PDA

View Full Version : Why does my DS always turn into a werewolf when we go out to eat?

arivecchi
06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Seriously. Every single time. He (DS2) cannot be taken to restaurants. Period. Has zero patience for them and generally drives me insane. He acts like a wild animal. Yesterday, this included crying, screaming, throwing food and things, spilling drinks. I just picked him up and left. Threw the credit card at my brother so he could finish eating and pay.

When will I get to dine out with the boys again?

Sigh.

hillview
06-01-2011, 03:53 PM
UGGG. I am finding we have a pretty good success rate at age almost 6 and 3. I remember the 2 year old age not being so helpful when eating out. SIGH.
/hillary

Multimama
06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Oh no! Can you feed him in advance and then bring a sticker book for him to do during dinner? That's what I do these days. :) Those sticker books are magical. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Diggers-Dumpers-Ultimate-Sticker-Books/dp/0756609747/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1306958023&sr=8-4

Fairy
06-01-2011, 03:55 PM
D'oh! We also bring a bag of goodies for him every time. But at your DS's age, it might be just a difficult age for that kind of thing. We're lucky that he's good in restaurants. But getting him to one is the key. Kid's a homebody. At least you can get your kid out!

larig
06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
That sucks. DS is usually pretty good eating out, but I once met an out-of-state college friend who I hadn't seen for oh, 15 years and MAN did he put on a show that day. I so wanted to talk and enjoy my friend, but DS was horrible.

Anyway, I don't think it will be too long and you'll be able to take your two little gents out on the town.

mommylamb
06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
DS is not a great restaurant goer either. I just assume it will get better. Soon I hope.

arivecchi
06-01-2011, 04:14 PM
It's really strange because DS1 has always been so good.

Oh well, I guess DS2 likes to earn his dictator moniker.

The sticker book is an awesome idea. I might have to give that a try whenever I am brave enough to go out with them again.

My brother was in shock. DS2 put on quite the show.

catpagmo
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I hear you. My DS does this almost every time we go to Target. Ugh! In restaurants, he does ok, but I make sure to bring distractions! I usually bring a grab-n-go pack for him, which I get at the Target dollar spot. They come with a small pack of crayons, a mini coloring book, and a sheet of stickers.

Multimama
06-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Or for the less expensive alternative for a shorter/lower priority meal I go with a sheet from here and a large blank sheet of paper :):

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Sticker-Collection-Blue/dp/B004OFBY7K

elektra
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
My DS is getting more and more difficult at restaurants too. He used to be so easy!
I have 3 lines of defense:
1) toy. he will drive a little car around on the table
2 snacks. Feeding him usually helps and I give him Cherrios so he can pick them up and feed them to himself
3) iPhone videos. This is the last resort and I'm sure others will disagree but when faced with an impending tantrum we break out the Caillou YouTube videos or whatever else we have available to have them watch.

We also try and get a booth so he and DD can play around a bit when we first sit down. We wait untiil the food comes before we make him sit in the highchair a lot of times.

crl
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
When ds was little we did the following

1. Everyone gets seated. One adult immediately leaves with the child to go to a nearby park or for a walk.
2. Everyone orders appetizers. They come fastest.
3. No one may order desert (unless it was to go, and then you had order it when the waiter brings the appetizers and specify that it was to go.)
4. Ask for the check before you are done eating.

So much fun. Not.

Catherine

hellokitty
06-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I feel your pain. DS3 can be really, really bad. To the point where we've barely eaten out at all in the past yr, b/c it's just not worth the grief.

Green_Tea
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I think some 2 year olds just cannot handle restaurants. My DS was like that. Still is, sometimes. I have noticed that things get worse as the day wears on - breakfast out is OK, lunch is a 50/50 proposition, and dinner is armageddon.

My sympathies.
:hug::hug::hug:

jenfromnj
06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
My DS is getting more and more difficult at restaurants too. He used to be so easy!
I have 3 lines of defense:
1) toy. he will drive a little car around on the table
2 snacks. Feeding him usually helps and I give him Cherrios so he can pick them up and feed them to himself
3) iPhone videos. This is the last resort and I'm sure others will disagree but when faced with an impending tantrum we break out the Caillou YouTube videos or whatever else we have available to have them watch.

We also try and get a booth so he and DD can play around a bit when we first sit down. We wait untiil the food comes before we make him sit in the highchair a lot of times.

This is pretty much my exact strategy, too! It doesn't always work on DS (recently turned 2), but it's generally our best shot at having a peaceful meal out. We've also found that letting him sit either in a booster or directly on the seat (depending on height) results in much better behavior than sitting in a highchair for some reason.

scrooks
06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
We have the opposite problem...DS is pretty good at restaurants- as long as he has a constant stream of food. DD is a little wild woman....won't sit still, talks loudly...sigh...we probably have not taken her out enough but now we don't want to take her!