PDA

View Full Version : Why are American Girl dolls not rec'd for age 5?

KrisM
06-02-2011, 08:00 AM
DD wants an American Girl doll. She gets the catalog and likes all the accessories they come with. She wants more matching outfits for her and her doll. She has a Corolle Vanilla doll, which is smaller, and it's really hard to find accessories for it. Also, she wants a doll that sits on her own and the Corolle doesn't. And, I know she wants to be able to braid the doll's hair and do other fancy things with the hair.

I can't find the 'why' behind why these dolls are for much older kids. She doesn't have the books and doesn't yet read, and I get that. But, I'm struggling with why spend $30 on a doll that isn't AG and doesn't have the nicer hair, etc. It seems like I would regret it.

Melaine
06-02-2011, 08:04 AM
It sounds like she could be ready to me. It's true that the bigger dolls are somewhat harder to care for (their hair), and maybe just the fact that they are a big investment. But it sounds like she is into the kind of play, so she might be fine with it. Our AG's are older (from my childhood), so maybe the hair is different, but it is not easy to style. I think I probably need to condition it or something.

KrisM
06-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Yes, she plays with the doll every day. She brushes her hair nearly every day and I do a better job for her once a week or so. It's not quite long enough for fancier styles, but she does braid it. While she's not abusive to her dolls (no throwing them or anything), she is just turning 5 so she isn't perfect at taking care of it.

Melaine
06-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Yes, she plays with the doll every day. She brushes her hair nearly every day and I do a better job for her once a week or so. It's not quite long enough for fancier styles, but she does braid it. While she's not abusive to her dolls (no throwing them or anything), she is just turning 5 so she isn't perfect at taking care of it.

It sounds like her doll play is much more sophisticated than my four year olds....they still just tote them around and put various accessories on and around them! I know they are not ready, although they LOVE holding my Samantha dolls (I have three) when I let them.

I do know that we will NOT wait until age 8 (is that recommended?). I imagine us getting them AG dolls maybe the Christmas after they turn 6 perhaps.

katydid1971
06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I think AG, like every toy manufacturer goes high on ages to be on the safe side. If they rec'd for 3 yo and they all got destroyed then people would be upset IFYKWIM.

FYI PBK has Gotz 18 Dolls for a little less than AG. You might want to consider them, many consider them better quality than AG. They made the original AG girl dolls before Mattel bought the company.
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/gotz-doll-collection/?pkey=dgirls-toys

alirebco
06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
My sister got my 5 yo niece the Our Generation doll from Target. It's very similar to the AG but a lot cheaper.

Here's one of them:
http://www.target.com/Our-Generation-Doll-Book-Adventure/dp/B002BTPKMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&searchView=list&keywords=doll&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-2&qid=1307034466&rh=subjectbin%3A1038620|target_com_brand-bin%3AOur%20Generation&searchRank=target104545&id=Our%20Generation%20Doll%20Book%20Adventure&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

craftysierra
06-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I bought my 5yr old a used and well loved (cut hair) AG doll from ebay (under $40 with shipping after a lot of looking). She will get her own doll on her 6th birthday. I think the age is being a bit conservative but I normally have to help her dress the dolls. I was going to let her play with my doll, but I had to have her repaired and Molly is signed and dated so I chickened out and my doll is for looking at and occasional outfit changes.
Sierra

KrisM
06-02-2011, 03:47 PM
The Pottery Barn dolls are cute. I like their faces better. But, only $11 cheaper! I'll show them to her and see what she thinks. I wonder if the store carries them.

She's seen the Our Generation at Target and the dolls carried at Michael's (Springfield, maybe?). Do those hold up well, I wonder? I worry that she won't be able to brush the hair.

I don't mind spending the money, because I think she'll get a ton of play time out of it. It sounds like if she's not too rough with the doll, it should be fine.

AnnieW625
06-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I honestly have no clue why they are recommended for age 8+ because I was 9 or 10 when the original AG dolls came out in the mid 80s and I was not interested in dolls at all. I think my sister was 6 or 7 (as were my two cousins; and my neighbor who got one when their first came out) and she liked them. She got her last one when she was 9 or 10.

I ended up getting DD1 a single Bitty Twin for her 5th birthday in April, but it was her first non baby doll so I thought it was a good size to start with. I had thought about the Corolle Vanilla too, but I agree there aren't many accessories for it and I thought she'd like the AG girl better because she loves the AG catalog when it comes in the mail.

mnosky1
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I have no idea - the books that go with them are maybe for that age reading level but my daughter read them the summer before 1st grade (age 5, turning 6) and that is what sparked her interest in the dolls. She previously had no interest in the dolls at all.

I've posted this before- I wouldnt sub out another doll for AG if you DD wants AG because at least with my daughters friends, the books and stories are important and they have AG club at Barnes and Noble and the library and bringing doll X from target or PBK just isnt going to be the same. They all know Julie is the 70s doll, Felecity is Colonial, etc. Its no big deal to sub out acessories, make your own etc -my DD loves her closet she made out of a cardboard box but if you sub out a doll- i think you'll be sorry. Anyway, at AG party at library recently, girls were mostly age 4-9 I,d say.

KrisM
06-04-2011, 08:41 PM
It sounds like it's a reasonable choice, at least for some girls. I really think DD will take care of it well enough. I think we'll get her one and she'll be very happy.

Melaine
06-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I totally agree with pp, that some dolls may be cheaper, but there is no substitute for the wonderful stories that accompany the dolls. That is really what brings the magic to AG, and what sets it apart from other high-quality doll companies.

Kris, which doll do you think you will get? So fun!

shishamo
06-06-2011, 01:54 PM
My daughter got Julie (AG doll) when she turned 6 years old. It's been 9 months and she has been loved and well taken care of.

I did wait till birthday because they are expensive, it's a very nice special gift. My daughter LOVED it.

KrisM
06-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I totally agree with pp, that some dolls may be cheaper, but there is no substitute for the wonderful stories that accompany the dolls. That is really what brings the magic to AG, and what sets it apart from other high-quality doll companies.

Kris, which doll do you think you will get? So fun!

No idea. She has her ideas of which one and it changes now and then. I think we'll go to a store and have her pick it out. We'll be in NH next month and can stop at the store in MA on the way home for a bit.

Melaine
06-06-2011, 03:25 PM
No idea. She has her ideas of which one and it changes now and then. I think we'll go to a store and have her pick it out. We'll be in NH next month and can stop at the store in MA on the way home for a bit.

That will be great. Honestly, when I was that age I would have thought I had DIED and gone to HEAVEN to go to an AG store. Seriously, I can't imagine anything that would have delighted me more as a little girl. Delights me quite a bit as a grown woman!

Have a great time!

lizzywednesday
06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
That will be great. Honestly, when I was that age I would have thought I had DIED and gone to HEAVEN to go to an AG store. Seriously, I can't imagine anything that would have delighted me more as a little girl. Delights me quite a bit as a grown woman!

Have a great time!

I think you'd very much enjoy the store as a grownup, too.

(I do. And I am not that much of a "doll person.")