PDA

View Full Version : Lands End Sizing Oddness

HIU8
06-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I ordered DS uniform shirts from LE. I got the mesh polos and a navy sweatshirt. I ordered size 7-8 (small boys). On DS the shoulders are a bit big, but the length is not long. In other words he looks like he will outgrow them in length before August. Do all the LE uniform shirts run this way or just the mesh version?

On the same note, the ON uniform pants run really really LONG. I ordered a size 8 slim (DS currently wears a 7 slim in pants). They were about 5 inches to long. I expected them to be longer than the 7's he has, but certainly not that long. I returned and reordered the 7 slims. I hope they are ok.

crl
06-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Huh. Our ON pants did not seem particularly long to me.

I do think LE tends to be boxy in fit, which isn't ideal for my skinny ds, but since we don't have uniforms and he doesn't care if the shirt is baggy, I tend to just size up.

Catherine

HIU8
06-02-2011, 09:28 PM
The next size is 10-12 which, according to their charts, will be absolutely HUGE on DS. I think I may just never dry his shirts and see how much use he can get out of them. I'm wondering if ON or Gap uniform shirts run better (very different) and might be a better choice for DS.

crl
06-02-2011, 10:29 PM
The next size is 10-12 which, according to their charts, will be absolutely HUGE on DS. I think I may just never dry his shirts and see how much use he can get out of them. I'm wondering if ON or Gap uniform shirts run better (very different) and might be a better choice for DS.

Yeah, that size jump from 8s to 10-12s is huge. It's like there is a missing size. (oh, I know a size 9).

Catherine

tiapam
06-04-2011, 11:50 PM
well, most of the ladies tops at LE seem too short to me, except for the ones that are supposed to be longer, like tunics or layering tees. that drives me crazy. i bought DD a few mesh polos from Hanna Andersson when i found them on sale for $12, i think. the length seems good to me. the shirts have been a little big this year, but looked fine, so i assume they will still fit in the fall and possibly the following year. so i am very happy with those. the stains have all been coming out and with luck, DS will wear them.

Melaine
06-05-2011, 07:51 AM
I think their sizing is off for sure. I had to return swim suits for DDs because 5slim was too tight, which is inconsistent with all other brands we have tried.

boltfam
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I think their clothes run short. I bought some pants in 4T from them as well as some from Gymbo. When I help them up and compared them, the Gymbo pants were AT LEAST 2-3" longer. I find that I'm usually okay if I size up.

In your case, though, it sounds like Gap might be a good place to get polos. I find them to run longer and leaner than other brands.

ett
06-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, that size jump from 8s to 10-12s is huge. It's like there is a missing size. (oh, I know a size 9).

Catherine

I think most brands of bigger boy sizes run like that. Small is 8-10, Med. is 10-12, and Larger is 12-14. Even Gymboree, which does single digit sizes, jumps from size 8 to 10.

HIU8
06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Are Gap and ON polos the same quality?

RunnerDuck
06-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I got my kids winter coats from LE on clearance hoping they would fit next year and came to realize the COATS can be let out (grow lines in the sleeves) but the fleece insides... can not. And the fleece parts seem really small. I am not sure any of my kids coats will actually fit next year, ugh. I got 5-6 for my 3yo girls, one of whom is only 25% for height/weight... some of their stuff totally runs small!

boltfam
06-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Are Gap and ON polos the same quality?

I have never bought ON polos, but Gap is pretty decent quality. My DS probably doesn't wear them as often as yours does, since he's not in school yet, so that might make a difference.

I have never bought HA polos, but their t's hold up great! I know their clothes can tend to run kind of boxy but my tall, skinny ds looks fine in their shirts. With EOS going on, it might be worth giving them a try. How about Gymboree? They've got polos, and their sizing goes up to 12. Do you need a certain color?

crl
06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I think most brands of bigger boy sizes run like that. Small is 8-10, Med. is 10-12, and Larger is 12-14. Even Gymboree, which does single digit sizes, jumps from size 8 to 10.

Yes, I think it is all brands. But somehow the jump from size 8 pants to size 10 pants is huge. Before size 8, they have 5, 6, 7. Then all of a sudden, 10!

Catherine

HIU8
06-06-2011, 07:38 PM
DS can only wear navy blue and white. I think I will check out Gap and return the LE polos I bought. Funny thing, the LE sweatshirt I got DS (plain navy uniform sweatshirt) fits just fine (and is a little big).

ett
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Have you checked out LL Bean? They have navy blue and white.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43262?feat=503370-CL2

HIU8
06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Never even considered LLBean. Does their stuff run long or short?

ett
06-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Never even considered LLBean. Does their stuff run long or short?

I haven't bought too much for DS1 from LL Bean lately, so I can't say for sure. He had a couple of polos in size 6/7 and they didn't seem to run too short. You can do live chat with them and ask them for the actual garment dimensions. I've done that when ordering from them and knowing the actual dimensions was very helpful in choosing sizes.