PDA

View Full Version : Walked into the proverbial hornets nest

trales
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I am currently teaching a summer course at the college I teach at. I am the only one in the building in the mornings. All 20 other classrooms, lectures halls and labs are empty. I had requested a multimedia room for the first 3 hours and then my lab for the last two. The two women doing the scheduling put me in my lab for all 5 hours, so I wouldn't have to walk and move my stuff across the hall. Great. I can't really get upset b/c one of them is in her early 100's and the other thinks she is Princess beatrice and comes in with homemade sculpted hats, bows and other head ornaments to go with her fabulous polyester suits and skirts from the early 80's. I don't really expect much.

I asked our dept seceratary (who is amazing) today if I could have the room across the hall unlocked and use it from 8-11 on Tuesday so I could show all my video clips for the nuclear chem lecture. Can't really do demos with that one. My sec. says of course, but I have to get approval for you to switch rooms, clear it with scheduling, notify public safety etc, she offers to handle it all for me (she rocks). She bcc's me on the email chain. OMG, I had no idea something so simple had to be made so complex by so many simple people.

Concern 1 was the A/C that it might not be working. Interesting since there is only A/C in three rooms in the building (the chem lab and computer lab). It gets more ridiculous. Then they had to make sure no one else needed it. Did I mention I am the only one there. All the old men in the dept teach afternoon classes so they can golf in the morning. Once they cleared up that I am the ONLY one in the building we moved to counting desks. The room is built for and has space for 35 students, I have 11. Bottom line is that I get my room, but it was pretty damn funny.

gatorsmom
06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
With all of your previous "wild kingdom" type posts, I thought for sure you really had walked into a hornets nest! Glad that wasn't the case.

Sounds like the summer school workers need more work. At least you kept them busy today. :D

ThreeofUs
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Academia. Glacial time scales based on the inability to get anything done without checking with the cast of thousands. Sounds like a great class though - I used to love teaching those small-numbers labs!