PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with our search for a new family automobile

CharlotteMommy
06-02-2011, 01:38 PM
DH and I will most likely be purchasing a new family automobile this year. The new car will be mine, mainly used for day-to-day errands, and the occasional long-distance family road trip. We want something that will comfortably fit our current family - two adults and two carseats - with room for other passengers (adults or children), as well as storage.

Initially we were thinking of getting something with a third row. However, several friends said that their third rows were hardly ever used due to lack of storage when it was set up. I know people love their minivans (I haven't met anyone who regretted their minivan purchase), but DH is not too keen on being a minivan-driving dad.

I'd love to hear if anyone has suggestions for family automobiles (SUV, crossover, minivan, whatever) that would fit our needs. We are in the very early stages of our research, so any input that might help us narrow down the large amount of choices out there would be great. TIA!!

Twoboos
06-02-2011, 01:43 PM
We got a Toyota Highlander Hybrid about a month ago. I am in love.

It has the 3rd row, and granted there is not a lot of storage when the row is up. But it's split 3rd, so if you only had 1 person back there you could still have half down for storage. It is very comfortable and roomy for us (usually 2 adults/2 kids).

Yesterday I transported 5 girls. It was a little tight with all the car seats, but it worked!

The gas mileage has been great, too. I know we paid a premium for it (low production due to tsunami/high demand due to gas prices) but we're going to have it for 8-10 years, hopefully closer to 10, so we are pleased.

The only downfall so far is that sometimes I have forgotten to shut it off - when it's in electric mode it's silent and I think it's already off. (Keyless entry, so no key in the ignition.) DUH!!! :D

R2sweetboys
06-02-2011, 01:49 PM
We have a Honda Odyssey and love it! My DH wasn't thrilled with the idea of a mini-van either but really grew to love it too. The space can't be beat. DH drives a Toyota Highlander-he likes it a lot but I would not want it for my main vehicle driving the kids around. It's just not roomy enough IMO. In order to have an SUV with the space that a mini-van offers, you'd have to go pretty big which ends up being a gas-guzzler.

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Mazda5. It's a good size for your family for day to day life and you have the ability to use the 3rd row. My Mazda5 is the same length as our Civic so still nit a really big car. I fou d anything bigger than it to be unnecessary for our life style and I also didn't want a y worse gas mileage than the 5 has (about 23mpg city). Oh a d the price is great compared to a Sienna or odyssey (we paid $21k)
Beth

liz
06-02-2011, 03:37 PM
GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse or Buick Enclave. I have a similar vehicle and I use the third row all the time in all the positions (it has a 60/40 split) - it's very handy. Plus I love that the third row can fit adults comfortably.