PDA

View Full Version : Update: What's your diet strategy when on vacation?

elektra
06-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Trip #1 is done- it was only a two day trip but I gained a pound and a half. HOWEVER, if there was a time to splurge, this was it! I ate at the most fabulous restaurant and drank great wine.
I did refrain from any alcohol during they day and drank water instead and tried to munch on fruit whenever possible. (Thanks so much for those tips.) And while I had good intentions to try and save up for the big dinners, I got room service breakfast each morning which took up a lot of WW points, even though I got poached eggs, and no potatoes.
But I do think I managed to stay within the weekly limit, I basically spent it all in one meal though! We were at the chef's table and he came out and explained each course and I just couldn't ruin his piece of art by asking for a lower fat/cal version. ;)

So I actually have no regrets. It wasn't like I ate a whole box of Joe Joe's or something you know?
Here is a pic of the ahi tuna salad I ordered for lunch. :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2324/5808544619_0febd43fed_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44911561@N02/5808544619/)

It came in a coconut. :)

I have two upcoming trips- the first one is an all-expenses paid weekend with free flowing drinks and all the food I can eat for free. Awesome! However, also a recipe for disaster when trying to lose weight!
My second trip is a two-week family vacation to Hawaii. Since I am footing the food and drink bill there, I think I will be less inclined to gorge myself.

Do you have any rules on vacation that are different from home? I do not want to completely let myself go after the work I have put it, but I want to live a little on vacation too, you know?

I am on WW so maybe just stick to the plan but use all my weekly extra points? (I have never done that and stick to just my daily points, only occasionally tapping into the weekly points.)
Maybe only allow myself a set number of alcoholic beverages and desserts a week??

weech
06-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I just went on vacation to an all-inclusive place with DH for five days. I'm also on WW, but I didn't track because I didn't want to be tied to a computer. This was my strategy:

Unlimited fruit at breakfast, maybe some yogurt, and protein (egg white omelets, bacon, etc) (watch portions)
Focus on steamed vegetables at lunch with a protein. No dessert or sweets. Try to avoid carbs.
Go to real restaurants at dinner (rather than buffet) and steer clear of cream sauces, carbs, etc. Be sensible. 1 Dessert is allowed
4 Alcoholic beverages a day
A TON of water

I was afraid I would totally blow it, but I actually lost .6 pounds while I was gone. Maybe it was all sweat? :ROTFLMAO:

arivecchi
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I find that if I drink lots of water I actually tend to lose weight in tropical settings - even though I may eat more than usual. I think between drinking more water, being more active plus sweating, one does not gain as much weight.

The PP's suggestions sound good to me. :)

StantonHyde
06-04-2011, 12:41 AM
I actually love the same breakfast EVERY day--nonfat yougurt with oatmeal. If you don't have a fridge in your room, then bring the oatmeal packets with you (I use the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal) and pick up the low fat yougurt at the bfast buffet that most places have.

I stick with salads, chicken or fish on top, and dressing on the side for lunch.

Dinner is what I want because we don't travel much. But if I wanted to watch my weight, I would stick with the tried and true. I actually will go for "diet meals" at chain restaurants because they are usually good and have a manageable amount of calories. (like 500+ cals isn't exactly diet food, but its better than the 1,000+ cals in the reg food!)

niccig
06-04-2011, 04:16 PM
I just went on vacation to an all-inclusive place with DH for five days. I'm also on WW, but I didn't track because I didn't want to be tied to a computer. This was my strategy:

Unlimited fruit at breakfast, maybe some yogurt, and protein (egg white omelets, bacon, etc) (watch portions)
Focus on steamed vegetables at lunch with a protein. No dessert or sweets. Try to avoid carbs.
Go to real restaurants at dinner (rather than buffet) and steer clear of cream sauces, carbs, etc. Be sensible. 1 Dessert is allowed
4 Alcoholic beverages a day
A TON of water

I was afraid I would totally blow it, but I actually lost .6 pounds while I was gone. Maybe it was all sweat? :ROTFLMAO:

This is a good plan, and I'll try to stick to it as well when we go on vacation.

DH and I did really well last year, then went to Hawaii for a week and ate and drank, and didn't start exercising again when we got back. So, I think the key is getting back into old routine once home again.

mackmama
06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I find that I am a lot more active when on vacation so it usually balances out (since I'm usually eating more on vaca too). The hard part for me is stopping the gorge-fest once I get back home.

wellyes
06-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I do not think I'd want to stick to 4 alcoholic beverages a day at an all-inclusive. Resorts of that sort tend to make slightly weak drinks, knowing that guests are looking to be pleasantly buzzed while keeping something in their hands at all times. My tip: ask the bartender for a coconut-rum based drink.... it gives a delightfully fruity flavor without adding a ton of calories the way fruit juice does.

I don't diet on vacation, but I do try to be sensible when it comes to stuff like pancakes/french toast and pasta with cream sauce.

elektra
06-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Bump for the update in post #1.