PDA

View Full Version : Medela Pump In Style... look at this picture please

artvandalay
06-01-2011, 09:26 PM
And tell me if it would be weird to sell this at my yard sale:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/13265991/23619062/397054353.jpg

I have never used this. My cousin gave it to me. I'm pretty sure she's used it with two of her children, maybe even with all 3. She said it is in great condition. I pulled the black bag with the machine out of the bag. She said it's a closed system, so you can just purchase new tubes. I would throw everything you see in a big box.

Would it be weird to sell it at my yard sale? I wonder if I would get weird looks. I have no clue how to use it, I hope no one asks. How much would I sell it (along with all the stuff you see with it?) I have no idea what I would do with it if it doesn't sell at the yard sale... perhaps CL but I"m trying to not deal with CL people.

** I also have a manual Medela pump that I've only used a few times... I was going to sell that, too. I can add it to this lot or just have it separate.

Snow mom
06-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Honestly, I would list it on CL. I know it can be a hassle but I find it is less of a hassle if you basically don't assume anyone is going to show until they are actually there. I no longer go out of my way for CL buyers and then they don't bug me nearly as much. Anyway, I just don't think you'll get anywhere near what a pump is worth at a garage sale (and I wouldn't be surprised if it went unsold.) One option would be to post the item in your listing of your garage sale on CL. Then if people search for the item they will see that it will be at your sale and maybe come see it then.

ETA: the PIS is not a closed system and is marked as a single user pump. Lots of people sell them but it's not true that new tubing= no exposure.

artvandalay
06-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I really don't care how much I get for it. I just want it out of my baby's closet. It's been taking up room in there for over a year. I didn't even want it, but she was kind of pushy about giving it to me. I don't want to throw it away... but I didn't realize it wasn't a closed system....she told me it was. I guess that would make it unsellable, right? Should I just toss it (if it's obviously unhygenic)?

wellyes
06-01-2011, 10:06 PM
People sell them on CL all the time. It's not a completely closed system and you're not supposed to sell them, but it's not that gross to use a hand-me-down. I'd use a friend's pump (with my own accessories) in a pinch.

It's not in my comfort zone to get a used pump from a stranger, but then again, I can afford a new one. That kit sold for cheap could be a godsend to someone. I agree with the PP about posting the details on CL prior to your yard sale.

mom2binsd
06-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I"d print out as much info as you can to eliminate as many questions as you can. I bet for 20.00 you could get rid of it!

vonfirmath
06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Be sure to state how many babies it has been used for--after seeing the condition Of mine after one baby i'd hesitate to buy one used for three unless it was very cheap ($20 is cheap)

DebbieJ
06-01-2011, 11:19 PM
You could put it out there, but I know you would definitely sell it on CL.

Medela has put out a notice about using a pre-owned breast pump. http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/14/can-i-buy-or-borrow-a-pre-owned-breastpump.

A local baby boutique was listing a used PIS on their FB page for a customer. When I pointed out Medela's position, the owner/webmaster fired back saying that she thought it was just a ploy for Medela to sell more pumps (and she deleted my comment--classy!). That store lost me as a customer FOREVER. For anyone in Chicagoland, it's Cutie Poops & Bottoms in Orland Park. Do not shop there EVER.

HallsofVA
06-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I've sold two PIS on CL

MotownMom
06-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I would personally just pitch it.

I know there are CL lovers on this forum, but I do not think any of our (and our families) health and well-being is worth having stranger come to your home for the $20 you could make off the supplies. Not to mention that the re-use of this item is considered unhygenic and not safe by the manufacturer.