PDA

View Full Version : Update-Quick WWYD- Need your opinions about 8yo at swim party...

gatorsmom
06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Update- dh just called From the party and said none of the other parents stayed but there is very little supervision and he just fished out a kid who was having trouble in the pool. So, he's definitely staying.

--------------------------------------------------

DH and I are disagreeing about a birthday party that is suppose to happen in 2 hours. Our soon-to-be 8yo was invited to a birthday party that is a pool party. The parents are a doctor and his wife whom we have known for about 6 months. We just got the invitation 2 days ago (and it was RSVP regrets only) so I haven't had a chance to talk to the parents about how many kids will be there, how many adults will be there, etc. I know the pool is at their house.

Here is where we are disagreeing. DH offered to take Gator and drop him off. He said that at all the other birthday parties Gator has being going to, the parents drop off and leave. I agree with that, however, this is a SWIM party and in my mind that makes things different. Gator is a good swimmer. He was just invited to be on the local YMCA swim team. But I dont' know how good the other swimmers are. I don't know if the parents have strict rules about pool use and play. I would feel better if he stayed at the party, at least for the first half hour to see how the party is supervised.

WWYD?

egoldber
06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
IME pool parties are the exception to drop off parties. We have a friend with a pool who often has parties and her invites say "bring a towel and a grownup". No grownup = no swimming.

wimama
06-03-2011, 11:53 AM
IME pool parties are the exception to drop off parties. We have a friend with a pool who often has parties and her invites say "bring a towel and a grownup". No grownup = no swimming.

I think a pool party is a different ball game, than a regular drop off party. I wouldn't be comfortable with a drop off pool party. I would bet there are other parents staying. ;)

Globetrotter
06-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't drop off for a pool party. No matter how good a swimmer he is, you never know. Things happen, kids get out of hand, and so on. Heck, I feel this way about teens and water!

o_mom
06-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I would stay long enough to see how the supervision was, with no other plans so that I can stay the whole time if needed. We have friends with a pool and they actually hire a lifeguard for their larger parties so they don't have to worry about it.

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I'd be ok doing it as a drop off if there will be lifeguards there. I wouldn't trust party hosts at an at home party-- things get busy and easy to be distracted. Staying for a tiny bit wouldn't hurt and is a great way to get to know other families.

Beth

gatorsmom
06-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Update in op

Globetrotter
06-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm glad he stayed. I've had friends who had their kids fall in during parties. It is impossible for the party hosts to safely supervise.

kdeunc
06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Timely post for me as DS1, also 8, just got a pool party invitation. It will be at a public pool but I am still planning on staying as I don't know the parents at all nor how well supervised the public pool is. Glad your DH stayed, sounds like he was needed.

niccig
06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Update- dh just called From the party and said none of the other parents stayed but there is very little supervision and he just fished out a kid who was having trouble in the pool. So, he's definitely staying.

--------------------------------------------------

Yikes..lucky your Dh was there to help.

What are the other parents and the party hosts thinking??? At every pool party we've gone to, either all the parents are there or the hosts hired someone to be the lifeguard and their job is to just watch the swimmers.

LMPC
06-03-2011, 01:48 PM
So glad your DH decided to stay. Really don't know what those parents were thinking....[sigh].

gatorsmom
06-03-2011, 02:44 PM

What are the other parents and the party hosts thinking???

DH said that the parents had their older, teenage children help supervise (they have 4 older kids. Gator's 8yo friend is their youngest). But unfortunately, he thinks that because the teens are suppose to be helping, they are all a little relaxed thinking that the others are watching when no one actually is, kwim?

Gracemom
06-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Glad he stayed! I just had six 8 year olds at the neighborhood pool the other night, and I was stressed out trying to watch them all. I had another mom helping me, and two other parents stayed for the party, but I don't think I'm going to do that again. I had to fish one girl out from the middle of the pool because she got tired. All the girls are good swimmers too. You don't mess around with water.

essnce629
06-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Oh wow, how scary! I'd definately stay and DS1 will be 8 in August. In fact, DBF has stayed at the last 2 parties DS1 was at since he said all the other parents did drop offs and there was very little supervision and things were getting out of hand. The last party was at a public mini golf/arcade place and DBF didn't feel comfortable leaving at all.

Glad your DH stayed!

connor_mommy
06-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm glad you husband stayed! And I don't know what the other parents were thinking. We went to a swim party last year and the host hired a life guard to keep watch on the kids.