PDA

View Full Version : Where do you let your DC wear tap shoes?

WatchingThemGrow
06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
We've watched one too many episodes of Lawrence Welk, and my kids love to dance. DD has a pair of $1 tap shoes from a yard sale. I noticed they are not too friendly to the wood floor finish. Where do you let your DC tap? She's doing it in her room right now, like I won't hear.... :rotflmao:

bubbaray
06-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Like all dance shoes, they are only allowed to wear them IN THE DANCE STUDIO. They wear street shoes to and into the studio, then change there. Even my youngest learned this last year at age 2.5. We never ever wear any form of dance shoes anywhere other than the dance studio (well, or at the performance hall/theatre).

I won't even let DD#1 "tap" in the waiting room at the studio, it drives me bonkers. She's only allowed to tap in the studio itself.

maestramommy
06-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Do you have a room with tile? How about in your driveway?

ha98ed14
06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
She's only allowed to tap in the studio itself.

:yeahthat:

My DD takes a ballet/tab combo class. She is only allowed to wear her tap shoes in the dance studio if only for my nerves. My floors are nothing special ;) She has a pair of ballet shoes for home and a pair for class. The "home" ones are her onces from last term that wore through.

bubbaray
06-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm wondering if maybe OP's DD isn't in dance?? Not sure.

I don't want my kids wearing their dance shoes outside of the studio for a number of reasons -- mainly, its becuase its studio policy. Also, if they wore them at home, they would get covered in dog hair. :bag The issue specific to tap is also the noise and destruction of our (already trashed) hardwood floors.

ciw
06-03-2011, 04:43 PM
I took dance for many years as a child and I used to practice in my (decent-sized) bedroom. We had hardwood floors and my mom was pretty particular about them so tap shoes on the hardwood was a no-no. I had a thin piece of wood (particle board maybe?...Although I remember it being smoother and thinner than particle board) that I kept under the double bed in my room. The board was about the size of the bed. I'd slide it out from under the bed when I needed to practice and then slide it back when I was finished practicing. Maybe you could find something like that at Home Depot? You could cover the back with felt if need be. But if she's not a serious dancer and just wants to play around in a $1 pair of tap shoes (and doesn't need them for use in a dance studio), I might be tempted to let her use them on a sidewalk outside. That will probably kill the shoes eventually but better the shoes than your floors if she doesn't "need" the shoes for a performance or lessons.

sarahsthreads
06-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Like all dance shoes, they are only allowed to wear them IN THE DANCE STUDIO. They wear street shoes to and into the studio, then change there. Even my youngest learned this last year at age 2.5. We never ever wear any form of dance shoes anywhere other than the dance studio (well, or at the performance hall/theatre).

I won't even let DD#1 "tap" in the waiting room at the studio, it drives me bonkers. She's only allowed to tap in the studio itself.

:yeahthat:

If either DD goes into competition-level dancing and needs to practice with taps on at home, I'm considering ripping up some carpet in our partially finished basement and making a corner of it a mini dance area with a barre and mirror.

If your DD isn't actually in dance class and is just tapping for fun, I'd go with a piece of plywood or let her use them outside. I think they'd be awful for hardwoods. I'd also consider some earplugs, but my noise tolerance threshold is pretty low. ;)

Sarah :)

ha98ed14
06-03-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm wondering if maybe OP's DD isn't in dance?? Not sure.

I don't want my kids wearing their dance shoes outside of the studio for a number of reasons -- mainly, its becuase its studio policy. Also, if they wore them at home, they would get covered in dog hair. :bag The issue specific to tap is also the noise and destruction of our (already trashed) hardwood floors.

For us, the home ballet are already worn out enough that I don't care if they get trashed. It makes her happy to dance around in them at home, it's fine by me.

OP, if your DD isn't in dance, and you don't plan to use them for a class, I would let her wear the tap shoes any where you can stand to listen it it. ;) If you do think you will use them for a class, don't let her wear them on the drive way or sidewalk or it will ruin the taps.

infomama
06-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Tap shoes from a yard sale for play? I could care less as long as it's not on my Pergo. Let 'em have fun...

BabbyO
06-03-2011, 05:34 PM
We were only allowed to tap at the studio or on the concrete basement floor as kids (it was the only place we were allowed to practice).

If the shoes are for play...I'd say the driveway or patio are safe places (in terms of keeping your floors from getting ruined).

amldaley
06-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Can you find or make a cheap tap practice mat to put down to protect the wood floor?

WatchingThemGrow
06-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Wow. I had no idea they made portable tap boards. She did go out on the front porch to tap out there, which probably ruined those. She has another pair in the next size up as well. I'll let her tap away on the smooth concrete of our carport this summer.

She's not in a dance class right now, but after seeing her dance with a Pilobolus guy at our kids museum tonight (so much fun!!!) I think she may need to nurture her talent. She was spot on with everything he said to do. The perfect student. He stopped us on the way out to say he really appreciated her effort and talent. awwww... I can't believe he didn't say the same thing about me, lol.

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Dance studio only. Too slippery for some surfaces, too damaging for others.

eta- I remember letting my mom use them in the concrete basement.

Tap class rocks!!

Beth

bubbaray
06-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Sounds like ya got yourself a dancer, mom! Welcome to the club!!

:)