PDA

View Full Version : recommend your non plastic water bottle for DC

hillview
06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
We have a bunch of plastic and I am finally giving it up and going with non plastic. I need about 12 of them. Please recommend what you like best. The boys are almost 6 and 3.75 years old. I need something for in the car, at camp, travel etc.

Thanks!
/hillary

Katigre
06-01-2011, 08:19 PM
12 water bottles? That seems excessive to me. We have two per kid and that is plenty b/c we bring the same ones everywhere.

FWIW, we have Klean Kanteens (the 12 oz, smallest size) with sport caps. I use an 18 oz KK with sport cap, but if your kids are big drinkers consider the 18 oz instead of the 12 oz.

hillview
06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
12 water bottles? That seems excessive to me. We have two per kid and that is plenty b/c we bring the same ones everywhere.

FWIW, we have Klean Kanteens (the 12 oz, smallest size) with sport caps. I use an 18 oz KK with sport cap, but if your kids are big drinkers consider the 18 oz instead of the 12 oz.

Thanks -- maybe just 6 ... do the sports caps leak?

crl
06-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Yes, KK sports caps leak.

Catherine

crl
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Oh, should have said, we have a couple of stainless steell camelbak bottles. They do not leak. But the straw part is plastic, so. . . . .

Catherine

weech
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I just bought the 12oz KK with sport cap and this CamelBak bottle - http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-0-4-Liter-Stainless-Steel-Bottle/dp/B0026IXQZ0/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

I like them both, but they were pricey. The KK is lighter and easier for little hands to hold. I'll probably use the camelbak for myself for a while.

Dr C
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I use KK's with the regular (screw) cap. If assembled properly, it does not leak, but it does leak a bit if not put on tightly--this might not be a big deal with water but is a problem with milk, which is what we send for lunch. DS's teachers usually help him.

I have a SIGG water bottle that I need to replace due to the BPA-containing liner (it's a REALLY old one!) but I like it a lot otherwise, I will probably get another SIGG (sans BPA).

We also have a nice camelbak waterbottle for DS. It has a flip up straw with a bite valve. It doesn't leak. They're just pricy, is all.

hillview
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
OK so why is it so hard to find a non leaking sports top and is made of metal. It just seems pretty basic, no?

bubbaray
06-01-2011, 09:00 PM
We use the Thermos Funtainers. They are the girls' fave. They are double walled, so they don't sweat. They much prefer them to the KKs we have.

Kindra178
06-01-2011, 10:49 PM
We use the Thermos Funtainers. They are the girls' fave. They are double walled, so they don't sweat. They much prefer them to the KKs we have.

My guys love these the best. They don't leak and they keep milk cold for hours. I hate the straw part though. We have lost a couple and it makes the bottle unusable. Buying replacement straws is a pita - can't do it online. I wish Thermos would sell a pack of replacement straws at the same stores where they sell the funtainers, like Target or Amazon.

kristac
06-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Yep, funtainers rock here as well. No leaking. No squeeking when they drink like the KK. I agree 2 per kid is plenty. BRU/TRU sometimes have B1G1 50% off sales.

daniele_ut
06-02-2011, 04:01 PM
We use stainless steel Camelbak Kids bottles. The bite valve is silicone, but the straws are #5 plastic.

MizMojoLaveau
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
I like the KK with the screw on lid (getting harder to find than the sport cap) and it doesn't leak. I should add that my screw on lids are plastic, though. I think they may also make them in stainless, though.