PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Thinking about a career change

BabbyO
06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
So I've realized over the last few years that I'm just not really in the right field career-wise. I don't mind what I'm doing, but well, its just a job...a way to support my family.

I've realized that after having my son I am MUCH more passionate about other things. For example, if I could figure out a way to go to the training, I'd LOVE to become a CPST (especially since they're hard to come by in our area). I've always been a people person and I've done a fair amount of volunteer fundraising work in the past.

Right now I work in a technical field sitting at a desk (civil engineer). It's something I can do...but I'm just not passionate about it. A few years ago I went to a class at the local tech college that was meant to help you find a career that suited you. Of course, the results of my interest/strength tests came up with pretty much the exact field I'm in, but I'm convinced that it was partially because of the way the questions were phrased "You are most comfortable with x or y". Well, of course I'm most comfortable doing the types of things I've done for the last 10 years....so the results showed technical/engineering type careers.

I've also got the added pressure of having the primary income in the house. Not like a 80/20 split or anything...but still I bring home about 60% of our total income, so any change is scary...any change that puts me at a significantly lower income level is probably not feasible.

So, I guess that was a lot of background to ask...how would you go about finding the right career for you?

bubbaray
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm the Cdn equivalent of a US tech and we don't get paid. I don't know any US techs who get paid, unless they happen to work for a fire/police department or TRU.

Go ahead and get certified, but I would bet you won't find gainful employment as a tech unless you also pass the qualifying tests to become a firefighter or police officer (or TRU staff member).

BabbyO
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm the Cdn equivalent of a US tech and we don't get paid. I don't know any US techs who get paid, unless they happen to work for a fire/police department or TRU.

Go ahead and get certified, but I would bet you won't find gainful employment as a tech unless you also pass the qualifying tests to become a firefighter or police officer (or TRU staff member).

Oh, I have no delusions of becoming a paid CPST...just trying to give an example of something I've found I'm passionate about. If I'm ever able to get the time off to become certified...I wouldn't expect to find a paid position, but would look to work with local agencies that might offer the service.

I also love doing fundraising work, helping people come up with economical solutions to problems/projects (anything from cheaper ways to plan a wedding to smarter purchases when planning for a child, or home improvement project, etc).

I guess I'm trying to figure out what my true passions are and how to incorporate them into a viable career.

niccig
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
So, I guess that was a lot of background to ask...how would you go about finding the right career for you?

I went to therapy. I had other stuff to work out too, but my main issue was to work out what work I want to do. I'm now back in school, and it's going to be 4yrs before I'm finished. The plan with DH is that once I'm working and set-up, he may need to transition to another career as his current career has earlier retirement age than normal. I'll have about 5-8 yrs working before DH does that.

I did have some requirements - must want to do it, family friendly, somewhat flexible if possible, not too costly to retrain, it will taking longer than I wanted to retrain though, available jobs within close proximity of DS's school. DH was relieved when I chose on something that is at one of the Cal Sates as tuition is reasonable.

I was a SAHM, so we had already lost my income, although my prior employer did have a job they wanted me to take. DH and I talked and opted for me to do what I want as I finally figured it out, and it has better long term career prospects, and is portable. My old job was not, and DH knew I would be miserable. It's not easy to retrain and switch gears. If you need your income, you might have to juggle work and part-time school if you need to retrain.

Another option is to see if there's a niche area within your current field that would serve you better.

scrooks
06-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Babby O- we have the same job and I feel the same way you do! I would love to do something else but have no idea what. I am extremely lucky to have a part time job (still as a civil engineer) and a boss that is super flexible so at this point I would hate to that up. We may be moving out of state next spring so if that happens I would probably just take a few years off. I would love to eventually find my "passion"!

smiles33
06-01-2011, 07:08 PM
BabbyO: could it be that you could move into a position that still uses your tech expertise but requires getting away from your desk? Like something involved with helping people (based on what you've listed thus far)? It sounds like you're drawn to using your knowledge to help people (whether it's as CPST, problem-solving, fundraising) and that may not be part of your current job as a civil engineer. What about teaching engineering classes? I think it's hard to walk away from a well-compensated job and abandon your technical expertise completely if your family depends on your paycheck. But if you can find a compromise, it might make you feel more fulfilled and not risk your family's financial stability either.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Been a CE for over 10 years. In some ways, Engineering really suits me via the way I think, and the way I organize my life. But does it fulfill me? No.

One thing that I've found that I really enjoy doing is desktop publishing and the like. This year I volunteered to be the yearbook lady for the baseball little league, and have had a blast with it. I also enjoy doing things like creating our own Christmas cards. Fell into it by accident a few years back.

But, like you, I'm a substantial contributor to the household income, and I can't see desktop publishing making nearly enough to pay for 3 kids in daycare (especially in the high COL area that we live in)....sigh.

--Jennifer

SoloMelody
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I am in the same boat as you. I know very well that I do not want to be in this engineering desk job all my career.

As smiles33 said teaching is my choice of profession(if it wasn't for my immigration issues). That said I too enjoy being able to serve the community or give back by sharing what I have gained. I know I want to do it in the context of children .... teaching at the end of the day made me feel so satisfied. If you are anything like me with a need to serve, try teaching. Salary wise it might work out to be a compromise...