PDA

View Full Version : Cedarworks playset? And any Wisconsin owners?

monicak
06-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I know there are a bunch of threads here on this subject (I've read those that I can find) We are looking at getting a playset. It is so overwhelming comparing all the options. We love the no-maintenance wood & look of Cedarworks. But they are so expensive, and we've never seen one in-person. (Lots of Rainbow here)

We have a 3 yr old & an infant. I am interested in opinions of the sure-step vs. just getting a ramp with rails as DH really wants a picnic table underneath. We are leaning toward a gazebo or jungle, not sure if we should do a swing ladder or just the beam for the swings. I'm not a big fan of monkey bars due to injury risk and we have low hanging utility wires above where the set will go so climbing on top of a swing ladder (when they are older) would be dangerous. But I like that we could put a climber on the other side of the swing ladder for future accessories, where with just the beam that isn't an option.

We also are considering the Playaround Trading Post, although it may be more "stuff" than we need & may not be as sturdy.

If anyone has advice on how they decided, or can share photos, I really appreciate it!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

WatchingThemGrow
06-04-2011, 02:59 PM
We have a Play-A-Round from Sam's - I think it is the smaller version, the Lookout. It's nice. I like the "look" of it, and the fact that it seems to have less splinters than others may. Ours showed a full picnic table under it, but it only had one bench, which was a bummer b/c we would totally use a whole picnic table under there like the lookout has.

And I didn't know this, but you know the gray that cedar shingles turn to? I think that's what this wood is supposed to do. We do "maintain" ours though b/c it looks dingy to me when it turns gray. We pressure wash and seal it every other year. Right now, ours looks brand new although it is 4 years old. Probably could stand it every year if we had the energy. And, it gets big cracks in the wood that "look" dangerous to me, but they promise me it's natural and isn't really an issue for stability. I'd buy it again, but I'd totally rather have (and will need) the Trading Post version at the next house since we now have 3 DC (bought when we just had a one toddler) plus lots of swinging visitors. Oh, and check the distance between the swing mounts. I feel like ours is a touch closer together than the Rainbow sets are, but not $5000 worth closer.