PDA

View Full Version : Cross-cultural baby wearing moment.

Uno-Mom
06-06-2011, 01:05 AM
I had a nice experience this weekend that not many people IRL would appreciate:

I was leaving our Thai food place with my takeout and spotted this beautiful woman who had a baby on her back. She had a couple older kids trotting along beside. I'd never seen a wrap done that way - it was kind of like a tube top, with nothing over her shoulders. And it was a fantastic print fabric.

She passed close by me, so, in keeping with the sorority/fraternity of babywearers I said: "Wow, that's a beautiful wrap!"

She stopped, startled, and replied in a language I didn't recognize! The mom was a black woman and I'd assumed she was your typical American - but I now guess she probably came her recently from Africa. (Going from the style, print of her wrap and general dress. I didn't recognize her language.) I don't think she had a clue what I'd just said!

So, a hilarious gestural conversation ensued. Would've been a whole lot easier to explain if I'd been wearing Sprog at the time, but she was home with daddy. :ROTFLMAO: My new friend probably still thought I was a nutty American (and she's correct) but I think she understood my compliment in the end. We giggled at the silly situation.

Just needed to share because this made me happy.

citymama
06-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Cool story! I wonder how that carrier works!

I've seen many Chinese grandmas around here carrying babies in a home-made mei tai. I always chuckle to think how much the rest of us spend on carriers that are made of any available length of fabric in most parts of the world.

MommytoEliana
06-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I'd never seen a wrap done that way - it was kind of like a tube top, with nothing over her shoulders.

That's the way it's done in Madagascar and many parts of E. Africa, I believe. I've tried it but never was able to feel like it was secure enough.

ABO Mama
06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I believe it's called a kanga wrap. It's a torso carry, and a nice change up if your shoulders are sore.

elektra
06-06-2011, 12:42 PM
They do it that way in Mexico too, per DH's grandmother- where it's just wrapped around your middle like that. I think she called it a rebozo or something like that. She also thinks we are funny for wanting to wear the baby when we have a perfectly nice stroller to push them in! Something she didn't have the option of doing.
(She also thinks we are ridiculous for camping too, when we have a perfectly nice house! I guess she used to live in a tent at one point. )

Uno-Mom
06-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Interesting how perspectives vary culturally.

I bet one reason why certain techniques feel ill-fitting to us is that most of us use manufactured products that are sort of one-size-fits-most instead of just whipping them up our own at home. If we were used to making them at home, we'd naturally fit them to our bodies perfectly.