do other more simple styles. I don't mind learning and trying things out for her. She does her own pony tails and basic braids already, too. I imagine when he's 7 or 8, she'll be doing it all herself.

ellies mom
06-01-2011, 03:30 PM
American Girl (http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/165246/uid/138) has a book about hairstyles but I haven't looked at it too closely.

WatchingThemGrow
06-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I can French braid and do other more simple styles. I don't mind learning and trying things out for her. She does her own pony tails and basic braids already, too. I imagine when he's 7 or 8, she'll be doing it all herself.
REALLY? Wow. I can barely get my DD to brush her own (big) hair. The Tangle Teazer had her interested for a couple weeks, though.

KrisM
06-01-2011, 04:01 PM
REALLY? Wow. I can barely get my DD to brush her own (big) hair. The Tangle Teazer had her interested for a couple weeks, though.

Yep! She's pretty good and totally taught herself. She loves the Tangle Teazer, too, and now it's brushed before the pony/pig tails. But, she gets about the same amount of hair in each, and they are lined up evenly if there are 2. At night, she'll put 4-5 braids in to make 'wiggly' hair in the morning.

Her current favorite is to take the front part on one side and twist it. Then, I hold it while she twists the other side. She then puts them together in the back with a ponytail holder near the ends. Finally, she does a loose ponytail at her neck for all the hair. It's pretty cute. She saw it on some TV show, I think.

I like the AG book and it gets nice reviews on Amazon. I might go with that one.

greatcanuk
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I have both books. I find the Cozy Cuts one to be much better. The AG hair book for girls is basically the same as the one for dolls. The Cozy Cuts one takes into account the perspective of a parent (i.e. there is a chapter on hairstyles for getting out the door fast in the morning).

Camille

KrisM
06-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I have both books. I find the Cozy Cuts one to be much better. The AG hair book for girls is basically the same as the one for dolls. The Cozy Cuts one takes into account the perspective of a parent (i.e. there is a chapter on hairstyles for getting out the door fast in the morning).

Camille

Thanks for the info. Our B&N had the AG book in stock and I ordered the other from Amazon. I'll see which seems better for her/us.

Clarity
06-01-2011, 10:43 PM
:yeahthat: I'm amazed, Kris. Really. My dd1 likes to try to put her hair in a hair band but she cannot manipulate the band and put in a ponytail. Nor can she braid. I didn't even know it was possible at that age!

KrisM
06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
:yeahthat: I'm amazed, Kris. Really. My dd1 likes to try to put her hair in a hair band but she cannot manipulate the band and put in a ponytail. Nor can she braid. I didn't even know it was possible at that age!

She puts the band around her wrist, grabs her ponytail, pulls it over, twists and does it again. It's a bit awkward looking, and it ends up slightly messy, but it's good.

She's good at the fine motor skills things. She makes mermaid costumes out of paper and tape for her Barbie doll and they are very nice looking. And, she learned to tie her shoes last summer a month or so after turning 4.