PDA

View Full Version : Plastic or Wooden table/Chair set?

lhafer
06-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I have a 5yr old a 15mo old. They have a Step 2 table and chair set that's still going strong after 4 years. But it's an old design and the chairs tip easily. The table is getting a little worn looking. And I am looking to replace it. It is kept in the kitchen, but gets scooted all over the house.

Should I go with a wooden table/chair set or a plastic one? What do you recommend, and which table/chair set has worked for your kids?

Our current table gets used every single day for eating, art projects, drawing, playdo playing, etc. So it needs to be durable. My 5 year old LOVES this table, and I don't want to get something that would be too small for her. The 15mo I am sure will start using it more closer to 18-24mo old. But I would like something that is not too big for her either.

We also have a Nilo table that I am considering getting chairs for. But I am hesitant to make this the "everything" table because it's on an Asian rug in my living room - and we really can't put it anywhere else. So I am afraid of stuff spilling. Though I guess I can always put some sort of mat down underneath it.

If I just got chairs for the Nilo table - which chairs should I get?? The chairs that come with the Nilo table are stools. I am not sure how those would work with a child younger than 2years old.

Kindra178
06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
We have the Nilo table with the stools. It's a fine activity table, but tough for eating and art projects because of that lip that goes all around it.

When I read the title of your post, I initially thought you should get a wood table but then when I read your post, I think a plastic one may better suit your needs. You said that you scoot it all around the house. That's tough to do with wood table, or at least any of the wood tables we have from LON or PB. They are heavy and bulky. The kidkraft tables are considerably lighter though. One table that may be worth a look is the Svan on.

toby
06-07-2011, 07:46 AM
http://www.littlecolorado.com/stock44.html

These are not cheap, but we love ours (2nd one down in honey oak instead of white). However, I am re-reading your post and I'm not sure that it is big enough for your needs...

I don't know the answer about chairs for your Nilo table, but getting some and then putting a mat under that table sounds like a good solution.

lhafer
06-07-2011, 08:22 AM
http://www.littlecolorado.com/stock44.html

These are not cheap, but we love ours (2nd one down in honey oak instead of white). However, I am re-reading your post and I'm not sure that it is big enough for your needs...

I don't know the answer about chairs for your Nilo table, but getting some and then putting a mat under that table sounds like a good solution.

Thanks for the link. I updated my other post in the Lounge, and forgot to update this one. I went to Ikea and Pottery Barn Kids. PBK had a table that I loved, but didn't love the price (of course!). I wasn't over-enthused about Ikea and left empty handed.

I came home and thought about it some more. I decided that the new table and chairs should be more geared to my younger daughter and something she can grow into. And my older daughter can start using the Nilo table more. So after much searching around, I decided to order this:

- I got this bench seat for the Nilo table to create more storage as well as seating. It's Ikea, but I couldn't find this particular model in the store. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QX69E8

- I got 2 Nilo stools to go with the Nilo table. The stool height is the same height as the seat height on the table/chair set I got so they can be used either place.

- I went with a Kidkraft table/chair set. I decided on a square table instead of a longer table - well, because we DO have the Nilo table for projects and fun that require more space. So I went with this set: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005U2DO

Once I get everything in and all set up - I will update with pictures!!! Thanks for everyone's input! It really helped me decide a few things.