PDA

View Full Version : Sextuplets born in PA

emily_gracesmama
06-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Wow sextuplets were born at the local hospital where I had both of my girls. Kind if wondering if my fertility docs had a hand in it. They said very little except three boys and three girls, the babies and mom are ok and further info would be at the family's discretion. Positive thoughts to the family. They are gonna have their hands full!

ha98ed14
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Kind if wondering if my fertility docs had a hand in it.

No question in my mind. Hopefully she won't become known as Sextomom. That would be bad. Godspeed to all of them!

ETA: This just in: Octomom's doc just lost his medical license. Article here (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/06/a-matter-octomom-doctor-michael-kamrava.html)! I might be sweating if I was the PA doc responsible for this one!

TwinFoxes
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Somewhere a TLC producer is jumping for joy.

JoyNChrist
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Wow. I just can't even imagine. Two at once has almost killed me!

brittone2
06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
No question in my mind. Hopefully she won't become known as Sextomom. That would be bad. Godspeed to all of them!

ETA: This just in: Octomom's doc just lost his medical license. Article here (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/06/a-matter-octomom-doctor-michael-kamrava.html)! I might be sweating if I was the PA doc responsible for this one!

I'm hazy on this but wasn't the deal with Octomom that she had all of those embryos transferred via IVF? I think that was the catch with her doc's behavior.

if you are doing fertility txs and using injectables and IUI (vs IVF, which is a different procedure) it is possible to end up with higher order multiples. The nature of IUI means lots of sperm have a shot at what may be a large number of follicles. There's only so much that can be controlled w/ IUI, even with careful monitoring. They watch the follicles mature via US, and will cancel if it looks crazy high, but it isn't uncommon to have multiple mature follicles prior to an IUI procedure. High order multiples are not the desired goal by any means with IUI/injectables, but it happens.

With IVF, they can choose to only put 1-2 embryos (or more, depending on circumstances, but most docs won't transfer a large number, barring extreme circumstances). This lets you limit the possible number of babies, but it is also more expensive and more involved (whole protocol tends to be more involved, there are transfers, embryology, etc.). I thought with Octomom's doc, they *chose* to transfer a large number of embryos, which is not typical for IVF.

You can get higher order multiples with iui/injectables, and that's how most higher order multiple pregnancies start. The issue with the ethics/licensing is *intentionally transferring* a large number of embryos (via IVF), which is not a typical protocol by any means. (different from the medically undesirable but possible outcome of doing injectables/IUI and ending up w/ higher order multiples, essentially "by accident" vs. intentionally transferring a large number of embryos).

kijip
06-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Glad they are all well. Definitely fertility drugs. Quintuplets are highest I have ever heard of occurring naturally, and even then that is a once in a generation or less occurrence. Triplets and Quadruplets without fertility interventions are also very unusual.

katydid1971
06-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Somewhere a TLC producer is jumping for joy.
:hysterical:

oneontheway
06-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Wow, I had my three at the same hospital (all at different times though, lol)! Good to know they can handle an extremely difficult delivery like that one. I wonder who the delivering doctor(s) were.

TwoBees
06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
That's the hospital where I had DD. Their NICU is fantastic (and recently expanded--when DD was there, they had 36 beds and were filled to capacity!). During our stay there, I saw many families with multiples (although none with more than triplets). I was speaking with one mother of a set of triplets, and she mentioned that many multiple-gestation pregnancies are sent to that hospital because it has the only Level 3 NICU in the area (outside of CHOP, which is quite a trek for people in the northern burbs).

I wish the family good luck. But I'm curious to know more!!

I wonder who the delivering doctor(s) were.

:yeahthat:
I kind of want to know if they are from the practice I go to, KWIM?

maydaymommy
06-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Total hi-jack
but, what's that, 3 of you who are local to that hospital? That would now be my local hospital as well, since we've moved to the NW 'burbs.

Sounds like we have enough people for a meet-up!

Also, does anyone care to pm me with info on their recommended docs/practice for that hospital? I need a new one in this area, and would need mfm, too.

TwoBees
06-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Total hi-jack
but, what's that, 3 of you who are local to that hospital? That would now be my local hospital as well, since we've moved to the NW 'burbs.

Sounds like we have enough people for a meet-up!

Also, does anyone care to pm me with info on their recommended docs/practice for that hospital? I need a new one in this area, and would need mfm, too.

I sent you a PM.

I'm game for a meet-up.

oneontheway
06-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm game too! I'll pm you drs.

gatorsmom
06-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow. I just can't even imagine. Two at once has almost killed me!

:yeahthat: I really, really feel for that family. They have no idea what they are in for.