PDA

View Full Version : Happy Post about a Quirky Kid

pinkmomagain
06-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Just thought I would post a really positive post about dd2. She has always been one of the quirky kids (dev delays, adhd inattentive type, anxiety) and has always been socially awkward. I think her ADHD meds that she started a few years ago helped her out alot. She has a few school friends (who she has been friendly with for nearly all her life..due to girl scouts and classes) and sometimes has a playdate...but she definitely is not texting and hanging out as much as a typical girl her age.

She is finishing up her first year in middle school and it was recently her birthday. In middle school, the tradition is to have your locker decorated by friends when it is your birthday. Well last week she was surprised to find that these girls decorated her locker for her birthday. She was so happy. And I was even happier! I never would have guessed 8-9 years ago that something like that would happen. Now mind you, she's not going to be prom queen or anything, but it was nice to see her enjoy a typical tradition at school.

Just thought it would be a nice story for other parents to hear how much things can look differently for our special needs kids as they grow.

hellokitty
06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Yay, that is so sweet that her friends did that. DS1 is also my quirky kid and I worry about him too socially. It's nice to hear that things can improve as they get older.

mrshalco
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
That's great! That story made me smile :)

I work in a Social communication class and today one of Kindergarten students completed a lap in the gym with verbal and gestural commands only. His whole class (reg. ed) was cheering for him and congratulating him. Made me so happy!

JTsMom
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Aww, that's a great story! Thanks so much for sharing that. I'm very happy for your DD! :cheerleader1:

Gena
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Thank you for sharing your daughter's story. It's always nice to hear how quirky kids progress.

It sounds like your DD has some wonderful friends. I hope she had a great birthday!

pinkmomagain
06-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Ha, Ha. And just to show you, I'm right about the "quirky" part...

Yesterday we had a little party for her and 7 friends. In one of the cards, a friend wrote a cinquain about dd:

dd's name
quirky, cute
creative, caring, funny
talented, gifted, artistic
friend

Quirky being the first description! Nice and rare to find those who appreciate it!

Uno-Mom
06-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Hurrah that made me smile!

This weekend we attended a party celebrating our neighbor boy's triumphant graduation from highschool! The house was crammed with his friends having a great time. We chatted about his very good job prospects. It was splendid. He has Aspergers.

This forum should share happy stories more often.

mytwosons
06-09-2011, 08:30 AM
I love reading these posts!