PDA

View Full Version : And tell me about San Antonio, Tx?

crl
06-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Same as always ;). I'm doing some preliminary poking around on places we might like to live someday. Tell me about San Antonio, Tx, please.

Thank you!
Catherine

crl
06-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Anyone?
Catherine

DietCokeLover
06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I have been there and my BFF lived in the suburb of Cibolo for a while. She liked it. It was a good community to live in. They are military, so I don't know how much that influenced their experience. I loved visiting there. Great food opportunities.

lhafer
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
San Antonio is a great place to raise a family IMO. Lots to do there and the surrounding areas (there's Fiesta Texas theme park, the Riverwalk, Schlitterbauhn and all the little German towns, a fabulous huge outlet mall not too far away, etc). I grew up on a large 500 acre ranch about 40 miles north of San Antonio and LOVE the Texas Hill Country. My first memories are of there. Then I moved to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Moved away for college and went to Austin. Then came here to Houston for DH's job in 2001. I would love to move back to San Antonio if given the chance.

The weather is very hot in the summers, but it's a drier heat than here in Houston. The winters it gets cold, but it's more like freezes than real snow. Spring is beautiful and Fall brings great weather, but don't expect too much of the fall colors like up in the NE of the nation. Sometimes if you blink you miss the color change!! There are tornadoes and bad thunder storms. They bother some people who aren't used to the Texas storms. But mostly it's sunny and good weather.

kerridean
06-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Oh no it's not a dry heat at all! It is very humid here!

lhafer
06-02-2011, 03:08 AM
Oh no it's not a dry heat at all! It is very humid here!

Not as humid as Houston. It's not Arizona dry heat for sure, but DFW and San Antonio are a lot less humid than Houston, but they get hotter/colder in temperature a little bit.

Gracemom
06-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I have 2 sisters that live in San Antonio, and they love it. We love visiting too. It's a big city that feels more like a smaller town. Lots to do, friendly people, fairly easy to get around (by car, of course). History, culture, restaurants, nearby amazing outlet malls, family friendly activities = fun! Very large Hispanic population, which is why my DH loves it (Cuban, grew up in Miami). Yes, it's very hot, but the winter is very mild!

MommyofAmaya
06-02-2011, 09:21 AM
I also love San Antonio. It is a HUGE city with a small town feel IMO. The people are very warm and there is alot of great food. As PP mentioned, there is a huge military presence. We are inner city folks and have found some great neighborhoods there within the city. The suburbs are indistinguishable from any others in Texas. SIL goes to UTSA and we visit her often. She actually chose SA over Austin, which, as much as I like SA, cannot wrap my head around.

crayonblue
06-02-2011, 10:18 AM
My cousin lives there and loves it. Thomas Gibson (the actor on Criminal Minds) lives there with his family. I read an interview with him and he said they chose San Antonio because they thought it was the most family friendly city they had been to (and his wife is from SA).

But, it is HOT.