PDA

View Full Version : Tips on nursing AND pumping?

Mommy_Again
06-03-2011, 07:43 AM
DC#3 refuses formula on the rare occassions I am out and miss a feeding (my other two took it without a problem). I pumped this morning before she woke up and she gulped it down. She eats 4 times a day...approx 8am, noon, 4 pm and 8 pm. I'm trying to figure out how I can schedule my normal nursing sessions AND store up some extra for the times when I'm gone. Specifically, an event we have to go to tomorrow night! Nothing like being down to the wire, right? I'd also like to store some up to freeze and have on hand for the future. It's pretty rare that I'd miss a feeding - maybe 1-2 times a month - but I'd do more if I could figure out how to make it work.

ashleybama24
06-03-2011, 08:39 AM
DC#3 refuses formula on the rare occassions I am out and miss a feeding (my other two took it without a problem). I pumped this morning before she woke up and she gulped it down. She eats 4 times a day...approx 8am, noon, 4 pm and 8 pm. I'm trying to figure out how I can schedule my normal nursing sessions AND store up some extra for the times when I'm gone. Specifically, an event we have to go to tomorrow night! Nothing like being down to the wire, right? I'd also like to store some up to freeze and have on hand for the future. It's pretty rare that I'd miss a feeding - maybe 1-2 times a month - but I'd do more if I could figure out how to make it work.

How old is DC3? You could pump at 10am, 2pm, 6pm or 10pm. For me it was easiest to pump after DS went to bed. I also sometimes had extra milk at the first am feeding so I could pump after I nursed and had enough milk.

Schmitty21
06-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Could you pump shortly after the morning feeding? I find I had lots of milk in the AM. While I was home on maternity leave, I wouldn't get that much during any single pumping session (average 2 oz), but I was still happy to have the extra for the freezer. Sometimes I would pump late at night, but I would produce less than the AM pumping.

If you can pump an extra 2 oz every day, or every other day, that should give you enough backup in the freezer on the rare occasions when you'd need it.

It was a lot of demand on the boobs to be nursing and pumping throughout the day, but it also helped create a strong supply for when I went back to work.

HonoluluMom
06-03-2011, 04:26 PM
I agree with a PP that you could pump in between your regular nursing sessions, maybe when your LO is napping. Also, at night before you go to bed. I also pumped in the middle of the night, usually around 2am or 3am.

ashleybama24
06-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I also pumped in the middle of the night, usually around 2am or 3am.

That is dedication!

Uno-Mom
06-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I pumped right after the first morning nursing session.

If you ever do need to use formula in an emergency ... you can mix a bottle half and half breastmilk and formula. That's what we did sometimes.

Mommy_Again
06-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Thank you all! I've been pumping a little at the start of each feeding, and nursing a little more often to make sure she's not getting shorted. I've done it twice so far today and I already have 2.5 ounces - if I can double that before tomorrow night, I can leave knowing she'll be fine. I think we'll be in good shape!

BabbyO
06-03-2011, 05:57 PM
I pumped and nursed simultaneously in the AM every.single.day. I found that my breasts were usually ready to burst anyway, so DS would nurse on one side, and I'd simultaneously pump the other side. DS had plenty to eat and I'd end up with nearly a full feeding's worth of milk every morning.

babyonway
06-03-2011, 06:42 PM
DS would nurse on one side, and I'd simultaneously pump the other side.

I've heard of people doing this but how exactly? Who do you hold your DS?

HonoluluMom
06-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Thank you all! I've been pumping a little at the start of each feeding, and nursing a little more often to make sure she's not getting shorted. I've done it twice so far today and I already have 2.5 ounces - if I can double that before tomorrow night, I can leave knowing she'll be fine. I think we'll be in good shape!

I may be wrong (there are a lot more people here with more knowledge), but I always thought the fattier milk came towards the end of the session. For that reason, I would always empty a breast when pumping to make sure I got the fattier milk.

mskitty
06-04-2011, 10:25 PM

PISA on the end table on the left side of the Lazyboy with DS on the right side in a football hold, tucked in against the right arm. Awkward at first but I quickly adapted. Did it for several months..

mskitty

Schmitty21
06-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I may be wrong (there are a lot more people here with more knowledge), but I always thought the fattier milk came towards the end of the session. For that reason, I would always empty a breast when pumping to make sure I got the fattier milk.

Yes, I have read that in several places. One explanation I heard is that the fat rises up in the breast towards the top/back of the milk ducts, so it does not come out right away. Foremilk is going to be more runny/watery, and the "hindmilk" is fattier. It's good to make sure you empty the entire breast so your LO (or the pumped milk) gets the appropriate amount of fat. I definitly observed the fat separating in the pump bottles, particularly in Friday's milk that sat in the fridge until Monday.

ashleybama24
06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
The hindmilk is thicker and richer. It helps babies know they are full and it's time to stop eating. I truly believe this is the reason formula fed babies are bigger or gain weight faster...they don't have the natural method to stop eating when they are full. DS always drank more from a bottle of bm than he did when he nursed.

BabbyO
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM

I was always able to sit at the kitchen table, DS in cradle hold on one side, and my pump on the table...flange on the other side. I'd hold the flange/bottle with my free hand.

I got pretty adept at holding DS in Football hold (when younger) or cradle hold with one hand and having the other hand free to do things.

If I was tired sometimes I'd throw on my pump bra and just hike the side DS was nursing on up so it wouldn't interfere with nursing, but I still could pump the one side hands free.