PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a babysitter

jgenie
06-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I just did a phone interview. I need to have her come out to meet us to see how the kids like her. Did you check references before meeting or after? TIA

crl
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I checked after.

Catherine

ha98ed14
06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
I would do it after. Get you own impression first, then ask for others' input. Otherwise you are going to go into the idea with preconceived notions. You will be more objective seeing her in person first and then letting the references confirm any observations you may have.

hollybloom24
06-01-2011, 05:48 PM
After meeting them.

I don't put much stock into references - who would ever give the name of someone who wouldn't give them a good reference, KWIM? Make sure you like the person, then call.

lalasmama
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I used to not even check references, and just go off gut feelings. Realistically, they are only going to give you the happy references, right? .... At any rate, I had a daycare that DD went to, and, months later, found out that the lady had some mental health issues that she let go of (ie, stopped taking her medicine). Wish I had a reference that could/would have warned me about that (screaming, slandering me all over Craigslist, etc). But that's the situation with a reference; you only hand out information on who you want to talk about you.

Now, I do an hour-long interview, including interaction with DD, and then do the police and DHS check, and go from there...

jgenie
06-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. Did you always interview more than one person? The girl I talked to sounded great and lives in my town. I had other people apply but they are from farther away (30 mins or more) so I feel like it would be harder to get them to come babysit for a couple of hours if they have to drive that much.