PDA

View Full Version : Consign, BBB Swap list or something else

lowrioh
06-05-2011, 09:32 AM
My friend gave me bags and bags of baby clothes and has told me emphatically to take them and do what ever with them because she does not want them back. A lot of it is high end baby things that will be the wrong season or DD2 is already too big for.
There is a lot of Mini Boden, HA, Lord and Taylor, Jacadi, Zutano, Nordstrom Baby, etc. There is also a bunch of Gymbo, Baby Gap, Carters. I want to sell some of these but I don't have a ton of time to deal with ebay. I was going to tag them and take them to the Consignment Sale (Totswap in Columbia) but I'm not sure how well the high end stuff sells there. It would be a lot less work than selling things individually but if people aren't going to know the brands then they aren't going to sell for the listing prices anyway.
I'm on the BBBSwap list and a couple of other online sites. Have people had a lot of success selling of these lists?
Is there a site I can go to to figure out what to charge for each item?
TIA

anonomom
06-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Have you looked to see if there are any upscale consignment sales in your area? Where I am (NC), there are several sales that specialize in upmarket brands, and I'd imagine DC must have a least one or two similar sales. The good thing there is that the shoppers tend to be very familiar with the brands and what one can expect to pay for them.

crl
06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't know that consignment sale in particular, but I think most consignment sale shoppers do know brands pretty well.

I would be careful to document what you consign if you go that way. My entire lot disappeared the one time I tried a consignment sale.

You might try smallish lots on CL, but I don't think you will get the full value that way.

Catherine

ashleybama24
06-05-2011, 07:44 PM
We have consignment stores that take only high end clothing. It sells for half or less than regular retail so it's still a deal. Plus you make more money than other places.

LMPC
06-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I would try and find a nice consignment shop before I would do a sale with that kind of stuff. I find that the higher end consignment store I send some of DD's stuff to is able to get great prices for me that offsets the crappier split they give me.

alexmommy
06-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Just PM'ed you.

lowrioh
06-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I didn't even think about things disappearing. I will look into some of the nicer consignment stores in the area. The one closest to me takes 30 items at a time and is on Capitol Hill which is only 15 min away. And there are a couple in other cities in the DC area. Now I just have to sort through all the stuff.
Hopefully I can get some decent sales.
Thanks!

jvs195
06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I would start with a smallish batch at a decent consignment store first and see how that goes. If you're happy with your take (and it's all free $ to you if these were given to you), factoring in that you don't have to photo, price, tag, pack, ship, beg people for payments etc... I consign at JBF in Loudoun and find the really high end stuff doesn't do as well as it might at a consignment store. Of course people tend to overprice them so I only see what doesn't sell. Dani's Duds is reportedly good for higher end, but I've not consigned with them yet (they're at the Dulles Expo Center). I've had very good luck selling on BBB Swap, but you do have to do the work to photo, price and then negotiate, pack and ship...

A1icia
06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I'd take the high end stuff to a nice consignment shop - I use The Wiggle Room in Bethesda.

IMHO, the folks at the Totswap do recognize good brands but are still looking for really good bargains.

crl
06-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Dani's Duds is where my stuff disappeared, FYI. We used to live in NoVA.

Catherine

jvs195
06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Dani's Duds is where my stuff disappeared, FYI. We used to live in NoVA.

Catherine

Yikes, that's terrible. I had not heard of this happening from the people I spoke with about it, but I can certainly see how it can happen at some of the larger sales. I know they have just started a system similar to JBF with online tags and daily tracking so maybe this is why?

crl
06-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Yikes, that's terrible. I had not heard of this happening from the people I spoke with about it, but I can certainly see how it can happen at some of the larger sales. I know they have just started a system similar to JBF with online tags and daily tracking so maybe this is why?

My experience was several years ago. I would hope they have improved tracking. I did not have a list prepared for them to sign when I dropped off, which was clearly my negligence. But my entire consignment, which included many washed once, never worn HAs and Jack and Janie clothes in 12 month or so sizes just disappeared. When I inquired about it, the people who run the show were not very polite or very responsive. I haven't bothered with a consignment sale since.

Catherine

A1icia
06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
That is horrible about stuff disappearing. So far I've sold in three Totswaps (about 100 items each time) and have only lost track of a few items and nothing valuable.

After the first time I don't even bother taking the nice stuff (Boden, HA, J&J, boutique clothing) - that all goes to The Wiggle Room.

I generally sell any but the nicest GAP/OldNavy and Gymbo at Totswap along with any cheaper brands. I price stuff to SELL! So far I've actually had the best luck selling dear and toys at the Totswap - almost everything sells, its great. My understanding is that the 2-5 clothing does the best of clothing.

Good luck!