PDA

View Full Version : Maine--which area to stay?

BeachBum
06-07-2011, 09:18 AM
We are thinking of taking a summer trip to Maine (yet I realize many places are totally booked up).
I keep looking at the Camden area because it seems very central for day trips. We will probably rent a house for a week.

Would somewhere else make a better "base" for travels? We don't have any real "must do" things... we haven't visited the area before and wanted to just get a taste for the the scenery, food, and little towns. We will have our kids with us (two toddlers and a 5 yr old)...we wanted somewhere walkable for dinner/ lunch...maybe a park.

it's significantly cheaper to fly into portland vs bangor...so we dont want to get too far north.

suggestions?

khalloc
06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I always liked York Beach as a kid. There's a little town to walk around in.

Smillow
06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
We love Boothbay Harbor - lots to do!

MizMojoLaveau
06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
:yeahthat: Boothbay Harbor is beautiful!

Swimfreak78
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
The Portland area is great. Children's museums, quick ferry trip to the islands, lots of walking around. One of my favorite things to do as a child was to take the ferry out to Peaks Island. It's only about a 20 minute ferry ride, but the island is so different than city life. You can bring a picnic lunch and there's lots of walking, beaches, ice cream. I'm sure you could rent a house there for a week and be close the city. Beware though, bringing a rental car over to the island could be pricy. If you flew into Boston, I'd drive up and turn in the rental car or figure out a place to put it in Portland for the week so you had accessiblity for day trips.

You could also consider flying into Boston and renting a car since you will save even more $$. I grew up west of Portland -- and am familiar with things around there.

Camden is beautiful - lots to do, walkable as well. The schooners sail in and out as well. Not sure how old your toddlers are or favorite activies but that might help me make some suggestions!

wolverine2
06-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Camden is lovely- feels more like "real" Maine than the southern areas (well, to me). It depends on what you want to do... there's great hiking there (you can drive to the top of Mt. Battie and the view is incredible), the town is really cute. No good beaches nearby, but you could drive down the coast.

Boothbay would also be a good base (though as a town, I like Camden better). There's a nice botanical gardens there with a great children's garden, and you're not too far from some great beaches (Popham Beach, Reid State Park). Damariscotta and Wiscasset are fun to visit on the way. The lines at Red's Eats for lobster rolls in Wiscasset are legendary.

MizMojoLaveau
06-20-2011, 03:20 PM
The lines at Red's Eats for lobster rolls in Wiscasset are legendary.

Yes, just got back from our Boothbay trip and ate outside at Red's. The Lighthouse Lobster Shack and village was our fav, though! http://www.maineheritagevillage.com/
If you go there, asks for April if you don't know how to eat a lobster or the local clams. She is great and will give you a lesson!

I also recommend visiting the general store in East Boothbay if you stay near there (http://www.ebgs.us/). Their breakfast pizza is wonderful.

You can pay to park by the hour or all day down by the harbor and walk around the shops. Pemaquid Point, like Wiscassett, is not a far drive. The lighthouse there is beautiful and a has great picnic area. The botanical garden in Boothbay has an awesome children's garden that just opened last year. We also really enjoyed a day boat trip (might need Ginger or Dramamine for motion sickness if prone) to Monhegan Island on
http://www.balmydayscruises.com/

Just driving through ocean point was great. There is parking all along the road where kids can climb on the rocks.

My DC, ages 2 and 5, thoroughly enjoyed our trip to East Boothbay and surrounds. I highly recommend it!