PDA

View Full Version : S/O The evolution of a sand hating mama

Clarity
06-03-2011, 10:36 PM
After tonight I have become a sand hater. My children were at a work picnic and I SENT them to play in the sand in the volleyball pit. I most assuredly was asking for trouble but I sent them along. A while later I spotted the girls making SAND ANGELS in the pit. I didn't get too excited but I insisted they stop and shed a silent tear over the formerly white capri's and formerly brand new clam diggers they were wearing. Fast forward 20 more minutes and oh, look, there are my girls rinsing themselves off in the water pump next to the picnic area! Ummm..ok, so now they're soaked and yep, dd2's white capri length leggings are now gray.

Friends are giggling at my girls and telling me that what's done is done. Ok, ok. I'm letting it go but watching that they don't waste too much water and they don't splash innocent adults.

My attention is drawn to a conversation and a moment later I look back up and my SOAKING WET CHILDREN HAVE RETURNED TO THE SAND PIT AND OMG THEY ARE LAYING IN THE SAND! Did I mention this was a work picnic? All of dh's colleagues were there. With a squawk of dismay I ordered both girls out of the sand. My 2 1/2 yr old had sand coating the entire front of her body, from hairline to chin, covering her outfit and down to her toes. She started flitting about the perimeter of the pavilion in her sandy state making sure she drew every eye. (Nobody else's children were in such a state.) *sigh* Meanwhile, DD1 returned to the water pump got herself more wet but a bit less sandy. I actually had to take dd2 to the park bathroom - picture your park bathroom - yeah. So I took her to the park bathroom, stripped her of her outfit and rinsed her sandy little self off in the sink. Her clothes were soaked, filthy and covered with sand. Ugh. I couldn't even get it all off the sink was too small.

Thank goodness I had just happened to pick up two dresses last night at ON and they were still in my car. I had to carry dd2 out of the bathroom clad in only her wet unders. Lots of broad grins as I took nearly naked dd to her daddy, gathered a wet/sandy dd1 and we made our way to the car for those NWT outfits. I did manage to get them dressed in the dry outfits but there were no dry unders to replace the ones they were wearing and there was no time for a bath when we got home to go to bed. I guess sand happens. But yeah, I officially hate sand.

I had just mentioned to dh this a.m. that we needed to get sand for the little yard sandbox that we have. Now I need other ideas for what to subsitute in there for the sand. Pebbles? Beans? Dirt? No, not dirt. Water? Any ideas? 'Cause there won't be sand in there, mark my words!!!!!!!

bubbaray
06-03-2011, 10:46 PM
This is the reason I don't take my girls to work functions.

Take pictures. It will seem funny a few years from now!

Clarity
06-03-2011, 11:19 PM
It's billed as a family picnic but still....it was in part to honor some retirees and I like to think that my children are well behaved. *usually*

I know that someone grabbed a camera to snap little dd2 covered with sand and someone else caught one of dd1 spraying/playing in the water but I hadn't even brought the camera. I did have to laugh at some point though when dd2 flitted over to me, she was just SO sandy that I burst out laughing. What else can you do? LOL

athompson
06-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Your daughters will be the life of the party one day (just like they were today) and just think about how BORING parties would be without people like them:D

elephantmeg
06-06-2011, 10:22 AM
all you have to do is
1) keep sand and water seperate
2) not send them to the sandbox in clean clothes. Our little sandbox is too small for sand angels. We do moisten the sand sometimes so they can make sandcastles but they always sit on the edge of the sandbox and play.

ROTFL about your story though. Work picnics can be HARD!

lhafer
06-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I think sand would be good. It would be a good way to teach them appropriate use of sand - how to clean up, etc.

I bet they were a sight!

PunkyBoo
06-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Two tips for you from a sand-hating mama who has resigned herself to park sandboxes being a "sometimes indulgence".

1. Keep baby powder and a rag in the trunk of your car at all times. It will help wipe the sand off the little bodies without any water around.

2. BEANS. I bought my sand-loving Boo a small plastic storage bin and a 10# bag of dried pinto beans from Costco. He can dig in the beans, scoop up the beans with old cups, drive his little dump trucks around in it, even stand his little 25-cent pinwheel up in it and use it as a bean-mill. He's a happy camper and I just have to clean up a few beans out of the carpet. I will never buy a cat-box, I mean sand-box, for my yard, but he can have the beans :)